SiouxSports.com Forum

Summer Timeline/Events

jk

UND fans desperate for information have a few things to follow in the next few weeks:

July 30 -- NHL draft

July 30 - August 5 -- Canada's National Under-18 Summer Development Camp (Kitchener, ON), which will be attended by Jon Toews.

August 5-14 -- US National Junior Evaluation Camp (Lake Placid, NY). Competing will be Oshie, Lee, Chorney and Jones.

August 9-14 -- Under-18 Junior World Cup, in Czechoslovakia (I know there isn't such a place, but the tournament is held in two cities, one in the Czech Republic and one in Slovakia). Hopefully Toews will be there, and it's possible there will be future Sioux on the US team, although they haven't committed yet.

?? -- Dryland training starts.

?? -- Practice officially starts.

October 2 -- Exhibition with Manitoba.

UND fans desperate for information have a few things to follow in the next few weeks:

July 30 -- NHL draft

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ducktober-24 of September 2005 FOR ND residents.

Edited by Goon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

September 10, 2005  ESPNInsider moves to Phoenix

September 12, 2005  ESPNInsider bitches about the extreme heat in Phoenix and wishes he could move back to dirty, stinky Chicago

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My condolences, ESPN for living in Chicago.

Pheasant-tober, October 8 :D for ND and MN residents . . .

where in phoenix? it will be a bit better when you get here. it was 115 degree a few times this last week. september going into october then on its perfect..

September 10, 2005 ESPNInsider moves to Phoenix

September 12, 2005 ESPNInsider bitches about the extreme heat in Phoenix and wishes he could move back to dirty, stinky Chicago

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gilbert, AZ.

Yes, Chicago is dirty and nasty, however there are some perks. As I am heading over to sit in the bleachers for a Cubs-Giants game this evening, eagerly awaiting Greg Maddux's 3000th strikeout.

I will hold out on pheasant season until I come back to ND over Christmas. Just South of New Salem is where I hunt and it is what I consider the best pheasant hunting land in the world. (although everyone considers their own to be)

EDIT: I have an extra ticket if someone wants to fly up and go to the game tonight! Face value. Bleacher seats, the best atmosphere in the majors. Maddux goes for 3,000 Ks. The flight would probably only be about 5,000 to charter quickly. Good Luck.

Hell, if someone flies up here I'll toss in an Old Style (in wax cup) for their troubles)

Gilbert, AZ.

Yes, Chicago is dirty and nasty, however there are some perks.  As I am heading over to sit in the bleachers for a Cubs-Giants game this evening, eagerly awaiting Greg Maddux's 3000th strikeout.

I will hold out on pheasant season until I come back to ND over Christmas.  Just South of New Salem is where I hunt and it is what I consider the best pheasant hunting land in the world.  (although everyone considers their own to be)

EDIT:  I have an extra ticket if someone wants to fly up and go to the game tonight!  Face value.  Bleacher seats, the best atmosphere in the majors.  Maddux goes for 3,000 Ks.  The flight would probably only be about 5,000 to charter quickly.  Good Luck.

Hell, if someone flies up here I'll toss in an Old Style (in wax cup) for their troubles)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd love to, but I have no money and I'd never make it in time. Also, I've only seen Maddux live once and we lost to the White Sox. It was a great atmosphere though.

Gilbert, AZ.

Yes, Chicago is dirty and nasty, however there are some perks.  As I am heading over to sit in the bleachers for a Cubs-Giants game this evening, eagerly awaiting Greg Maddux's 3000th strikeout.

I will hold out on pheasant season until I come back to ND over Christmas.  Just South of New Salem is where I hunt and it is what I consider the best pheasant hunting land in the world.  (although everyone considers their own to be)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wrigley and possibly Soldier's Field are the two redeeming Chi Town qualities. Went to Wrigley a few years ago vs the Twins and Denny Hocking hit a lead off HR. My buddy out reached me for it in the bleachers . . . and threw it back. We made Sportscenter that night.

Parshall (SW of Minot) for pheasants for our family.

My grandparents are in Mesa. Went to a great steakhouse in Gilbert a couple of years ago . . . but that's another story :ohmy:

Went to the Cubbies game last night. It started at about 9:30 because of rain. I sold a $46 bleacher tic for $5 because nobody was there. Jumped off the train and ran because I was an inning late and Maddux already had one strikeout. Got in in time to see #3,000. Pretty cool, the whole place lit up with camera flashes. Reminded me of the night I saw McGwire break the home run record. Technically it was when he hit #65 in Milwaukee, but that did break the previous record of 64 set by himself two days earlier.

Stayed till the end of the game (1:15 am) and didn't get home until 1:45 am. Pretty fun still as there were quite a few people still there with me at the 1:30 mark. Too bad they had to lose in the 11th.

Reminded me of the night I saw McGwire break the home run record. Technically it was when he hit #65 in Milwaukee, but that did break the previous record of 64 set by himself two days earlier.

I lost so much respect for McGwire when he looked like such a jacka#$ earlier this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the Engelstad Arena schedule the olympic arena is available to the mens team every day for at least a couple of hours. The main arena won't have ice in until around September 7 and the mens team starts using it on the 10th. Practice usually starts about a week before the first series of the season. My guess would be first offical practice on Oct 3. Captians practices for a few weeks before that.

ESPNInsider:

I can't believe your hating on Chicago. Granted it is a dirty city, but the downtown area itself is one of the greatest big cities in the country. The culture(art and industrial museum), architecture, lake front, outstanding restaurants (Giordino deep dish get two thumbs up), great clubs (blue chicago, second city),and the full complement of professional sports(SOX > Cubbies) :ohmy:

Just my .02 cents, best of luck with the move.

ESPNInsider:

I can't believe your hating on Chicago. Granted it is a dirty city, but the downtown area itself is one of the greatest big cities in the country.  The culture(art and industrial museum), architecture, lake front, outstanding restaurants (Giordino deep dish get two thumbs up), great clubs (blue chicago, second city),and the full complement of professional sports(SOX > Cubbies)  :ohmy:

Just my .02 cents, best of luck with the move.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the downtown is great if you're a tourist. I work in the loop, but that is as close as I get to downtown. The only time I head downtown is when I have visitors in town, otherwise I stay as far away as possible. There are some great bars and restaurants to hit in the neighborhoods though, that's for sure. Not many people who live here head down to the Mag Mile area and downtown (just South of the Mag Mile, Millenium Park, Grant Park) there are just WAY to many tourists.

As for the sports. I go to Cubs games every so often, but no way am I giving any money to a team that has Ken "the Hawk" Harrelson as their announcer. He is such an idiot it makes me want to puke. The only time I'll head down to Comisk-ullar and hang with the low-life scum of the Earth is when the Twinkies are in town.

And the Bears and Bulls GROSS. Then again I'm a Spurs fan so every team in the NBA is pretty gross to me. Hopefully the Suns can make it back to the Western Conference Finals next year, so I can watch my Spurs take them out in person in Phoenix.

Anyway, Chicago is probably my favorite city to visit, but not to live in.

Yeah the downtown is great if you're a tourist.  I work in the loop, but that is as close as I get to downtown.  The only time I head downtown is when I have visitors in town, otherwise I stay as far away as possible.  There are some great bars and restaurants to hit in the neighborhoods though, that's for sure.  Not many people who live here head down to the Mag Mile area and downtown (just South of the Mag Mile, Millenium Park, Grant Park) there are just WAY to many tourists. 

As for the sports.  I go to Cubs games every so often, but no way am I giving any money to a team that has Ken "the Hawk" Harrelson as their announcer.  He is such an idiot it makes me want to puke.  The only time I'll head down to Comisk-ullar and hang with the low-life scum of the Earth is when the Twinkies are in town.

And the Bears and Bulls GROSS.  Then again I'm a Spurs fan so every team in the NBA is pretty gross to me.  Hopefully the Suns can make it back to the Western Conference Finals next year, so I can watch my Spurs take them out in person in Phoenix.

Anyway, Chicago is probably my favorite city to visit, but not to live in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ESPN,

I'm a born & raised south side Chicago boy, yes Sox fan. As long as I can remember the loop is downtown. If it's not, let me know where it is.

Chicago is a great city & Mayor Daley does a great job of keeping it clean. It's tough with a few million people living here & quite a few tourists. Maybe it's the wrong side of the city your visiting with that old decrepit ballpark called "Wrigley".

It was a dump the only time I was forced to go there a long time ago & still is. Mainly a tourist trap, but I guess you know that.

Old Comiskey was a classic dump, great for games, but a dump just the same.

They should have built the new one somewhere else, but that is another story.

The "Hawk" may be getting a little old & with a few tired expressions, but he speaks his mind & tells it like it is. The announcers for the Cubs got bounced last year for not towing the "Tribune" line. Who do they have now?? I couldn't answer that, but I don't follow a decades long losers.

Sure Chicago has it's bad areas, but it's changing & people are putting a lot of money into run down areas to build them back up. Short lived tourist like you may not notice that.

Gilbert,Az. I bet there's more to do in Grand Forks than there.

I hope you enjoy it there more than your brief stint in the Great City of Chicago.

ESPN,

I'm a born & raised south side Chicago boy, yes Sox fan. As long as I can remember the loop is downtown. If it's not, let me know where it is.

Chicago is a great city & Mayor Daley does a great job of keeping it clean. It's tough with a few million people living here & quite a few tourists. Maybe it's the wrong side of the city your visiting with that old decrepit ballpark called "Wrigley".

It was a dump the only time I was forced to go there a long time ago & still is. Mainly a tourist trap, but I guess you know that.

Old Comiskey was a classic dump, great for games, but a dump just the same.

They should have built the new one somewhere else, but that is another story.

The "Hawk" may be getting a little old & with a few tired expressions, but he speaks his mind & tells it like it is. The announcers for the Cubs got bounced last year for not towing the "Tribune" line.  Who do they have now?? I couldn't answer that, but I don't follow a decades long losers.

Sure Chicago has it's bad areas, but it's changing & people are putting a lot of money into run down areas to build them back up. Short lived tourist like you may not notice that.

Gilbert,Az.  I bet there's more to do in Grand Forks than there.

I hope you enjoy it there more than your brief stint in the Great City of Chicago.

A few things. Chicago is filthy. Mayor Daily is about as clean as the Chicago River. Wrigley is probably the greatest ballpark in the country (Yankee and Fenway up there too). You're right, they should have built the new Comiscullar somewhere else, like maybe, NOT IN THE WORST PLACE IN THE COUNTRY! The Cubs announcers are horrible, you are right on that one, but at least they don't have a website out to get them fired. And you say that the Cubs announcers got bounced for not towing the "Tribune" line. The Hawk is the biggest homer since the officials in the Soviet-U.S. basketball game. Gilbert, Az compared to GF?? Gilbert is the fastest growing city in the U.S., must be something there to do.

In conclusion, you can have your filthy river, overpriced apartments, corrupt city government and the highest sales tax in the country. Like Denny Green, if you go looking for ESPNInsider you'll find him on the high road. The high road in sunny, beautiful, clean, decent smelling, and exciting city of Gilbert, Arizona!

Gilbert, Az compared to GF??  Gilbert is the fastest growing city in the U.S., must be something there to do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually there is nothing to do in Gilbert. Thank goodness that it's attatched to Tempe which has some of the best bars, cheap drinking, and hottest girls you'll ever see.

I find the losers quip laughable.

It's interesting that, despite their lack of success, the Cubs have the second largest fan base in major league baseball (the Yanqueens have the largest). Fascinating, no? Cubs merchandise is the third highest selling in professional sports behind Yanqueen and LaQu..(you get the picture) gear.

They sell out more often than the White Sox, they routinely sell out all of their season tickets, Wrigley Field is consistently one of the highest ranked ballparks for visitors to visit in the world, Food Network and the Travel channel list Wrigley as being superior in their markets for nostalgia and must sees (travel network) and their hotdogs and beef sandwiches (Food Network).

The fans are everywhere! They buy out nearly all of Milwaukee's ball park when the Cubs are in town. They show up strong in St. Louis. There are Cubs fans everywhere!

For perrenial losers, they certainly defy that label attendance and sales wise.