SiouxSports.com Forum

Summer Timeline/Events

jk

I find the losers quip laughable.

It's interesting that, despite their lack of success, the Cubs have the second largest fan base in major league baseball (the Yanqueens have the largest).  Fascinating, no?  Cubs merchandise is the third highest selling in professional sports behind Yanqueen and LaQu..(you get the picture) gear. 

They sell out more often than the White Sox, they routinely sell out all of their season tickets, Wrigley Field is consistently one of the highest ranked ballparks for visitors to visit in the world, Food Network and the Travel channel list Wrigley as being superior in their markets for nostalgia and must sees (travel network) and their hotdogs and beef sandwiches (Food Network). 

The fans are everywhere!  They buy out nearly all of Milwaukee's ball park when the Cubs are in town.  They show up strong in St. Louis.  There are Cubs fans everywhere!

For perrenial losers, they certainly defy that label attendance and sales wise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just like the Braves, having a nationally broadcast station showing your games really helps the Cubs in the fan department. Wrigley is another HUGE draw though.

UND fans desperate for information have a few things to follow in the next few weeks:

July 30 -- NHL draft

July 30 - August 5 -- Canada's National Under-18 Summer Development Camp (Kitchener, ON), which will be attended by Jon Toews.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NHL draft - Check. Generated plenty of excitement and discussion.

Canada's U18 Camp - Check. Canada announced its Under 18 team this morning, and Jon Toews was named to the team, which will play later this month. Here are the roster and link:

# Player S/C Ht. Wt. Birthdate Hometown 2004-05 Team

No. Joueur L/C T. P. Naissance Ville d'origine

NHL draft - Check. Generated plenty of excitement and discussion.

Canada's U18 Camp - Check. Canada announced its Under 18 team this morning, and Jon Toews was named to the team, which will play later this month. Here are the roster and link:

# Player S/C Ht. Wt. Birthdate Hometown 2004-05 Team

No. Joueur L/C T. P. Naissance Ville d'origine

• 3 weeks later...

I believe school has started at UND, which means dryland training and then captains' practices soon.

Last year's "C", Greene, and "A"s, Schneider, Jones and McMahon, have moved on. So, who will run the captains' practices? There aren't many upperclassmen, so I assume the list of candidates includes Prpich, Fabian, Porter, Stafford, Zajac and Smaby. Any ideas?

Last year's "C", Greene, and "A"s, Schneider, Jones and McMahon, have moved on.  So, who will run the captains' practices?  There aren't many upperclassmen, so I assume the list of candidates includes Prpich, Fabian, Porter, Stafford, Zajac and Smaby.  Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Prpich and Porter

Fabian should have an A.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The question becomes will he be in the line-up consistently enough to warrant an "A". Based on his performance at the frozen four he certainly will be, however it is a new year and his playing time may be challenged. I would not have a problem with giving him an "A" since based on everything I have heard and read he has a tremendous work ethic. However, I think Smaby will definitely get an A as he needs to be the leader of a green defense and I think Porter is more deserving than Fabian and shows the grit and toughness ncessary to win and be a good leader.

The question becomes will he be in the line-up consistently enough to warrant an "A". Based on his performance at the frozen four he certainly will be, however it is a new year and his playing time may be challenged. I would not have a problem with giving him an "A" since based on everything I have heard and read he has a tremendous work ethic. However, I think Smaby will definitely get an A as he needs to be the leader of a green defense and I think Porter is more deserving than Fabian and shows the grit and toughness ncessary to win and be a good leader.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

North Dakota has a ton of talent, but I don't know about how many grinders. Fabian should be a mainstay to the checking line.

The question becomes will he be in the line-up consistently enough to warrant an "A".  Based on his performance at the frozen four he certainly will be, however it is a new year and his playing time may be challenged. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Erik was hurt much of last year, which was the biggest factor limiting his playing time. However, he made a real statement during the playoffs when the Sioux were up against the best teams in the nation. I think that if he stays healthy, he'll see a lot of playing time because the Sioux will need his experience. He's also a very intelligent, articulate player who would do well as a team leader.

Prpich and Greene playing through significant injuries in the postseason helped to drive the team to its near-greatness, from what I heard. In addition, both Prpich and Fabian are older, which could aid a captaincy. I see those two with good chances of wearing a letter.

Fabian with the C

Smaby, Porter, and possibly Prpich with the A's

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. I would think Stafford would get a serious look at wearing a letter. I agree with Porter as a consideration for an A. He works hard every shift on the ice.

Fabian should have an A.

Where do you get this stuff. :D;):)

Fabian's work ethic and total student-athlete performance makes him a role model if nothing else. I believe it puts him on an inside line to an "A".

My wildcard for an "A":

The two-time WJC participant and silent hockey-assassin Rastislav Spirko. All he does is do his job. And when's the last time he went into the corner and didn't come out with the puck? Plus, he could cuss out referees in his native tongue and they'd never know! ???

My wildcard for an "A":

The two-time WJC participant and silent hockey-assassin Rastislav Spirko. All he does is do his job. And when's the last time he went into the corner and didn't come out with the puck? Plus, he could cuss out referees in his native tongue and they'd never know! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Plus now that Greene is gone, Sparky is the physical force for the Sioux. My sig says so!

My revised guess:

C: Stafford

A: Fabian, Porter, and either Smaby or Spirko

Porter, Smaby, and Spirko could be interchanged. There really is no particular reason why any of these three are more deserving than the others but here's why I put them down:

Porter: Works hard every shift. Leads by example. He may not score a lot of goals, but he's out there to do his job and that's the kind of leadership a team needs on top of scoring.

Smaby: Of all the defensive players on this team, he's the most deserving. Unless we talk about Bina, Smaby has developed the most of the returning D and has been through the most. His experience and talent could be worthy of an A.

Spirko: I think Diggler, et al. stated my reasons behind his addition. I also like the native language stuff. :D