SiouxSports.com Forum

Craig Dahl Retirement?

Siouxman

Mafia, actually all the fans I know were pretty proud of a team that was picked to finish around .500 and go NO where post season.  Considering we had no thoughts of actually making the FF, this fan was VERY happy w/ tDon's job.

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WPos, I would liken your conclusion to spending your life in a gay bar and concluding that the whole world is gay, a fair analogy for Gopher fans if there ever was one :sad: Nothwithstanding, what has been posted on the internet by your so called fans, with the exception of the hugs and kisses following the Kessel signing, would support MafiaMan's hypothesis that there has not been alot of love in Gopher land.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but I, before the season started had no thoughts of making a FF run. That we did was just a good feeling for me, but I in no way was ripping the coach/team over their performance. And I'd be hard pressed to find a friend of mine that would either. Methinks you were running into the non die-hards/more corpie type fan that likes to bandwagon...

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WPoS,

I've met you in person and everyone loves beer darts, so I tend to think of you as being an intelligent Gopher fan, a rarity in itself. However, you're not making a convincing argument here. Before the season started, you KNEW you had the regional at Mariucci. Again, all you needed to be was in the top 16 in the country and you were assured two games at home. I don't care if you were playing BC, Michigan, North Dakota, Denver, Maine, or the Soviet Union 1980 Olympic team...if that regional is at Mariucci, I'd ASSUME you'd make a run. Now I also believe that had Minnesota play Maine or Cornell anyplace else, you'd have enjoyed the Frozen Four on TV and not had to waste your time making travel plans to Columbus.

You saying that would be like most Sioux fans not expecting to make "a run" next season. Losing players or not, the regional is in REA and the Sioux SHOULD make a run. Like I said, we'll see.

That being said, I do agree with you about running into the typical bandwagon Gopher homer. You should have seen the look on the fan's face (the guy who told me to enjoy the win because the Sioux season was over) when I told him to give me a business card and I would mail him a check for $100 if the Sioux were not picked for the NCAA tournament on Sunday morning. What a moron.

I just re-read something...where on earth did you read about a .500 season record and most fans not expecting the Gophers to even qualify for the NCAA tournament? How hard is it to finish in the top 16 when you're the "Pride on Ice"? You've gotta be kidding me. You went into the season not expecting to even make the tournament? Put down the crack pipe, WPoS!

Actually, about one year ago, at this time, I had no idea/thoughts that the Gophs would do as good as they did. I fully expected (in my heart) a .500 season and a realistic placement of about 5th or 6th place. The Gophs just lost too many good guys. I had no idea the Gophs would actually pull off such a good half of the season. I expected a performance more like the last half. I actually DID NOT expect them to make regionals at the beginning of the season. And AT regionals I only expected a one and done. Now that all being said, I DON'T read USCHO, so the only place I deal with fellow Gopher fans is POI/GPL and the occasional one here or on tPB site. So maybe my friends are not as "bandwagonny" as others, but none of my friends were calling fro tDon's head, Harrington's on the othe hand is a different story. That and if I showed any weakness here, you guy's would be trying to convert me to the dark side! :sad:

WPoS

Mafia, actually all the fans I know were pretty proud of a team that was picked to finish around .500 and go NO where post season.  Considering we had no thoughts of actually making the FF, this fan was VERY happy w/ tDon's job.

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:sad:

Like UND the Gophers should have no down years. I expected the Gophers to finish top three and make the Frozen Four!

Gopher expectations aside, why do you even go to GPL anyways?

I have only been there once. I'm surprised they have time to fit in anything about Gopher hockey between all the UW and UND bashing that went on in the threads I looked at.

GPL is worse than USCHO. At USCHO there seemed to be some attempts to keep threads on topic and not just about bashing one's rivals.

Gopher expectations aside, why do you even go to GPL anyways?

I have only been there once.  I'm surprised they have time to fit in anything about Gopher hockey between all the UW and UND bashing that went on in the threads I looked at.

GPL is worse than USCHO.  At USCHO there seemed to be some attempts to keep threads on topic and not just about bashing one's rivals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, GPL...Fizzle my shazizzle....

Mafia Man,

If your saying that the sports writers were looking to lynch the Don I would agree with you. The sports writers in this town have it in for the Gophers and don't cut them any slack. If your talking about the Gopher fans than I would say your wrong. I picked them to be top 5 in the WCHA and to make the FF only because they had the regional at home. With the youg D we had and loosing 3 underclassmen to the NHL (Well the other league anyway) you have to say it was a good season. Not great, because we didn't win it all.

Mafia Man,

If your saying that the sports writers were looking to lynch the Don I would agree with you.  The sports writers in this town have it in for the Gophers and don't cut them any slack.  If your talking about the Gopher fans than I would say your wrong.  I picked them to be top 5 in the WCHA and to make the FF only because they had the regional at home.  With the youg D we had and loosing 3 underclassmen to the NHL (Well the other league anyway) you have to say it was a good season.  Not great, because we didn't win it all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't that my point, DLW4GOPHERS? I agree that anything less than a title is a failed season in the eyes of the local sportswriters, but I also have run into many fans with that same attitude. Just check the attendance of the 3rd/4th place game at the Final Five. Plenty of bandwagoners found something else to do besides watch that "meaningless" game. Young D and losing 3 underclassmen aside, that home regional should have meant a good chance of getting to the Frozen Four. I just don't buy talk of .500 expectations and not making the NCAA's. Even in a BAD year, the Gophers can be expected to be in the top 16 in the country.

I do agree with you 100% on the "good season" reference. Anyone making the Frozen Four should be able to say it was a good season. However, only one of those teams (for obvious reasons) can say it turned out to be a "great" season.

On the basis of last year's showing by Denver, it's become clear that being in the middle of the pack of the WCHA is still top 16 in the country pretty easily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now THAT is truth! I last year of being a .500 team was more of MY opinion and I may have overstated it in previous posts, but I truely did not expect them to do as good as they did. I TRY to be somewhat objective in my irrational following of a college sports team. ;)

As for the local sports writes they all can just go jump in the Miss, don't read ANY of them and don't really care what they say, most of them have never even HELD a hockey stick, much less know the game, players or even the WCHA.

WPoS

Now THAT is truth! I last year of being a .500 team was more of MY opinion and I may have overstated it in previous posts, but I truely did not expect them to do as good as they did. I TRY to be somewhat objective in my irrational following of a college sports team. ;)

As for the local sports writes they all can just go jump in the Miss, don't read ANY of them and don't really care what they say, most of them have never even HELD a hockey stick, much less know the game, players or even the WCHA.

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big hug, WPoS.

Haven't we?

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dagies: You're not the only UND barometer I use. ;):lol:

I agree with Sagard, I have high expectations every year for the Gophers and always expect an NCAA berth - at the very least. However, I also like to think I'm able to judge the team's chances fairly objectively & figured once MN took the Virg Foss/Craig Dahl Memorial First Half Championship the season outlook was grim for the beloved rodents. :lol:

BTW - MM & WPoS hugging? :ohmy: Gross! :D:glare::lol:

Edit: According to the St. Cloud paper Dahl has hired former MN asst Bob Motzko as his replacement....er.....new asst. coach. http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?...+20050531152607

About all this move really tells me is that da Don has confided to his assistants that the NHL is not going to come calling for his services for a long long time and that, therefore, da Donny is going to hang on to his present coaching position for as long as the Gopher higher ups will have him.

Motzko, seeing that da Donny is not going to be elevated to the pinnacle where all great coaches end up -- the NHL -- figured he'd rather be lead fiddle at St. Clown than second fiddle for the next twenty years at The John.

Good luck to Bobby. He could not have made a better career move.

About all this move really tells me is that da Don has confided to his assistants that the NHL is not going to come calling for his services for a long long time and that, therefore, da Donny is going to hang on to his present coaching position for as long as the Gopher higher ups will have him.

Motzko, seeing that da Donny is not going to be elevated to the pinnacle where all great coaches end up -- the NHL -- figured he'd rather be lead fiddle at St. Clown than second fiddle for the next twenty years at  The John.

Good luck to Bobby.  He could not have made a better career move.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Don leading the Gophers for another twenty years, EPIC! I can't believe I agree with an entire post by NDH. Good luck Bob, thanks for the memories. ;)

If Motzko is going to replace Dahl, what's stopping Dahl from just foregoing the wait and retiring now?

My guess:

He wants this last year of "head coach" pay before becoming a school fundraiser (lower pay).

To summarize, it most likely has to do with Benjamins, denero, cash-ola, bling-bling, and such.