SiouxSports.com Forum

Column in the Michigan School Newspaper

RD17

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll accept the findings of the FBI that he wasn not, but wouldn't you agree that's it perhaps difficult to fault people for wrongly assuming he was a Nazi symapthizer given this info from your link?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said in one of my previous posts, there's more to the story than what is typically summarized in media accounts.

For example, in one of the Herald stories, it said that Engelstad had a World War II era bust of Hitler in his office. That fact alone might make some people suspicious. But, as the story noted, Ralph used the statue to hold his golf caps. In other words, it was his way of belittling Hitler, not glorifying him.

There are many people who collect Nazi memorabilia and regalia. While some of them probably are Nazi sympathizers, most have legitimate collections for historic, sentimental or investment purposes.

When I was a kid, a World War II vet in our neighborhood created a miniature museum in his basement. He had many Nazi insignia, medals and weapons engraved with swaztikas. We thought it was cool when he'd invite us in to view his collection. Nobody I knew considered him a Nazi sympathizer.

As an amateur military historian myself, I once had many books in by library (before the 1997 flood wiped out a large part of it) about Nazi Germany. Someone could have come into my home, put all the books together and said, "Just look at what he's reading! He must be a Nazi sympathizer!"

If you ignored all the other World War II books in my collection and all the books from various historical periods, it probably wouldn't have been difficult for someone to portray such an image of me to the outside world.

Anyway, the point, is, there's a lot more to the story than is typically reported. And very seldom do any of the stories state Ralph's side of the issue.

As I said in one of my previous posts, there's more to the story than what is typically summarized in media accounts.

For example, in one of the Herald stories, it said that Engelstad had a World War II era bust of Hitler in his office. That fact alone might make some people suspicious. But, as the story noted, Ralph used the statue to hold his golf caps. In other words, it was his way of belittling Hitler, not glorifying him.

There are many people who collect Nazi memorabilia and regalia. While some of them probably are Nazi sympathizers, most have legitimate collections for historic, sentimental or investment purposes.

When I was a kid, a World War II vet in our neighborhood created a miniature museum in his basement. He had many Nazi insignia, medals and weapons engraved with swaztikas. We thought it was cool when he'd invite us in to view his collection. Nobody I knew considered him a Nazi sympathizer.

As an amateur military historian myself, I once had many books in by library (before the 1997 flood wiped out a large part of it) about Nazi Germany. Someone could have come into my home, put all the books together and said, "Just look at what he's reading! He must be a Nazi sympathizer!"

If you ignored all the other World War II books in my collection and all the books from various historical periods, it probably wouldn't have been difficult for someone to portray such an image of me to the outside world.

Anyway, the point, is, there's a lot more to the story than is typically reported. And very seldom do any of the stories state Ralph's side of the issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that there is nothing wrong with collecting historical items, including Nazi memorabilia. However, it is a little harder to explain the "Hitler Birthday party" that occurred.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps, but it's hard to fathom him having two birthday parties in honor of the man if he truly despised him. I'm not really trying to argue that he was a sympathizer, just trying to explain why it seems some people would say that he was.

Ok, I'll accept that explanation but I still find it hard to believe the guy actually had two Hitler birthday parties.  I mean, even the least intelligent of us should be able to recognize how incredibly stupid, insensitive and repulsive that would be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ralph publicly admitted that the parties, the painting of him in the Nazi uniform and the "Hitler was right" bumper stickers were stupid. He apologized and offered to donate his entire collection to the Jewish Holocaust Museum.

But also remember that the parties were private, not public, events. Engelstad said that they were held to thank those involved in his museum project, which he tried to keep secret until he had collected the cars he wanted for his historic collection. He said the parties were in bad taste and a dumb idea. Nobody disputes that.

Ok, I'll accept that explanation but I still find it hard to believe the guy actually had two Hitler birthday parties.  I mean, even the least intelligent of us should be able to recognize how incredibly stupid, insensitive and repulsive that would be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

050114_IP_PrinceHarry-Nazi.jpg

If we reflected back on our own lives, I am sure we would find a few events or words we've spoken that would qualify as stupid, insensitive, and repulsive. Fortunately, we don't have the presss or paparazzi following us around. :D

My father landed on Omaha Beach, He has passed, and I now own a German 7mm Mauser, a Nazi Parade bayonet, and had a Nazi 9mm Lugar. I suppose my father who brought these home from the burn pile when they liberated Buchenwald is also considered a Nazi, and I also, for having them.

Folks, we can argue these adnauseum, unfortunately todays journalists sell based on sensationalism. Those who buy into that are not going to be swayed, and will squeal there unsupported views until the next new skewed sensational topic comes along.

Let's let this rest.

• 2 weeks later...

After several weeks, the Michigan Daily published my comments to Mr. Holman's article in the feedback section. Just thought I'd state this since I had been critical of them for not publishing the feedback on his article.

I agree with other posters who say that this tired story on Ralph and the Nazis should be given a rest. Here are some cold hard facts, in addition to those posted by PCM, who never reports a fact unless he knows it to be true.

1. Engelstad had his warts, as do we all.

2. Engelstad has done more for people in North Dakota, and Las Vegas, than most of us will ever know. Just ask those less fortunate than most of us. He was a Champion of the little guy, because he was once a little guy himself. Many will never know the largesse he has shown others in near all walks of life.

3. Ralph once owned a mamouth car collection. It was, rumor says, near the best thing that the Imperial Trailer Park had to offer.

4. That car collection once included the largest collection of Nazi staff cars and motorized craft than the world have seen since WWII.

5. To kick off the initial showing of those vehicles,

Ralph had his infamous costume party. It was one party, not several.

6. Ralph is not, and never has been, a Nazi. A hard-nosed son-of-a-gun, so it is said, at times, but never a Nazi.

7. Ralph's mid-70's party planners were idiots. In fairness to them, that was a different day and age, back when it was still ok to call a Polack a Polack.

8. Many admirerers of The Ralph, and of Ralph, will forever have penile envy. They will do or say anything without having nary a clue on the facts. Many, but not all, are whiney Gopher fans. The fact is, if Sidney Hartman and his collection of tight-fisted pals in the Twin Cities were even remotely capable of putting their money where it might count, the Gophers would have built themselves a new football stadium years ago, and probably would not have had to hold their hand out to pay for The John as well. All without having their snout in the public trough.

9. Ralph is in Heaven, or at least near the end of his Purgatory sentence. Seeing how most of us are probably in for ten or twenty thousand years, he is doing pretty well for himself . . . . still. There can be no reasonable argument on this. After all, he was a follower of the One True.

10. Get over this "Ralph was a Nazi" b.s. He was no more a Nazi than most everyone on this Board, who are all pretty decent men and women. Gopher fans included. Those who continue to claim so will have some hard questions to answer at Saint Peter's Gate, if'n they see it at all.

Drop the f$%k. Rats. I mean puck.

It wouldn't be an off-season without a Ralph Engelstad argument. Truth be told, many that comment about him only share ignorance as they know next to nothing about who he really was. I would certainly fall into this category so I try to stay away from commenting on this topic. (looks like I avoided my own advice in typing this post.)

What I am interested in however, is the following statement:

"Ralph is in Heaven, or at least near the end of his Purgatory sentence. Seeing how most of us are probably in for ten or twenty thousand years, he is doing pretty well for himself..."

NDH, you state this as though it is a fact and I am curious as to how you know this?

It wouldn't be an off-season without a Ralph Engelstad argument.  Truth be told, many that comment about him only share ignorance as they know next to nothing about who he really was.  I would certainly fall into this category so I try to stay away from commenting on this topic.  (looks like I avoided my own advice in typing this post.)

"Ralph is in Heaven, or at least near the end of his Purgatory sentence. Seeing how most of us are probably in for ten or twenty thousand years, he is doing pretty well for himself..."

NDH, you state this as though it is a fact and I am curious as to how you know this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like Bush, Ashcroft, Frist and Delay, NDH also talks to the Almighty. And She apparently talks back. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which? Ralph was a God-fearing man and lived his life with passion, compassion, and love for his fellow man. As such, he will soon be in, if he is not already in, Heaven. This I know, for the Bible tells me so.

If you are asking me how I know about your Purgatory sentence, or the sentences of anyone else, it is pretty well known that everyone is in for at least ten or twenty. Standard deal. Gopher fans are automatically doubled for spending extra time surfing the darker side of life, and sport.

Of course, ten or twenty thousand years is but a blip of dust on the scale of Eternity.

I agree with RW77. Let's let Ralphie RIP.

If you are asking me how I know about your Purgatory sentence, or the sentences of anyone else,  it is pretty well known  that everyone is in for at least ten or twenty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless one holds a belief other than Catholicism.

After several weeks, the Michigan Daily published my comments to Mr. Holman's article in the feedback section. Just thought I'd state this since I had been critical of them for not publishing the feedback on his article.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

link?

I'm fine with letting Ralph RIP. I was just struck with how confident you were in your statement, in particular the lumping together of everyone into a concept such as purgatory. I choose to respectfully decline your characterization of me in your particular brand of religion and would hope if you have anything more to say on the subject that it is done in another time and place.