NHL Entry Draft

Let'sGoHawks!

Should be drafted:

Lee, Chorney, Jones, Oshie, Vandevelde

Might be drafted:

Watkins, Kozek **

Probably won't be drafted (some are too old):

Toews (too young), Walski, Alexander, Miller, Duncan, Martens

** With the draft chopped to seven rounds from nine, some smaller guys from the lower (non-Major Junior) leagues in Canada might get squeezed out.

Should be drafted:

Lee, Chorney, Jones, Oshie, Vandevelde

Might be drafted:

Watkins, Kozek **

Probably won't be drafted (some are too old):

Toews (too young), Walski, Alexander, Miller, Duncan, Martens

** With the draft chopped to seven rounds from nine, some smaller guys from the lower (non-Major Junior) leagues in Canada might get squeezed out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this list. Despite Watkins and Kozek having talent, I believe your reasoning (7 rounds and not 9) will mean that I'd expect those two to go undrafted. There is, albeit a small chance, that some in the Should Be drafted won't be. Those at risk: Oshie, Jones, and Chorney. Why? Size and probably junior leagues might hurt them. It seems silly to say such things, but Radke was supposed to be drafted in the 5th round last draft and went undrafted. It wouldn't surprise me at all that this year's draft will favor the big guys and squeeze out all of the smaller guys, even if you don't consider 5'10 or 5'11 to be small.

On a seperate note: Why the shortening of the draft? the 8th and 9th rounds have never hurt any team. Most of them go unsigned anyways. What's the harm in holding those rounds? Or perhaps doing in the past and having a 4 or 5 round supplemental draft? Just rambling.

Apparently the NHL wants to hold the draft on July 30th.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We could potentially lose more players. I just read on Espn.com at http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2109696 that says

If a team fails to come to contract terms with any of its 2003 draft picks during the five-day window, those draftees will become eligible for selection in the 2005 entry draft scheduled for July 30 in Ottawa.

Included in those drafted that are/were Sioux players are:

Zach Parise - signed (devils)

Matt Smaby - unsigned (lightning)

Brady Murray - signed overseas (kings)

Rylan Kaip - unsigned (atlanta)

Chris Porter - unsigned (chicago)

There are a lot of good college players that were drafted in 03...included in those are:

Mark Stuart

Jeff Tambellini

Patrick Eaves

Matt Carle

David Backes

Jimmy Howard

Danny Irmen

Ryan Potulny

Mike Vanelli

Brett Sterling

Gino Guyer

Matt Zaba

I'm not sure about what happens to 2004 draft picks. Apparently that website says that Thursday July 28th is the "Deadline to make required bona fide offers to 2004 draft picks." I don't know what happens to those players who weren't given offers.

We could potentially lose more players. I just read on Espn.com at http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2109696 that says

Included in those drafted that are/were Sioux players are:

Zach Parise - signed (devils)

Matt Smaby - unsigned (lightning)

Brady Murray - signed overseas (kings)

Rylan Kaip - unsigned (atlanta)

Chris Porter - unsigned (chicago)

There are a lot of good college players that were drafted in 03...included in those are:

Mark Stuart

Jeff Tambellini

Patrick Eaves

Matt Carle

David Backes

Jimmy Howard

Danny Irmen

Ryan Potulny

Mike Vanelli

Brett Sterling

Gino Guyer

Matt Zaba

I'm not sure about what happens to 2004 draft picks. Apparently that website says that Thursday July 28th is the "Deadline to make required bona fide offers to 2004 draft picks." I don't know what happens to those players who weren't given offers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there are no last minute provisions that allow teams to maintain rights to college players, I would guess several players on your list would get attractive offers to sign.

It really would still likely be a balancing act. If a guy like Carle didn't get rookie max, he'd probably love to get drafted again and move up into the 1st round.

Has anyone seen definatively whether or not they will continue to let players opt in for the draft?

If there are no last minute provisions that allow teams to maintain rights to college players, I would guess several players on your list would get attractive offers to sign. 

It really would still likely be a balancing act.  If a guy like Carle didn't get rookie max, he'd probably love to get drafted again and move up into the 1st round.

Has anyone seen definatively whether or not they will continue to let players opt in for the draft?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless the NHL plans to change the draft eligibility rules, once drafted, college players are exempt from the two year signing rule until they complete their education or indicate they are leaving college hockey, at which point the two year clock kicks in.

I didnt know that Matt Niskanen was so highly regarded. Is he goin to UMD?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes he was. However, no offense UMD fans, unless Gretzky selects him in the top 10, I don't expect him to be selected there. He'll be a first rounder, sure, but he's not the next Blake Wheeler.

I would have took Zajac at #5 over Wheeler anyday.  Maybe thats why the Devils have won the cup 3 times in the last 10 years and Phoenix is Phoenix.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd wait until after Wheeler at least plays a year of college before comparing the two, although it's pretty safe to say Wheeler will not put up as many points his freshman year as Zajac did his. Minnesota will have more forward depth this year than North Dakota had last year, so Wheeler will likely not see much time on the power play like Zajac did last season. Taking nothing away from Zajac mind you, since he's a fantastic player, but just stating a fact.

Also, as far as NHL (i.e. not college) prospects go, Wheeler is taller and bigger than Zajac despite being a year younger. Again, this isn't meant to take anything away from Zajac, but Wheeler's size is a big reason that he was taken so high (too high some would say).

I am very much a detractor of Wheeler  (Anyone who has read my posts on USCHO when Wheeler gets brought up can attest to that).  Cardinal is right on.

Wheeler got drafted fifth overall for three reasons:

1.  Size.

2.  Attitude (gretzky liked what he said in predraft interviews)

3.  A hunch.

When you add those up you get exactly where he was projected to be drafted:  Somewhere between 20-30th overall in the first round. 

Wheeler has Alexandre Daigle written all over him in terms of talent for draft position comparison.  I've been a fan of Gretzky as a player, but as a GM, I'm interested to see if he will be right or if I will be right (Gretzky-Wheeler's a stud.  Solid NHL player.  Me- Dud.  Spotty NHLer who will, at best, play the first half of his career as a 4th liner at best in the NHL.  He will be a traveller, not just between the AHL and the NHL, but between NHL teams as Phoenix will eventually give up on him and he will go absolutely everywhere before, like the case with Alex Henry, he ends up a Minnesota Wild showing that they are the trash collectors of the NHL)

This is not to say that Wheeler won't be a good DI player.  I think his junior and senior years will turn out great for him.  Yes, he will be the first first rounder for as long as I can remember to stay in DI for four years.

Don't compare Zajac to WHeeler as far as freshman seasons.  If you do, and you are a Gopher fan, you'll get bummed out and defensive.  Because Zajac is far better the offensive prospect than Wheeler.  And, from what I've seen, Zajac can singlehandedly control the penalty kill.  How's Wheeler on special teams?  New Jersey knows how to evaluate talent.  Phoenix knows how to follow their hunches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D

Well it seems the draft lottery is today, but not covered.

I do see on ESPNEWS that the lottery will be on at 3 ET. However, it seems that is when Bettman will have a conference followed by the lottery at 4 ET. So my gues is we won't get much TV coverage on ESPNEWS.

I think this next couple weeks will be one of the craziest periods that any sport has ever seen. It's going to be fun to watch and keep track of.

No they don't. Ottawa, Mont, and Vancouver are still in

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

didn't see the list; someone on the stream said it. still haven't heard any of the teams you mentioned and only the top 10 picks are left.

And the winner of the Crosby lottery is:

Ducks or Penguins

Wild get number 4.