SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU Hockey

Bison101

Do you honestly believe that theory? If you do I would be interested in hearing about any data that supports your theory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could see how someone would think that. What I wonder is if NDSU had been successful in getting a hockey team about five years ago, would they have moved the other teams up to DI? I'd have to say no. They might have considered it, but I don't think they would have made the move. I don't think the hockey team would be making much money considering they'd likely be in the CHA, and I don't see fans flocking to see the likes of AL-Huntsville. They'd also have to add a womens team (likely hockey as well) for Title IX reasons, and that team is sure to be a money drain.

I could see how someone would think that. What I wonder is if NDSU had been successful in getting a hockey team about five years ago, would they have moved the other teams up to DI? I'd have to say no. They might have considered it, but I don't think they would have made the move. I don't think the hockey team would be making much money considering they'd likely be in the CHA, and I don't see fans flocking to see the likes of AL-Huntsville. They'd also have to add a womens team (likely hockey as well) for Title IX reasons, and that team is sure to be a money drain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have trouble seeing how someone would think that if they really studied the historical facts and knew the orientation of the administrators in the different eras. Back when they were looking at hockey they had a different President and a different athletic director. The cast of characters has changed dramatically so I see no link between not getting D-1 hockey back when Bob Entzion (AD)/Jim Ozbun (Pres) tried and what is happening in the Gene Taylor (AD)/Joe Chapman (Pres) era.

Folks, re-read what moose97 (a Bemidji radio personality) got right from Taylor at NDSU:

NDSU is caught up in the finantial responsibility of upgrading the entire program right now to all D-I, and hockey will not even enter the discussion until that is taken care of.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?p=1972763#post1972763

When I was growing up in Fargo, and 'SU still had a club team, hockey was really never a big sport. Occasionally, one of the local high schools might make a run, only to lose to Central or RR, but that was about it. UND hockey usually got a good run of local media coverage, but you never really heard much else about the sport.

Frankly, I think the reason 'SU will never have a viable hockey program is that too many of their fans would ride their livestock into "the barn" thinking it's some 4-H function or a county fair. All of that manure would make the ice next to impossible to use. As well, hockey requires an attention span that doesn't end with "Hey ma! Can I borrow some of your chaw?" ;);)

I have trouble seeing how someone would think that if they really studied the historical facts and knew the orientation of the administrators in the different eras.  Back when they were looking at hockey they had a different President and a different athletic director.  The cast of characters has changed dramatically so I see no link between not getting D-1 hockey back when Bob Entzion (AD)/Jim Ozbun (Pres) tried and what is happening in the Gene Taylor (AD)/Joe Chapman (Pres) era.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I realize that the administration has changed since the last DI hockey push. I just don't see how NDSU could have made the move to DI for the rest of their sports if hockey had been added. It's probably a good thing for Taylor/Chapman that the hockey drive failed since they don't have to worry about paying for a men's and (likely) women's hockey teams which you would think would give the maximum number of scholarships allowed. I do sometimes wonder about the timing of the DI move they made. NDSU seemed so anxious to move to DI that they did so with a barely adequate DII basketball facility which there seems to be no real plan on replacing.