SiouxSports.com Forum

Where will the Sioux finish in the WCHA?

Fedorov

Where will the Sioux finish in the WCHA next year?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the Sioux finish in the WCHA next year?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th

This forum is getting pretty slow, so we need something to talk about. We don't know if any players are leaving early, or if a couple of players will be healthy enough to play next year. We also know that where we finish isn't too important if we make the NCAA playoffs. With the information we have with the new players, how well do you think UND will do next year? Click the circle, you know you want to.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I want to be optimistic and pick 1st, and even though I can't think of two teams that would finish ahead of us, I'm going to be realistic and choose 3rd.

After finishing 1st 2 years ago, and 5th this past year, I don't them jumping back up to 1st next year. So, again, realism prevails.

In no particular order, I would think UND, UMN, DU, and CC will be the top four teams.  Does any other team expect to have a good year?  Do the Badgers have good players coming in?  Do they have a good goalie?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Badgers will be solid. I also expect Mankato and AA to challenge for a top 5 finish. Tech, SCCC, Duluth will probably struggle.

The WCHA most likely will be tougher next year than this past year (and we had 4 teams in the Frozen Four). I can see UND, UMN, DU, CC and Wisc. all ending up in the top spot. With the uncertainty at D for UND next year I think the Sioux will end up at the #3 spot, but that is a guess. It will be a tough league and UMD and AA should both also be in the running for a top 5 spot.

I really think it is a toss-up who wins. Of course early departures and injuries are a key but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Wisc., UM, DU, CC or UND finish first. I would be surprised to see one of the five drop out of the top five though. They all return a ton of talent and only have more coming in. My pick is CC though because they really only lose a goaltender and in my opinion Zaba is every bit as good as who they lose.

How's UMD going to be next year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It depends which team shows up. UMD certainly should have had a better year than they did in 2004-2005 with the players they had back. In watching them play this year, it appears that at least some members of the team had a poor attitude. Once that permeates a team, it is difficult to clean up. Sandelin should have some decent talent, but the challenge will be to turn around that attitiude that just killed them this year. If it does turn around, I can see them in that 5/6 spot. If it doesn't, they will fall lower and teams like UAA and/or Michigan Tech could move up. Both showed flashes this past year, and if they can get some consistency should move up. SCSU is in a hole, and I think Mankato will continue to struggle.

My vote was for UND to finish 3rd, contingent upon Greene and Smaby returning.

(Oh please, please, please, please, please!!!) :silly:

With the uncertainty at D for UND next year I think the Sioux will end up at the #3 spot, but that is a guess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The herald reported today that Greene, as of right now, is intending to be back next year.

There's a small possible sigh of relief.

The herald reported today that Greene, as of right now, is intending to be back next year.

There's a small possible sigh of relief.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's good news, but...

Until I see Greene on the ice in a Sioux jersey the first game of the season, I'm not going to assume anything.

I picked third but if both Smaby and Greene are back I would say 1st or 2nd. There is just too much up in the air right now. Who knows if the three Denver stars will be back? They all said they would but who knows. Same with CC. Stuart, Sertich and Sterling. If they leave CC could be in a hole. Which Wisconsin team will we see. They have everything coming back. And then theirs the Goofs. Can their D and goaltending improve enough.

1) GOPHERS (duh!)

(space indicates margin between 1st and 2nd)

2) CC

3) Den

4) UND

5) WI/UMD/AA (toss up)

In all seriousness, tops team should look like this;

1) UofM/CC (too close to call...edge to..."gulp"...CC)

3) Den

4) WI/UND

6) UMD/AA

I don't think Denver is going to be going anywhere. Their #1 goaltender was a freshman and their #2 could be a #1 anytime (seems similar with a green and white team I care about).

Only fools would count CC out. Matt Zaba isn't a poor alternative to any WCHA goaltender. Not sure if CC is going anywhere post season though, they couldn't beat Denver whenever it mattered.

UMN and UND will have similar issues and strengths next year. Both teams will have dominant underclassmen scoring and plenty of roleplaying talent. UND and UMN will have spotty D but for different reasons. UMN's D are too aggressive offensively and don't, as a unit, play back very much. They get beat too easily and with the goaltending situation they are in, that's trouble. UND's D will be spotty because they will be new to the division and inexperienced.

UND returns some question makrs (Kaip and Murray) healthwise and will more than likely be without Bina. However, if Greene and Smaby stay, I think we'll do fine.

I have it being:

1. DU

2. CC

3. UND/UMN

5. UW

6. UMD

7. UAA

8. MSUM

9. MTU

10. SCSU

I have the Sioux finishing 5th, right where they were this year. My predicted order of finish:

1. Colorado College - I just can't see this senior dominated team not winning the conference. Yeah, McElhinney is a big loss, but Zaba isn't too shaby.

2. Minnesota - more talent than any two teams in the nation, or so I've read about a thousand times. However, it will be interesting to see how other teams in the league play the Gophers next year, now that the word is out that they don't like physical play.

3. Wisconsin - they have to be improved, right? I mean, they lose only 1 player (albeit one of the best goalies in the league).

4. Denver - the Pioneers have bigger losses than the stat sheet shows but much like the last two years, they will weather a early season slump and will find themselves in the thick of a national championship chase.

5. North Dakota - a very young squad will experience some growing pains, especially on defense, but has the potential to come together in the same way they did this year. If Matt Greene returns, they could challenge for a top 3 finish otherwise, look for no better than 5th, but no worse either.

6. Minnesota Duluth - The Bulldogs graduation losses mirror those of the Sioux, in terms of numbers and importance to the team. The difference is that UND was a notch above UMD this year and has a much better incoming class. They are here because they have more offense than Anchorage and I expect Reichmuth to have a better Senior season.

7. Alaska Anchorage - This team was worse than their record last year and stole wins they had no business getting. There will be improvement on the ice, but not in the standings as the Seawolves are a year away from challenging for home ice.

8. Minnesota State Mankato - Should be able to score but the league's worst defense is not likely to improve with Volp gone.

9. St. Cloud State - maybe the freshmen will show more promise as sophs, something last year's freshmen didn't do. A better than average returning defensive core and goaltending keeps the Huskies out of the basement.

10. Michigan Tech - as much as I'd like to put Tech in front of St. Cloud, I can't. They lose one of the league's top playmakers in Murphy and a solid goalie in Ellsworth. Even if the younger forwards step up, they still are going to give up alot of goals next year.

UND's D will be spotty because they will be new to the division and inexperienced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That depends. If Smaby and Greene are back, it will help. Also, if I were the coach, I'd tell Lee Marvin right now that that the only position he should plan to play next season is defenseman. That's his preferred position and it gives the Sioux another experienced senior.

If Bina makes it back, the Sioux go from a freshman-loaded D-corps to one with two seniors, two juniors and a sophomore. I'm not saying any of this will happen, only that the situation might not be as bad as some think.

That depends. If Smaby and Greene are back, it will help. Also, if I were the coach, I'd tell Lee Marvin right now that that the only position he should plan to play next season is defenseman. That's his preferred position and it gives the Sioux another experienced senior.

If Bina makes it back, the Sioux go from a freshman-loaded D-corps to one with two seniors, two juniors and a sophomore. I'm not saying any of this will happen, only that the situation might not be as bad as some think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What would you tell Foyt? :silly: