SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

......, or is this standard procedure?

This would indicate not,

North Dakota Newspaper Association attorney Jack McDonald said it's unusual to place a blanket seal on all documents filed in a court case. He described it as akin to closing a courtroom. More typically, he said, a judge would choose to seal individual documents that contain particularly sensitive information and provide an explanation why less restrictive measures to protect the information would be insufficient.

Owl mascot unsettling for members of tribe

Jarrid Smith almost did not come to Florida Atlantic to play football because of the school's mascot.

"An owl is a sign that death is coming in my culture," said Smith, a member of the Seminole Tribe of Florida. "It was a big deal to me, but a bigger deal to my mom."

"It still is tough," said Camellia Smith, who has been to all but one of her son's games during his career at FAU. "It is a deep, traditional thing. I still think about it." ...

"We have FAU things around the house, but nothing with that bird on it," Camellia Smith said.

So, what the hell does this mean in real terms? Perhaps the availability of all docs would improve "settlement" chances because the NC00 would be exposed. I don't see how doing what the Judge did improves "settlement" chances. What do you think is really going on behind closed doors? Personally, I think that the NC00 is being told that when this goes to trial some embarassing stuff will pop up. Maybe the NC00 is searching for a way to "honorably" exit the process, save some face and lick its wounds. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic?

I think, in practical terms, the sides have probably been talking, and at times have been close. However, it's possible that given possible "skeletons" in the parties' closets, such as internal memos, depositions, etc., that the judge decided to effectively go dark with the proceedings to avoid petty, marginal issues getting in the way of a final resolution.

As a practical matter, I'm surprised some media group hasn't already moved for a lifting of the order. :silly:

This is something I alluded to a few months ago. There are many animals that are symbolic to native americans, in one way ore another. let's see, bison, eagles, ect. look out ndsu and bc, you may find yourself in a similar situation someday.

Asinine. Simply asinine. I agree with you.

However, it's possible that given possible "skeletons" in the parties' closets, such as internal memos, depositions, etc., that the judge decided to effectively go dark with the proceedings to avoid petty, marginal issues getting in the way of a final resolution.

Its JMHO, but I think that any resolution would need a tribal signoff on the use of the name-and I don't think that's close to happening. Therefore, those embarrassing memos will see the light of day sooner or later. It just seems to me that if this judge is holding out hope for a out-of-court settlement, he could be in for a long wait.

There are many animals that are symbolic to native americans, in one way ore another. let's see, bison, eagles, ect. look out ndsu and bc, you may find yourself in a similar situation someday.

One of my favorite subjects too: why limit this to those Native Americans who can trace their tribes to locations within the current boundaries of the continental United States? Shouldn't we respect all religions? Shouldn't the Longhorns have to change to avoid offending people who worship sacred cows? How about Alabama giving up that elephant because some societies worship elephants?

And finally, my own university got quite an award: its called a "Worsty", and the Illinois Press Association handed it out because the University violated the Open Meetings Act when they canned Chief. It's well deserved.

A Worsty for our cowardly Board of Trustees

It just seems to me that if this judge is holding out hope for a out-of-court settlement, he could be in for a long wait.

Maybe. But I think it's more likely that the attorneys are giving the Judge a reason to think that they are making progress and settlement is possible. That doesn't mean it will happen, but it's certainly possible.

It would be interesting to know whether this case has mediated yet and who the mediator was or will be. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure N.D. is a state that requires ADR.

http://www.indianmascots.com/

Interesting anti indian mascot site on the web. I was kind of comcerned with the map of Wisconsin where they have the locations of the indian named schools.

Just from looking at the map it almost looked like they were waging some sort of war game where the object of the game is to wipe out all indian names off the map.

VIEWPOINT: Timing couldn't be worse to change nickname, logo
The Sioux are a great nation whose people settled on the northern Plains and have contributed so much to the development of this region. I believe UND and its respectful use of the Sioux nickname and logo is, perhaps, modern America's most powerful way to promote the history, culture and positive attributes of the Great Sioux Nation throughout the Great Plains and the U.S.

Maybe. But I think it's more likely that the attorneys are giving the Judge a reason to think that they are making progress and settlement is possible. That doesn't mean it will happen, but it's certainly possible.
I guess I'm wondering what the people on this board (and I'm specifically excluding the University administrators, trustees and so on) would be willing to "give up" as part of the settlement. AFAIK, you have two bargaining chips: the name "Sioux" and the logo. As I have read the board, I'd say most of the people here are unwilling to sacrifice either of those things. Therefore I couldn't see any resolution that would be supported by the average North Dakota fan. (And that's why I excluded the administrators from my argument above. The only way I could imagine the University saying they were making progress is if they were willing to give up something under certain conditions-but they wanted to present it as a fait acompli to the public, avoiding a political backlash during negotiations.)

AFAIK, you have two bargaining chips: the name "Sioux" and the logo. As I have read the board, I'd say most of the people here are unwilling to sacrifice either of those things. Therefore I couldn't see any resolution that would be supported by the average North Dakota fan.

Actually, we have three chips. "Fighting", "Sioux", and the logo. I agree that nobody would stand for dropping "Sioux" or the logo, but I can maybe see a save-face settlement where UND drops "Fighting" from its "Fighting Sioux" nickname and retains Sioux and the logo.

Actually, we have three chips. "Fighting", "Sioux", and the logo. I agree that nobody would stand for dropping "Sioux" or the logo, but I can maybe see a save-face settlement where UND drops "Fighting" from its "Fighting Sioux" nickname and retains Sioux and the logo.

If the NCAA would offer that, I'd think most North Dakota fans would take it and run like a thief, laughing so hard it would make their sides ache for the rest of all time.

Personally, I can't imagine the NCAA offering this one, but who knows what will happen. And if this did happen, I wonder what they (the NCAA) would say to William and Mary (just to choose someone else that was screwed over). IIRC, that school was forced to drop the two feathers they had as a logo but the NCAA was okay with the name "Tribe".

It will be interesting to see whatever happens. And one hundred years from now, if anyone can make any sense of what all of this mess created by the NCAA actually meant, they'll be wondering "what were they thinking?" ;)

I know at one time in the past "Fighting" was seen as a big part of the problem with the nickname. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now, and IMO it doesn't get much play anymore. If that's really a chip I'll be surprised. A warrior is a fighter. In having a Sioux warrior as a logo, I never understood why "Fighting" was somehow a problem in the nickname. IMO that's what our nickname is. The Sioux warrior of the plains. The best light cavalry in the world at the time. They didn't get their reputation planting cucumbers.

We should not be giving up any of them. The NC00 should get nothing from its "policy" dictates at all. Giving anything just gives the same malcontents more reason to crawl out of the walls again later.

A warrior is a fighter. In having a Sioux warrior as a logo, I never understood why "Fighting" was somehow a problem in the nickname. IMO that's what our nickname is. The Sioux warrior of the plains. The best light cavalry in the world at the time. They didn't get their reputation planting cucumbers.

One reason I didn't consider it a "bargaining chip" was that if you were the "Fighting Cucumber Planters" the number of opponents to your nickname would be far less than the number today.
;)
But OTOH, this could be one more lever to get Notre Dame into the debate, which would end this entire battle immediately.

We should not be giving up any of them. The NC00 should get nothing from its "policy" dictates at all. Giving anything just gives the same malcontents more reason to crawl out of the walls again later.

It may not be the exact same group of people, but if you should change your name I'm quite confident there will be someone protesting it no matter how benign you think it is.

DING-DING-DING-DING!!! That is the correct answer. To the other contestants: Thanks for playing!