SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tryouts

#1Hakfan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the players that make the WJC from the Sioux will miss the home Harvard series (Dec. 29-30) and possibly the road UAA series (Jan. 6-7).

Does anyone know when the U18 tourney is, since Toews is also potentially gone during that time?

I believe the players that make the WJC from the Sioux will miss the home Harvard series (Dec. 29-30) and possibly the road UAA series (Jan. 6-7).

Does anyone know when the U18 tourney is, since Toews is also potentially gone during that time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toews will play in the U18 tournament this summer. Don't be surprised if he gets an invite to the Canadian Junior team as well. The UAA series could be a challenge if the Sioux are minus all five players.

Well, it looks to me that they'll have a much stronger group of players at this years camp. Hopefully they can take home a medal this year. Here's my guess just for fun...

Goalies: (2)

Cory Schneider

Jeff Frazee

Defensemen: (8)

Nate Hagemo

Mike Brennan

Jack Johnson

Brian Lee

Zach Jones

AJ Thelan

Matt Lashoff

Mark Mitera

Forwards: (13)

Chris Borque

Nate Davis

Tom Fritsche

Nate Gerbe

Phil Kessel

Brian Lerg

TJ Oshie

Adam Pineault

Kevin Porter

Robbie Schremp

Jack Skille

Blake Wheeler

Geoff Paukovich

I chose Punkobiotch over Weller and Kolarik because I think the US is gonig to need some size this year. Let that sonofabitch loose on those damn Russians for all I care.

Well, it looks to me that they'll have a much stronger group of players at this years camp. Hopefully they can take home a medal this year. Here's my guess just for fun...

Goalies: (2)

Cory Schneider

Jeff Frazee

Defensemen: (8)

Nate Hagemo

Mike Brennan

Jack Johnson

Brian Lee

Zach Jones

AJ Thelan

Matt Lashoff

Mark Mitera

Forwards: (13)

Chris Borque

Nate Davis

Tom Fritsche

Nate Gerbe

Phil Kessel

Brian Lerg

TJ Oshie

Adam Pineault

Kevin Porter

Robbie Schremp

Jack Skille

Blake Wheeler

Geoff Paukovich

I chose Punkobiotch over Weller and Kolarik because I think the US is gonig to need some size this year. Let that sonofabitch loose on those damn Russians for all I care.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Size would have to be important if you were to let Wheeler on the team as well. Then again, everyone only half checks in the WJCs... Wheeler might do fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the conclusion of the Selection Camp in Kitchener, twenty-two of the 40 players will be selected to Canada

Then again, everyone only half checks in the WJCs... Wheeler might do fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure Alexander Ovechkin would be happy to hear that. :silly:

I'm waiting for "Canuck" to show up and let you know what he thinks about "half checking" Team Canada. :blush:

I'm waiting for "Canuck" to show up and let you know what he thinks about "half checking" Team Canada. :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe Czcheslovakia were all checks, as were the Slovaks. Could have been half-checks though. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No need to wait for Canuck's response. Since Sutter will be the coach again this year half-checks will not be tolerated by Team Canada. :)

Peter Mueller will likely be on the team.  Not to flame, but he's ahead of Oshie, as an example, in terms of skill and experience in International competition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We'll accept experience in international competition, but a skill comparison in international competition is yet to be determined.

Oshie is a nice player but he's not Mueller. Mueller was second on the U-18 this year in scoring playing as a 16-year-old (Kessel was first). Oshie led the MSHSL in scoring, which is a good accomplishment, but he put up those numbers against Class A competition, as opposed to Mueller who did it against kids older than him on a MUCH higher level.

Of course Mueller got invited. He's playing for the glamorous NTDP. Oshie should be happy to even be thought about coming from lil' ol' Warroad HS.* :blush:

But as sprig says, what comes next is up in the air for both. As of now they're each gunning for one of 22 jerseys.

* Sioux and Warroad fans please don't flame me. I'm being cynical toward Cardinal, a known Gopher collaborator. :silly:

I'm actually pretty reasonable about things. For example, read my take on the front page of GPL from the Frozen Four when UND beat the Gophers.

But, saying Oshie is a better prospect (which in all reality is what this is about) than Mueller would be like a Gopher fan saying that Bostrom is a better prospect than, say, Toews. Mueller is projected to be a top five pick in his draft class.

I'm actually pretty reasonable about things.  For example, read my take on the front page of GPL from the Frozen Four when UND beat the Gophers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

btw, kudos on that. It is a good article, but then again, how difficult is it to write a story about a game as one-sided as that one was? Reporting the facts doesn't, alone, make you reasonable.

As for PM, when he steps foot on UMN's ice wearing the M&G, then UMN fans can claim him as their own, until then there really is no point to your comparison - not to flame, of course! :silly:

... is a better prospect (which in all reality is what this is about) than ...

No, what this is really all about (remember, we're in the WJC thread) is finding the best 22 to wear Red, White, and Blue in December and January in Vancouver.

You don't put out prospects to win gold medals; you put out the best 22 at the time, wherever you find them.

So until a recruit is at the school, you can't "claim" him? Hmm...

As far as the article goes, the game was one-sided, but my point was that I didn't "homer-ize" it at all and that I can look at things from a nuetral perspective and not blame the refs or something like that.

Like I've said, Oshie is a nice player and I'd love to have seen him go to the Gophers, but Mueller will make the WJ team and be one of their top forwards, just like Kessel did this last year as a younger player.

If you started a poll on USCHO on who has a better chance or making the team (or, assuming they both make it, who would be more productive), it would by 72/25 in favor of Mueller for either poll.

Cardinal's pretty reasonable. I understand his point about Oshie and Mueller. Mueller has been hyped for years now, and I think is considered to be very close to Toews as a prospect - Top 10 NHL draft pick type of prospect. Nobody knows what kind of player any of those three will become, as there's plenty of developing yet to do for all of them.

Setting aside comparisons with other players, Oshie's invitation does seem to validate his spot on the Sioux roster in 2005, rather than waiting for 2006. Hakstol said Oshie's arrival was not tied to Murray's departure, and this would seem to fit in that scenario.

Oshie's invitation does seem to validate his spot on the Sioux roster in 2005, rather than waiting for 2006.  Hakstol said Oshie's arrival was not tied to Murray's departure, and this would seem to fit in that scenario.

Agreed.

Man do I love irony, Cardinal in all of his wisdom proclaims Mueller ahead of Oshie for a spot on the WJC team, that's a valid point, perhaps. The thing I find funny is the Everet Silvertips now want Mueller after TJ comitted to UND, after all it is his hometown team, I'm sure the hockey powers that be in the state of washington had been chomping at the bit waiting to see how things would play out for him.

Cardinal's pretty reasonable.  I understand his point about Oshie and Mueller.  Mueller has been hyped for years now, and I think is considered to be very close to Toews as a prospect -  Top 10 NHL draft pick type of prospect.  Nobody knows what kind of player any of those three will become, as there's plenty of developing yet to do for all of them.

Setting aside comparisons with other players, Oshie's invitation does seem to validate his spot on the Sioux roster in 2005, rather than waiting for 2006.  Hakstol said Oshie's arrival was not tied to Murray's departure, and this would seem to fit in that scenario.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point was not that Mueller isn't more experienced in international play, but, until Oshie has been in international play, comparing skills when playing there is not possible. I haven't seen either, so I'll make no argument as to who is better. The team will be picked based at least in part on how the players perform at evaluation camp.

I would guess given Oshie's lack of previous international experience, he'll have to impress the coaches more than others having international experience, in order to make the team.

Just for the record, validation of TJ's spot on the Sioux roster was never an issue for me. As for the WJC team, lace em' up boys and let it all shake itself out, that's why they hold the evaluation camp. What kind of team would the U.S. have if they let all of us idiots pick our own emotional favorites.