SiouxSports.com Forum

BRAC recommendations

Hansel

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what to think about this. It is a good thing that right now, it isn't going to be completely shut down, but will take a severe cut in personnel.

I remember when Grand Forks wasn't on the list in 1995 when it came out, people celebrated, then at the last minute, it was added back on. So you really can't relax, no matter where you are, until the President signs off on the whole thing.

The Forum article says the GFAFB will lose 2,290 military personnel, and then later in the story says that the GFAFB is home to 2,700 active duty military personnel. That's pretty much the entire base. It sounds like only a skeleton will remain. If the Forum is accurate, I wouldn't consider this good news. I guess we'll get more details as the day goes on.

Thanks for the links.  Hopefully the "realigned" isn't as bad as it looks in the Forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By the word "bad" I meant the loss of a ton of jobs by the looks of it. Obviously I'm pleased that the base will remain open. Hopefully their will be a new mission to add some jobs back.

The Forum article says the GFAFB will lose 2,290 military personnel, and then later in the story says that the GFAFB is home to 2,700 active duty military personnel.  That's pretty much the entire base.  It sounds like only a skeleton will remain.  If the Forum is accurate, I wouldn't consider this good news.  I guess we'll get more details as the day goes on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are accurate, here is alink to the closure and realignment list.

pdf document

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections...se_CLosings.pdf

Yea, I just found that and was going to link it. It doesn't look good. Maybe there will be some positives in the details, but at this point it looks like nearly a total loss. I wonder why they would want to keep a base open with 400 people?

Wow.  They may just as well closed it, and freed up the facility for other uses, unless that possibility is still available.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking the same thing.

WDAZ had an interesting story last night regarding cities that had their bases closed in the 90s and the impact it had on their communities. They did a nice piece on Rome, New York and it was interesting to listen to their city leaders talk about how people just assume that when the base closes, you are able to easily attract major businesses to use the base. One of the guys said the first thing everyone says is a major international cargo port will go in and he laughed, saying that might look to be a fitting thing, but hard thing to accomplish. Also touched on how the government doesn't turn the land and facilities back over to the cities all the time. They still own them and there are a lot of cases across the country where they shut down facilities and never let anything go into them. If that doesn't sound like a typical federal government operation.

Also touched on how the government doesn't turn the land and facilities back over to the cities all the time.  They still own them and there are a lot of cases across the country where they shut down facilities and never let anything go into them.  If that doesn't sound like a typical federal government operation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean that John Hoff might not be able to open his art community out there? :D:D

When I read Hoff's suffestions, I almost fell off the couch laughing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had the same reaction. Just picturing a bunch of artist-types wandering around an abandoned Air Force base in the middle of nowhere made me laugh. I suppose they could do some nice sidewalk art on the runway. :D

I had the same reaction. Just picturing a bunch of artist-types wandering around an abandoned Air Force base in the middle of nowhere made me laugh. I suppose they could do some nice sidewalk art on the runway. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Talk about an economic boom to the community that would bring.

Herald's article from after the report was released reproduces a lot of the number-crunching/speculation from here.

The Grand Forks base has about 2,700 active duty military personnel, and about 50 KC-135 tanker aircraft, which refuel planes in flight. The Pentagon recommendations say the base should lose 2,290 military personnel, or 85 percent of its contingent, and 355 civilian employees.

the base would continue to be used as a base for unmanned "aero vehicles."

And, as discussed:

Fargo's Air National Guard base is not on the list, but officials said they had been informed the base may lose its F-16 fighter aircraft.

Not in Grand Forks so maybe I'm missing something, but why the celabratory spin? If the BRAC recommendations go as is GF will loose 2200+ personal. How many numbers will the schools loose due to this? Must be at least a 1000. That is a huge drop in state and fed funding for the school district. IMHO this just sucks. I remember driving from Fargo to Rolla to visit my grandparents and waiting until we drove by the base with hopes of seeing a B-52 taking off.

Droans :D

Not in Grand Forks so maybe I'm missing something, but why the celabratory spin?  If the BRAC recommendations go as is GF will loose 2200+ personal.  How many numbers will the schools loose due to this?  Must be at least a 1000.  That is a huge drop in state and fed funding for the school district.  IMHO this just sucks.  I remember driving from Fargo to Rolla to visit my grandparents and waiting until we drove by the base with hopes of seeing a B-52 taking off. 

Droans :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure I have heard a lot of celebratory spin. I will say that the base isn't being closed and that is a good thing.

It will be interesting to see what kinds of new missions the base receives. Earl Pomeroy was just on the radio saying that the Grand Forks base was cited in the Pentagon's report as being an ideal location for the unmaned drones .