SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Hockey Seats May Go

Lobo

Can someone please explain to me how the student proposal reinforces bad behavior? I don't see how being close to the goalie encourages people to swear. I know when I slip and swear, it is directed at the ref or a cheap player. Obviously the solution to improve my swearing is to improve the officiating. ;)

The second issue is the standing. I can't remember from reading the proposal, but does it state that standing would now be allowed? Standing is not a bad thing like swearing. The probelm results that the arena was not designed for standing because anywhere in the lower bowl, you will be blocking people if you are standing. There are suite all the way around. So if there were no suites on the end, what would be wrong with promoting standing. Standing can be a good thing if it doesn't blow the view of others. If you are going to focus on that as a problem, things like signs and big hats need to be addressed as well.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lastly for the people who say that the University is the people of North Dakota's university because the people of North Dakota pay for it. They are "kind of" right, but it is not as much of their University as it is the students. I totally understand that they help the UND and thank them for that. But sorry students do more...I'll let the data speak for itself.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So as someone who has already paid for years of tuition at UND as a student, as well as continues giving to the University after graduation; it could be said that it is, to use your terminology, "more my University than it is yours," right? ;)

Can someone please explain to me how the student proposal reinforces bad behavior?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here are the quotes from the Herald's April 29 article that bothered me:

The new plan would eliminate many of the conflicts between student fans and others in the arena, he said. The seats would be set in front of an arena lounge area, where many fans stand anyway to watch games while enjoying a drink.

"We wouldn't be blocking anybody," Haskins said.

Does this not indicate that one of the main reasons for moving the student section is to allow students to stand throughout the game? Or am I somehow misinterpreting the intent?

In my view, as long as students insist on having lower bowl seating and insist on standing, there are going to be complaints from people whose view is blocked. Sure, you can put the students somewhere else to minmize the complaints, but as long as the students stand, there will be legitimate complaints.

Haskins also called for repositioning UND's Pride of the North band from the nose-bleed sections to the heart of the lower bowl student areas. He said the band could drown out vulgar chants that might emanate from the students.

I understand and support the reasoning of putting the band closer to the students. That, in and of itself, is a good idea. But using the band to drown out profane cheers will never work.

As I see it, Haskins is telling that students that if they move their seats to another section, then standing is okay because it's not blocking anybody. And if the band is moved nearby, then swearing is okay because that band is there to cover it up. He's presenting his proposal as a compromise, which leads students to believe that they are giving something up in order to get something they want.

But they're not giving anything up and they're not doing anything to change the behavior that's causing the problems. So how does this solve anything?

Edited by PCM

Does this not indicate that one of the main reasons for moving the student section is to allow students to stand throughout the game? Or am I somehow misinterpreting the intent?

In my view, as long as students insist on having lower bowl seating and insist on standing, there are going to be complaints from people whose view is blocked. Sure, you can put the students somewhere else to minmize the complaints, but as long as the students stand, there will be legitimate complaints.

If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago they roped off the top 2-3 rows of seats to allow the suite holders to see over the studenskies. The remaining blockage issues came from neighboring sections who had to see across the standing students to the far end of the ice.

Moving the students to the end, AND roping off the top few rows SHOULD eliminate anyone's sight from being blocked. I realize the roping off part was not mentioned, so I'm not assuming what I just wrote is really the solution they are shooting for.

As written I would agree with your question. Roped off, yes, it would appear the students could stand if they wish without blocking anyone.

What if not everyone in the student section wants to stand throughout the entire game? Do we know that all students want to stand? How many do and how many don't? Is allowing standing fair to those students who don't want to?

If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago they roped off the top 2-3 rows of seats to allow the suite holders to see over the studenskies. The remaining blockage issues came from neighboring sections who had to see across the standing students to the far end of the ice.

Moving the students to the end, AND roping off the top few rows SHOULD eliminate anyone's sight from being blocked. I realize the roping off part was not mentioned, so I'm not assuming what I just wrote is really the solution they are shooting for.

As written I would agree with your question. Roped off, yes, it would appear the students could stand if they wish without blocking anyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am confident the students and University can come up with a solution. I still can't get an answer to my question why is it so important to stand the whole game???

Do I understand there is anyone in their right mind who would propose we "rope off seats" so students can stand the whole game? Why would we want to keep people form attending the games? I would think if you gave the students an option of sitting and standing occasionally when it makes sense vs losing those extra tickets, they would want the extra seats. Especially those students who couldn't get seats otherwise.

Do I understand there is anyone in their right mind who would propose we "rope off seats" so students can stand the whole game?  Why would we want to keep people form attending the games?  I would think if you gave the students an option of sitting and standing occasionally when it makes sense vs losing those extra tickets,  they would want the extra seats.  Especially those students who couldn't get seats otherwise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have roped off seats in the past, that is not something new.

Ever since I saw the Wisco - Goph game in Wisconsin this year. I have had a relevation and it is what Haskins/Flynn are trying to get done. Move them to the end behind the goalie. This isn't church, swearing will happen.

How do we curtail this problem. Come up with unique chants, maybe sioux crew could do something with this, rather than just showing up in some sweet green t's, they could come up with some chants. S-E-X isn't vulgar, F*ck the Gophers is... especially when their govenator shows up for a friendly wager.

I'm also a fan of not having "owned" seats. If someone is a problem, don't pull his tickets, fine him... a student would respect $500 fines. Let the seats go onsale Sunday mornings for the following Friday Saturday games. This would allieviate the problem of students missing classes for hockey tickets, if you wanted you could match people up with those weekend reserved tickets. Then if you are a dire hard fan guess what prove it, get up early on Sunday for those tickets.

oh yeah one more thing... STANDING DOESN'T EQUAL VOLUME, Canadaians were very loud and stood @ appropriate times.... maybe that is the answer: teaching the students/fans about hockey so they know when to cheer and when to sit and watch.

I just do not want to see the student section abolished, so to sum up this wild rant, I think change should occur, and students need to be shown a better way @ cheering and knowledge of the game.

No

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry, the correct answer is yes. They stand all game, jump, and dance. The general public all stands for goals (could we please get a louder goal horn at REA?), and almost everyone stays up for the sieve cheer. The entire arena also stands during the second intermission to sing the school song. Lastly, some weird old guy (many of you could fit that description :D ) leads a cheer that gets the entire crowd involved. The standing during gameplay aside, is it really that hard to get everyone involved? ;)

and that arena would be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For those that didn't figure it out from my last post, the Kohl Center. They are some of the stupidest fans I have ever seen, yet they could teach a clinic on creating a home-ice advantage.

For those that didn't figure it out from my last post, the Kohl Center.  They are some of the stupidest fans I have ever seen, yet they could teach a clinic on creating a home-ice advantage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How many WCHA arenas have you been in? I've been told by someone who's been in all of them numerous times that the atmosphere at the REA is among the best in the league.

How many WCHA arenas have you been in? I've been told by someone who's been in all of them numerous times that the atmosphere at the REA is among the best in the league.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

according to this years captains, of all ten teams, UND and Wisconsin tied at three apiece for "best WCHA arena atmosphere."

Kohl Center? You mean that place that chanted the vulgar term for "rectal oriface", clearly audible over various media at the game, at a visiting coach one game? That Kohl Center? That place that is now subject to the Big Ten's new "three strikes" policy for student seating possibly being broken up? That Kohl Center?

Trivia Question:

Do the students stand at the arena with the best WCHA atmosphere?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would hope not and that doesn't make the atmosphere. The best atmosphere is likely your own arena and it isn't worth debating which is best but I like ours. Other than tounaments, I have only been to Gopher and Duluth games. If you are a Gopher fan you will prefer their atmosphere. UND and the Gophers have better atmosphere than the Dogs but that is just my opinion.

Why would anyone give a rat's behind if they stand or sit. It isn't worth having your seats threatened by the president of the university and making National news for foul language is it?? It certainly isn't worth giving up seats to be able to stand. The team has no clue whether the students stand or sit and could care less. They appreciate the cheers and the support but you don't need to stand the whole game to accomplish that do you?

What if not everyone in the student section wants to stand throughout the entire game? Do we know that all students want to stand? How many do and how many don't? Is allowing standing fair to those students who don't want to?

First off I want to make clear that I'm not taking a position advocating making sure the students stand the whole game. I was only answering a question.

On more than one occasion I've attended gopher basketball games at Williams arena. The student section on the end of the court stands the whole game. If your seats are behind the students, you know you're going to be standing as well. Frankly, it's been a few years now and I don't recall if I was actually IN the student section or behind it. Either way, the understanding was you were going to need to stand to watch the game.

Frankly, I can understand why people like to stand the whole game. I like to. But I wouldn't argue it should be done at the expense of those around you. I don't have a problem if a particular section has a custom of standing for the whole game. You know if you are in that section, that's what you're going to do.