SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Greene

ftnsiouxhockey

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard anything.

Did any one else notice that Matt's facemask cage was bent on the top righthand side after that hit that landed him in the penalty box? Was it from that hit, or was it like that all season?

In talking with some people on Saturday it sounded like the future of the NHL has a lot to do with Matt's future. He played the last part of the season with an elbow that was very painful, it's nice to have a leader that plays through pain and seems to have the respect of his team. Hopefully will have Matt back for his senior year.

I would love to see Matt back as well, especially with the regional in GF. If we have everyone back we should be able to make another run at it. That being said the crosscheck penalty that led to DU's 3rd goal just killed us. It was a needless penalty and an obvious one. He needs to understand the game situation a little better sometimes.

What exactly did he do to his elbow? It sounded like it was just a big cut, but since it kept being talked about it had to have been something more.

I want him and Smaby back plus I want them to train so they can play like 50 minutes a game next year. That way guys like Marty Sertich will be afraid to come onto the ice. ???

What exactly did he do to his elbow?  It sounded like it was just a big cut, but since it kept being talked about it had to have been something more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that he had it stitched up at least twice from slashes. As far as I could tell, most of the damage is to the inside of the joint, not the back side.

What exactly did he do to his elbow?  It sounded like it was just a big cut, but since it kept being talked about it had to have been something more.

I want him and Smaby back plus I want them to train so they can play like 50 minutes a game next year.  That way guys like Marty Sertich will be afraid to come onto the ice. ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not exactly sure how it happened, just heard it was the size of a grapefruit, Mark

Poolman said it was amazing how he played through.

Sometimes Matt does some foolish things, but I'd sure like him around next year to intimidate some of the new Gophers coming in.

Edmonton has already stated that they don't think he will benefit from more college play. I'm sure both sides are weighing money with the Greene side thinking "if you want me to play pro, make an offer I can accept" and the Edmonton side thinking "you are risking significant injury and/or a slow-down in your progress"...so somewhere in the middle, they will come together.

For all the penalties, some not so smart, I still say that Matt Greene is the most dominant of all college level defensemen. I guess he gets tired of being slashed across the elbow everytime he's on the ice and occassionally retaliates...wwud???

I'd love to see him play for the Sioux next year, but I wouldn't be surprized if he is suiting up in the AHL before this year's play-off time (if that's still a possibility - I'm not sure about deadlines, etc.)...

I haven't heard anything.

Did any one else notice that Matt's facemask cage was bent on the top righthand side after that hit that landed him in the penalty box?  Was it from that hit, or was it like that all season?

It was like that during the regionals. I was waiting for Clement to make a comment about it, because he'd just gone to the box and they were talking about his physical play. He must like it like that as I expected to see it straightened before the FF, but it wasn't. Maybe there's a bar in the way and he bent it out of shape. Or he just likes the image it projects!I

You cannot win a national championship with 3 fresman d and Radke playing regular shifts. We will be loaded at forward next year D is the only potential weak spot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is why I'm so happy that we have great goal tending for next year. I think they are going to save our butts...you have to admit that our defensive efforts were not perfect early on and D turned the puck over a number of times early in the season and in the last game, and great goaltending pulled us through alot of those games...great goaltending will allow the freshmen to make a few, but not many, mistakes and learn. What would happen do if Sioux had a Kellen Briggs instead of a Jordan or a Lammy??? That would be too scary to watch which is why the Gophers were so cautious about this past season's campaign...fresh defense and soft goaltending...not a good combination.

I agree that I am hoping Matt decides to play his senioir season at UND but in my opinion he should leave. He does take a lot of penalties many of which are deserved but in my opinion many aren't. I have to think opposing coaches tell their players to take dives anytime there around Matt because the ref will call anything on him and he is treated unfairly take the first penalty against Denver for example. A big clean hit that is two minutes because it was #2. I hope he stays but he is an NHL defenseman not a college one.

If we lose both Matt's, things will be tough next year defensively. I'm hoping that we lose just one, but anything can happen. ???

And I agree with DAR, I hadn't heard anything of Smaby leaving until I read that quote from the GM. Hopefully that is just one guys opinion in that organization and he can stay another year at least.

I hope Jim and Darcy Greene don't mind me posting this.....

Typically I'm not optimistic about players returning that have a chance of signing. When the money is there, they will almost always sign, there are a few exceptions like Matt Jones (thank you Matt). Up until this past weekend I had Greene in the "going for sure" category. Now I'm not so sure.

The Greene's drove in from Michigan. We were sitting on the couches in the Crown Plaza talking about Matt's experience so far. His mom teaches at Michigan State University and his dad is really a terrific person and they both are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. They were just bubbling with praise for UND and what it means for Matt to play here. They said there isn't another program in the country that creates the "family" atmosphere that they are experiencing with UND. I'll bet he spent more than an hour talking about Matt's love of the school. I mentioned that if Matt is offered a good contract this summer he will almost have to sign. But his dad said that Matt doesn't want to leave and they don't want him to either. They would like him to finish his college career with the Sioux next year and then move on. They talked about how Matt has grown so much as a person since he came here. Jim said that even the very few downs there's been, Matt learned important lessons from it. While we were talking, Eddie Belfour came walking up and stood next to the couches. Darcy Greene took out her game ticket and got up and asked him to sign it, which he did. She talked to him for a few minutes and then sat back down. I don't know what they talked about but she said that Eddie was as friendly as everyone else has been to them.

I still think that when it comes right down to it and Edmonton says they want him, it'll be extremely hard for him to turn it down. But I guess I wouldn't put him in the "100% for sure" category anymore.

Matt had grown up wanting to be a Michigan State Spartan because that is where his mom teaches and that's where his heart was. Most colleges knew that and didn't persue him because everyone assumed that he would end up there. MSU had offered him a scholarship and Matt had accepted. He was going off to Green Bay to play a juniors and then in October of that year, MSU called and said they decided they were going in a different direction and he wasn't in their plans. The Sioux found out about the situation and Brad Barry jumped on a plane and flew to Green Bay and told Matt UND would like him to come in for a visit. The visit was arranged within a couple weeks, Matt came in and committed and his parents are so happy that it turned out the way it did. As many of you know, Brad Berry is a terrific person and family man and he works with the defensemen. Matt's parents talked about all the time that Brad has spent working one on one with Matt and what it has meant for him to be around, not just Brad, but the other coaches too.

Another thing his parents talked about was all the support the hockey team gets from it's alumni and former players (Belfour, Hrkac, Patrick, etc, etc, etc) and what a special bond Sioux players have with each other for the rest of their lives. It's like no other in the country. They said that Matt talks about it quite a bit. He talks about all the players that come back to Grand Forks during the summer time to visit, work out and hang out with the present players. He wants to do that when it's his turn to give back because it means so much to the guys, like him, who are going to school and working the hockey camps during the summer.

Edmonton has already stated that they don't think he will benefit from more college play. I'm sure both sides are weighing money with the Greene side thinking "if you want me to play pro, make an offer I can accept" and the Edmonton side thinking "you are risking significant injury and/or a slow-down in your progress"...so somewhere in the middle, they will come together.

For all the penalties, some not so smart, I still say that Matt Greene is the most dominant of all college level defensemen. I guess he gets tired of being slashed across the elbow everytime he's on the ice and occassionally retaliates...wwud???

I'd love to see him play for the Sioux next year, but I wouldn't be surprized if he is suiting up in the AHL before this year's play-off time (if that's still a possibility - I'm not sure about deadlines, etc.)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just wish for once a guy could say hey I want that national championship and I am coming back to get it. The AHL is not exactly a glamourous league. Greene got more exposure playing for the Sioux this year than he ever would have in the AHL. Edmonton does not have much money to throw around so I am hoping with that and the labor situation that Greene comes back and leads us through the Grand Forks regional and on to Milwaukee for a repeat of the 1997 frozen four!!

Wow, Rick, what a great insight. I like Matt a bunch, but never really thought about him in the "human" light you've portrayed. I'm happy to hear his parents are supportive of his staying in Grand Forks. I sincerely hope he listens to them.