SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU Sioux - Name Game Gets Testy

star2city

The home of the hanging chad gets a few more things wrong in this article. If the writer only knew how his own errors and ignorance create even more "testiness":

The name game can get testy

By Ted Hutton

Staff Writer

Posted July 5 2005

Just how deep emotional attachments to nicknames run is often not evident until a change is proposed. That is when things can get crazy.

When multimillionaire Ralph Engelstad got news in late 2000 that his alma mater, North Dakota State, was thinking of dropping Fighting Sioux as its nickname, he put an end to any consideration of that in a quick and decisive way.

Not wanting to leave the decision in the hands of the president, the state's Board of Higher Education held an emergency vote the next day, unanimously stating that North Dakota State would remain the Fighting Sioux.

Go to yahoo and type in "Fighting Sioux." One of the top links that pops up is "fightingsioux.com" along with the headline "UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA ATHLETICS." :) What a moron.

Speaking of morons, there's also this place called Siouxsports.com....... ;)

Don't be such a schmuck, petey23. Haven't you heard the nickname controversy going on at Marquette? They are actually going to have a vote to determine whether the nickname should stay the Buckeyes or if it should be changed to the Badgers.

Why doesn't this idiot worry about what is going on in his home state?  Everyone knows that the University of Florida is also under immense pressure to change their name from the seminoles. :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, no, no. You got it wrong again. It's the University of Miami Seminoles. :lol:;)

Kinda disappointing when other papers run the same story:

www.charlotte.com

San Jose Mercury-News

But at least the New Orleans paper gets the name right and some information correct in a totally seperate story:

Times-Picayune: Nickname controversy follows teams

Schools that have received permission from tribes to use their names reason that it's all right because they have the blessing of the group.

That was the case for the University of North Dakota.

By 1970, the school's teams had been known as the Fighting Sioux for 40 years. In a ceremony that year, a Sioux tribal chief declared that the school would be known as the Fighting Sioux "as long as the sun shall rise and the rivers shall flow."

Then university president George Starcher, whose school is located on the ancestral home of the Sioux, was made a chief and received one of the tribe's highest honors, having an eagle-feather headdress placed on his head.

Dismissing the ceremony of 1970, Leigh Jeanotte, a member of the Chippewa tribe, activist and director of American Indian student services at the University of North Dakota, said he was angered even at the compliment that Fighting Sioux is original and obviously meant to bring reflected glory to North Dakota teams.

Kinda disappointing when other papers run the same story:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's even more disappointing after I e-mailed the Sun-Sentinal and pointed out their error. I received a reply from an editor saying that they would correct the story. It's never been corrected. :huh:

It's even more disappointing after I e-mailed the Sun-Sentinal and pointed out their error. I received a reply from an editor saying that they would correct the story. It's never been corrected. :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well... It is Florida. My grandparents (well my lone living grandparent now) lives (lived) in Florida.

That state seriously has their heads so far up their butt they probably think North Dakota is off somewhere neighboring Alaska or perhaps just off the coast of Russia.

Well... Excluding Tommiejo and co. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I e-mailed them as well, but never got a reply.

Well... It is Florida.  My grandparents (well my lone living grandparent now) lives (lived) in Florida. 

That state seriously has their heads so far up their butt they probably think North Dakota is off somewhere neighboring Alaska or perhaps just off the coast of Russia.

Well... Excluding Tommiejo and co.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have, seriously, had people ask me if North Dakota was part of the United States!!!! :huh:

:huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree that there are alot of people down here that have no idea where ND is. They also don't know the accent.

When I first moved here, people would try to guess where I was from. Guesses like Australia, France, Belgium lead me to believe that they have no idea where ND is. After living here for so long, I guess I have lost the ND accent, as I don't get asked anymore.

I have to agree that there are alot of people down here that have no idea where ND is.  They also don't know the accent. 

When I first moved here, people would try to guess where I was from.  Guesses like Australia, France, Belgium lead me to believe that they have no idea where ND is.  After living here for so long, I guess I have lost the ND accent, as I don't get asked anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I go back to ND, the ND accents nearly send me into shock (from laughing and despairing that I used to sound like that! ) :lol: But then, in a few days or so, I talk like that, again. :huh:;)

BTW, GeauxSioux, since you are on the internet, I assume you have electricity in Pensacola (unless you hooked into your generator. ;) ) Another twenty or thirty miles west, and Dennis could have given another horrible blow to Pensacola. Last time I drove through, I couldn't believe the number of homes that still have blue tarps for roofs following Ivan.

When I go back to ND, the ND accents nearly send me into shock (from laughing and despairing that I used to sound like that! ) :lol: But then, in a few days or so, I talk like that, again. :huh:;)

BTW, GeauxSioux, since you are on the internet, I assume you have electricity in Pensacola (unless you hooked into your generator. ;) ) Another twenty or thirty miles west, and Dennis could have given another horrible blow to Pensacola. Last time I drove through, I couldn't believe the number of homes that still have blue tarps for roofs following Ivan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We got electricity back on Thursday night. I left my wife in Louisiana after the evacuation and spent a few night here on just generator. Good to have the electricity back and great to have the family back.