SiouxSports.com Forum

BRAC recommendations

Hansel

GeauxSioux:  Looks like Pensacola also is taking a hit from the Navy realignment.  With the shortage of housing there in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan, perhaps the surge in housing costs would get dampened down now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pensacola is taking a hit at NAS, but Whiting, Saufley and Corry were untouched and it appears as though Eglin will keep growing. The hit Pensacola took in a previous realignment, when NADEP was shut down, was far worse. The number of people moving in to re-build Pensacola is causing part of housing shortage. Housing has gone up about 25% since Ivan.

Have you seen the devastation at P'cola Beach or NAS? It's going to take years to rebuild. I can't see the loss of the jobs at NAS impacting the overall housing shortages to any great degree.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone focuses on the negative of the Tanker wing leaving - they're not gone yet! Our congressional delegation will fight to keep the tankers here until the end and even IF they leave....the UP side is THE BASE will remain open...and it makes no sense to remove 90% of the current mission and keep it open UNLESS they have plans for the future. It can take up to 6 years to realign a base (ie - move the current mission out) In that interim - there are plenty of missions that can be reassigned to GF from all the bases that will be closed. Those missions (by and large) won't just be "cut" out of the US Military - they'll relocate to another OPEN base. I think everyone is missing the big picture (including most of the local media - PCM excluded!) The fact the GFAFB is just being "realigned" isn't necessarily a bad thing in the long term - yeah - we might take a short term hit but ultimately we'll benefit our of the whole thing...

Did anyone catch the part of the BRAC hearings Monday during which a BRAC commissioner talked about GFAB and why it isn't simply being closed? He said he was "surprised" GF was on the realignment list and not the closing list. Regardless of what Dorgan and Pommeroy can do, it looks like Grand Forks has an uphill climb ahead.

Scary.

I know this sounds cynical, but it also makes alot of sense if you think about it. Do you actually think that George Bush will let Ellsworth AFB close down? Think about all the effort the Bush Administration put into getting John Thune in and Tom Daschle out. Would Bush slit Thune's political throat by allowing the Ellsworth base to close right away? I personally think that this is a ploy to make Thune look like a hero. Do not be surprised if Ellsworth is removed from the list after a "heroic" effort by Thune to save the base. My next worry is that in order to save Ellsworth, another base might be moved onto the closing list to make up for it. I hope that is not Grand Forks AFB.

I know that this is not supposed to be political, but everything is political whether you want it to be or not. I just hope Bush remembers the states that actually voted for him (ie the midwest) when deciding whether to approve the list or not. The list sure seems to disproportionally hurt the more rural area versus the Californias and Texas of the world.

The question must be asked save the base this round, but then how many future rounds will there be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GFH:

Rumsfeld also said that if world conditions dictate, another BRAC round might be needed in five or 10 years, according to Schlossberg.

Will they ever add bases? Maybe another WW?

I know this sounds cynical, but it also makes alot of sense if you think about it.  Do you actually think that George Bush will let Ellsworth AFB close down?  Think about all the effort the Bush Administration put into getting John Thune in and Tom Daschle out.  Would Bush slit Thune's political throat by allowing the Ellsworth base to close right away?  I personally think that this is a ploy to make Thune look like a hero.  Do not be surprised if Ellsworth is removed from the list after a "heroic" effort by Thune to save the base.  My next worry is that in order to save Ellsworth, another base might be moved onto the closing list to make up for it.  I hope that is not Grand Forks AFB.

I know that this is not supposed to be political, but everything is political whether you want it to be or not.  I just hope Bush remembers the states that actually voted for him (ie the midwest) when deciding whether to approve the list or not.  The list sure seems to disproportionally hurt the more rural area versus the Californias and Texas of the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about Bush making Hoeven look like a hero and take GFAFB off the list at the last minute, propelling Hoeven to a win over Conrad? That would be a nice gain for the GOP!

Hoeven meets with Bush in late August early September in a publicized meeting, then soon after GFAFB is off the list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How many publicized meetings have Conrad and Dorgan already had? I just don't see how Hoeven could benefit without Conrad and Dorgan benefiting an equal amount.

Has there been indications that Hoeven wants the job? Or is a guy like Duane Sand or Kevin Cramer going to run and get destroyed again?

How many publicized meetings have Conrad and Dorgan already had? I just don't see how Hoeven could benefit without Conrad and Dorgan benefiting an equal amount.

Has there been indications that Hoeven wants the job? Or is a guy like Duane Sand or Kevin Cramer going to run and get destroyed again?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not saying it is going to happen but, it just seems as likely as the SD conspiracy. Personally, I don't think either is very likely, but just brought up the ND one as a response to the SD theory.

Hoeven will run, he wants that seat.

i guess only time will tell...i do believe there are a lot of people who live off the base...i  hope it brings Grand Forks market back down to earth because real estate and rent is outrageous in this town...even ask Fargo people...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What forces prices up? Demand? You're hoping for less demand for housing? How about hoping for more apartments to be build. I see plenty of them going up.

I'll ask Fargo

Grand Forks kept expenses low in the last three quarters by steadily reducing the cost of housing from 94 percent of the national average to 82.5 percent. Fargo housing costs last quarter were 82.2 percent of average.

Aren't you saying the same thing? People moving out of town will open up houses probably driving down prices. The only losers are those that are hoping to sell their house and the price may drop. Everyone else (those who will be staying in town for a long time paying taxes, and those renting houses/apts in town) will get lower costs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, not that I see it. Legend334 is looking at the positive in the base losing many people/jobs, because they'll move and rent in town will go down.

I said prices are high because there is a lot of people that want to rent in GF, which I don't see as a bad thing (a lot of people wanting to rent, not the high rent). I said how about you hope for the supply (the number of housing units) to go up and the demand (the number of people renting/owning) to stay the same, meaning lower prices.

that is what i meant...cratter....thanks for trying to correct me...again...if supply high...then the rent will go down...by the way ask people in fargo what their property taxes were on their home...in fact was just in Fargo saw a 6 bedroom house unreal yard, corner lot...3 car driveway....sound system thu out the house...sun room etc...decked to the max...319,000

a house across from centruy elementary that had 4 beds two baths...they wanted 299,900....you tell me which was the better deal....btw the house in fargo was across from their own home made lake in west fargo....unreal neighborhood...

The "lake" in Charleswood is storm water retention (so it doesn't all hit the Sheyenne at once). Look carefully to the SW of it across the street and see the valve/pump station that controls flow (in the underground pipe) from the pond to the Sheyenne.

Property taxes in WF work out to be about 2.0 to 2.1% (what you actually pay on Feb 15 / street value of your house) is what I've heard from the FM mortgage folks I've talked with. That $319k house will cost you a little over $6k annually in base property taxes. Special assessment on top of base taxes are a whole other matter in Fargo and West Fargo. (In new neighborhoods like Eagle Run and Osgood you're looking at almost $400 per linear foot of street frontage* on top of the base taxes. Did I mention that's on top of the $75k just to buy the lot?) That $319k house in Charleswood could easily be pushing $10k per year in taxes to the county.

I've looked at empty property in GF and just outside city limits in GF County (for a project). It was no better or worse than Bismarck or Fargo. Things are costing more and more everywhere folks. That's life.

* Those specials pay for streets and sewers in the new developments. They're assessed once at "beginning of life" of the lot and the homeowner has 15 years to pay them off. Did I mention that they can add to the specials bill if they repave the street or add street lighting? It adds up fast.

that is what i meant...cratter....thanks for trying to correct me...again...if supply high...then the rent will go down...by the way ask people in fargo what their property  taxes were on their home...in fact was just in Fargo saw a 6 bedroom house unreal yard, corner lot...3 car driveway....sound system thu out the house...sun room  etc...decked to the max...319,000

a house across from centruy elementary that had 4 beds two baths...they wanted 299,900....you tell me which was the better deal....btw the house in fargo was across from their own home made lake in west fargo....unreal neighborhood...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that what you meant when you said this:

there might not be many that own a home but i bet a lot rent apt's which will hopefully drop rent in GF.....

You compare homes you see...I'll compare factual statistics which says housing costs are about equal the last quarter.

The "lake" in Charleswood is storm water retention (so it doesn't all hit the Sheyenne at once). Look carefully to the SW of it across the street and see the valve/pump station that controls flow (in the underground pipe) from the pond to the Sheyenne.

Property taxes in WF work out to be about 2.0 to 2.1% (what you actually pay on Feb 15 / street value of your house) is what I've heard from the FM mortgage folks I've talked with. That $319k house will cost you a little over $6k annually in base property taxes. Special assessment on top of base taxes are a whole other matter in Fargo and West Fargo. (In new neighborhoods like Eagle Run and Osgood you're looking at almost $400 per linear foot of street frontage* on top of the base taxes. Did I mention that's on top of the $75k just to buy the lot?) That $319k house in Charleswood could easily be pushing $10k per year in taxes to the county.

I've looked at empty property in GF and just outside city limits in GF County (for a project). It was no better or worse than Bismarck or Fargo. Things are costing more and more everywhere folks. That's life.

* Those specials pay for streets and sewers in the new developments. They're assessed once at "beginning of life" of the lot and the homeowner has 15 years to pay them off. Did I mention that they can add to the specials bill if they repave the street or add street lighting? It adds up fast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here are some facts on Fargo housing. I'll use my self as an example. New 4 bedroom, 3 bath two story in Martens Way (Fargo) 2200 sq ft finished, basement roughed in for recroom, bedroom and bath. Purchase price, $203,000 which included $22,000 for the lot. Lots are approx 90 x 140 (larger than Osgood and Eagle Run). Specials are approx. $22,000 which are not included in the price of the lot. My 2004 full value was $230,600 with taxes being $6695. 2005 will be $242,000 :D

Sicatoka, 75K for a lot in Eagle Run??? What is it 3 lost put together. Right now the land cost in our development is around $30K. Unless your on a river, golf course or have at leaste a couple acres I don't know where you'll find a 75k lot in Fargo.

In general property taxes in ND are way out of wack. You can probably blame that on our relative small state income tax. The schools and cities just don't get the money from the state anymore. If anyone wants more details on costs in fargo/west fargo let me know, we share office space with a homebuilder/devolper I should be able to get you info. If you want info on fargo's property taxes and assesed values it's all public info http://www.cityoffargo.com/parcels/index.asp just enter an address.

i was in a home that was purchased for 128,000...taxed by the city at 140,000...paid in taxes 3,000 a year...a little less...a home i just looked at...a open house in GF...who they were selling it to move out of GF because the taxes were higher here than when they lived in Fargo or on the lake in Detroit Lakes...so that was my point...thanks again for your factual information...i am sure their information was factual as well!!!!