SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Here's a nice letter to the editor from the hometown newspaper of the University of Illinois.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/...e_as_a_surprise

Wear a hat someone disagrees with? You're a racist. :)

Love to see that guy come up to Chicago during hockey season. (Personally, I would have loved to see him try to "talk some sense" into the balcony dwellers at the old Stadium. It was a long walk up there, and people were in no mood for nonsense by the time they got to their seats.)

This is a great example of just how narcissistic, hypocritical and infantile these types are. The real "racist" was the guy who complained to the restaurant owner. I doubt if the guy ever had eaten there to begin with. What a bunch of clowns. This is simply further evidence of why these people need to be opposed and countered at every turn.

I'm already chilling a bottle of bubbly for the day the lawsuit is settled and the Sioux name prevails. I'm even thinking about getting a tattoo to match my Sioux hockey jersey. If the guy that refused to eat at Zorbas is passing through Sioux Falls, SD or Sioux City Iowa, I hope he keeps going and doesn't need to stop for gas. :)

If the guy that refused to eat at Zorbas is passing through Sioux Falls, SD or Sioux City Iowa, I hope he keeps going and doesn't need to stop for gas. :)
I'd hope he wouldn't even check the gas gauge (being satisfied that he knows everything) and in my version of a perfect world he'd keep going until he got to grizzly bear territory in say, Montana; where he'd run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere.

And he'd get out of his car to enjoy a sandwich from his preferred PC vendor at that time.

We can nickname the checking line the "Bible Thumpers".
Maybe your big enforcer could be the Bible Belter.

The Blue (Line) Law could refer to your strong defense.

BTW, here's a letter to the editor with a far different tone. I didn't send it, but I do agree with the author.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/...erful_chief_was

Some may be interested to see this video story about another Illiniwek fan-he recreated the logo in his back yard.

http://illinoishomepage.net/content/fulltext/?cid=6821

BTW, his ancestry is partly Native American. That should drive some people nuts. :silly:

Wow! Great reproduction.

Has anyone else noticed that a large number of people who claim Native American ancestry say they're Cherokee? Not in this case but I've usually heard them say they're descendants of a Cherokee princess (no such thing as a NA princess) or chieftain.

Judge Jahnke has halted all discovery until August 19. link.

So any speculation as to what the terms of any "settlement" might be? What kind of things do you think they are bantering around? With the abyss between the two sides concerning the nickname, I can't imagine any settlement possible. Am I wrong?

So any speculation as to what the terms of any "settlement" might be? What kind of things do you think they are bantering around? With the abyss between the two sides concerning the nickname, I can't imagine any settlement possible. Am I wrong?

I could be wrong, but I don't interpret "settle unresolved differences" as discussing terms of a settlement. It could mean that, but I wouldn't assume it. My interpretation is that there are differences related to the disovery process, which might explain why Jahnke stopped it for now. Perhaps one of our resident legal experts could provide some insight.

I could be wrong, but I don't interpret "settle unresolved differences" as discussing terms of a settlement. It could mean that, but I wouldn't assume it. My interpretation is that there are differences related to the disovery process, which might explain why Jahnke stopped it for now. Perhaps one of our resident legal experts could provide some insight.

I took this sentence to mean that the Judge halted the discovery process so the parties could work on settling the underlying case, not simply a discovery dispute:

"As you know, the parties have been involved in settlement discussions for some time," Stenehjem wrote. "The judge's order gives both sides time to continue discussions without having to worry about the discovery process."

I took this sentence to mean that the Judge halted the discovery process so the parties could work on settling the underlying case, not simply a discovery dispute:

That seems to be the case now. The e-mail from Stenehjem apparently came after the initial story was written because it wasn't orignially mentioned.

That seems to be the case now. The e-mail from Stenehjem apparently came after the initial story was written because it wasn't orignially mentioned.

So, any speculation as to what the terms could be? PCM? ScottM? Goon? anyone else? I imagine they all would be tight-lipped about it but there should be someone "in the know" or pretty familiar with the process that could at least speculate as to what any terms would be? I can't see the NCAA accepting anything less than a full change of the name. Perhaps a "phased-out" change where the name would be used for a number of years and then dropped? I can't imagine the alumni association would be favorable to this unless they've gone all wobbly. Perhaps the U keeps the name and mandates "sensitivity" courses for all incoming freshmen on NA stuff? On a different note, I'm sure glad that Stenehjem got elected rather than that weenie who was scumming him about a week ago.

In Mankato, there are some professors and a few students who make the rounds when the Sioux come to town. I'd sure hate to see people of their ilk rewarded for incessant whining.

I don't see any settlement unless UND keeps its name/logo, otherwise why bother spending all of that money that could have gone to scholarships, faculty, etc.? :lol::D I think UND has the stronger position, notwithstanding the shaky anti-trust claim. Moreover, I think the NC$$ has some serious dirty laundry in its governance structure that they (Myles & Co.) do not want made known to the public, Congress or its own membership. As well, given the inherent uncertainty of litigation, and the press a trial might generate, I think the NC$$ has some serious incentives to settle and be able to say "We'll we tried to get rid of that name for you, but if they won every school in the world would sue us and change their name to 'Savages', 'Warriors', 'Redskins' or 'Micks'. ;)

Anyway, I would expect a pretty narrow settlement that may require UND to mandate sensitivity training for the frosh and athletes, greater $$$ outreach to NA communities, etc. Maybe "Fighting" goes away too. Meanwhile, the NC$$ takes UND off the "hostile or abusive" list, and quits trying to impede its competitive efforts with regard to scheduling, etc.

Scott_M said: Moreover, I think the NC$$ has some serious dirty laundry in its governance structure that they (Myles & Co.) do not want made known to the public, Congress or its own membership. As well, given the inherent uncertainty of litigation, and the press a trial might generate, I think the NC$$ has some serious incentives to settle

I am not a lawyer but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night :lol: I think that is what it kind of sounds like UND found something that would embarass the NCAA and the judge stepped in, to prevent further squabling. No one knows anything around town about this suit. All you hear is stuff from time to time but none of it is anything but rumor and speculation. I agree with Scott, the only settlement that I see is one where UND keeps the name. No other. I also think the next president is going to have to lead UND post law suit and they are going to have to be on board like Chuck is now.

I wonder if the NCAA is thinking, "Wow...these people have dropped a lot of coin and they are serious about this. Let's settle this." I am so proud that we have people that want to stand up and fight for the name. GO SIOUX!