SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Here's a taste of what you can expect in the near future:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/...speech_at_issue

The (University of Illinois Campus) Senate's equal opportunity committee attempted to pass a resolution that would have dissociated the university administration from future homecoming displays.

More significantly, it also would have put the Senate on record as saying that any effort to display Chief Illiniwek imagery at a campus event jeopardizes the authority of the administration to condemn free speech expressions that also "are legitimately read as negative stereotyping of members of underrepresented, historically disadvantaged or marginalized groups" on campus.

The Campus Senate had no problem with Homecoming a few years back when a COLLEGE (!) decided to sponsor a group that marched with Chief Illiniwek in a coffin. That was considered free speech.

And probably it would be considered "the good kind" of free speech by the pinheads pushing this resolution. ;)

I am surprised that no one has brought up the yeah but their Chipewa.

Unfortunately someone already has....see the article at the bottom; someone more or less said, "c'mon Oshie is only 1/4 Native American and he's not even Sioux!" something along those lines.

By this logic, anyone who is not Sioux should not have a say in the matter. If that's the case, then those white elitists at NC$$ headquarters shouldn't have any jurisdiction either.

Unfortunately someone already has....see the article at the bottom; someone more or less said, "c'mon Oshie is only 1/4 Native American and he's not even Sioux!" something along those lines.

It figures. When I did an article on Marc Ranfranz for USCHO, our buddy GrahamKracker claimed that Marc wasn't "Sioux enough." And then there were those who were offended that a non-Sioux artist designed UND's logo, as if they would have supported it otherwise.

So it follows that someone who thinks it's "a stretch" for the Oshies to support the Fighting Sioux nickname or that T.J. might inspire Native American youth would believe that only the opinions of 100 percent Sioux should matter.

By this logic, anyone who is not Sioux should not have a say in the matter. If that's the case, then those white elitists at NC$$ headquarters shouldn't have any jurisdiction either.

It's interesting that when certain non-Sioux American Indians speak out about the Fighting Sioux nickname, nobody tells them to shut up. ;)

It's interesting that when certain non-Sioux American Indians speak out about the Fighting Sioux nickname, nobody tells them to shut up. ;)

You mean like Lucy Ganje? Or her daughter Holly Annis? Doreen Yellow Bird? Leigh Jeanotte? David Gipp?

Mentioning TJ Oshie's only 1/4 Ojibwe, how "Indian" (much less Sioux) is Holly Annis?

Wouldn't we have to weight that opinion the same way?

Ya'know, this game could get fun fast. ;)

I guess that rules out all the those people at UND that are anti Sioux. Lets see white liberal college professors.

I guess that rules out all the those people at UND that are anti Sioux. Lets see white liberal college professors.
Exactly. How many times have we seen someone "outraged" by this insult to just one particular group (of which he/she is not a part of) and yet totally indifferent to any other group???

The Florida Seminole tribe has some pretty stringent membership rules. Not just anyone can call himself a Seminole. I have to wonder how many other tribes have this type of rule. Personally, I believe it would goe hand-in-hand with the amount of money one can get by being a member.

I'm working a crossword puzzle, and that's the clue.

It's six letters and starts with "r" .....

That's hogwash, Sicatoka.

Anyone who has ever heard the likes of GK, Fharakhan (sp?), Jesse Jackson, and so on speak knows that the term "racist" can only describe a white person.

Black people spouting Anti-white slurs are just voicing their frustration at some perceived oppression or injustice.

Native American people spouting anti-white slurs are just voicing their frustrations for the same reason.

We'll just have to come to grips with the fact that it is ok for Blacks, Native Americans, and other minorities to be Anti-White but it is NOT ok for the opposite, be interpreted as the opposite, or disagree with the way those minorities operate with regards to minority issues.

Let the people speak..

One common theme of the interviews was that the enrolled members of the reservation, not the tribal council, should decide the nickname's fate.

Some people advocated a reservation-wide referendum, following debates in every district between nickname supporters and opponents. Others thought it would be sufficient to take a popular vote at meetings of the governing councils of the reservation's eight districts and to take those results to the tribal council.

Standing Rock's nickname, supporters speak out

So I wonder if Ron His Horse Thunder will say anything about this article? The anti-logo people will say that UND and the Herald cooked the booked and loaded this article with a bunch of people pro-nick name and wrote an article that was one sided and didn't give the other side of the coin a voice.

I do think the newspaper did a good job disclosing the fact that the forum (and therefore the article) was from a single point of view, and that the people got carfare to speak. Nobody can say they tried to present this as some sort of debate or even the viewpoint of an overwhelming number of Sioux.

I also think that anybody who disagrees with the people quoted in the paper will have absolutely no problem finding a media outlet who will put their viewpoint in print, on the air, on the Internet, etc. :lol:

But if those who disagree with these people do get into print, I wish they would speak to the point that the woman raised about heating her house. How will making North Dakota change nicknames actually help her out? Will it build a school, a hospital, etc. on the reservations?

And I hope they will tell us why the Seminoles, Chips, etc. haven't had a problem with a school using a nickname, but the Sioux should. And why Chief Osceola is perfectly fine.

If the anti-nickname Indians disagree with holding a popular referendum among all tribal members on the issue, let them also give a rationalization of that viewpoint.

An interesting quote from someone there:

"...Respectable men gave them that name. Who are these guys to take it away.

The

anti-logo people will say that UND and the Herald cooked the booked and loaded this article with a bunch of people pro-nick name and wrote an article that was one sided and didn't give the other side of the coin a voice.

The herald already covered it's @$$. Just to make sure that everyone knows that they are not going to drop their anti-name stance they were sure to throw in this paragraph in the very beginning of the article.

The interviews were not organized as a debate. No nickname opponents were invited, and none of the people interviewed serves on the reservation's 17-member tribal council. Most of those interviewed were given a meal and gas money, paid by the REA through Dupris.

To that guy a few months ago that was mad people were saying the herald was blantanly against the logo and never runs an unbiased story, here is what we were all talking about. The herald could not write a single article that showed there are people who support the logo without throwing in a statement like this. They had to just drop it in there to create some doubt and make it sound like they were paid for their statements. :lol:

From now on when they print articles stroking the ego of Ron, I expect a similar paragraph stateing that they did not invite any name-supporters to give quotes for the article.

There is a reason I will never purchase a herald/forum or watch wday/wdaz.