SiouxSports.com Forum

Thanks seniors!

mikejm

Quick thank you to an under-appreciated group of seniors. When I saw Matt Jones on the news last night, clearly having just cried his eyes out, talking about how he'll never again be able to call "these guys teammates", I wanted to call Hockey Mom and tell her to go give them all a big SiouxSports.com hug.

Here's to a great bunch of young men who worked their tails off to makes this a lot longer season than most folks would've thought possible:

Thanks Jake, Brian, Nick, Quinn, Colby, Matt, James, Rory and Andy. May life bring you as much joy as you've allowed me over the four years of your Fighting Sioux careers.

Quick thank you to an under-appreciated group of seniors. When I saw Matt Jones on the news last night, clearly having just cried his eyes out, talking about how he'll never again be able to call "these guys teammates", I wanted to call Hockey Mom and tell her to go give them all a big SiouxSports.com hug.

Here's to a great bunch of young men who worked their tails off to makes this a lot longer season than most folks would've thought possible:

Thanks Jake, Brian, Nick, Quinn, Colby, Matt, James, Rory and Andy. May life bring you as much joy as you've allowed me over the four years of your Fighting Sioux careers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey mikejm,I used your last sentance for my signature.If you don't mind I would like to keep it for awhile.If you do mind let me know and I will take it down.

Ditto, ditto, ditto. Great post. Just got back from Columbus and was so impressed as to how all the Sioux players handled themselves throughout the tournament. Such a classy bunch of young men. Hats off to the coaches and players on a great season.

As for Matt, Andy, Nick, Quinn, Rory, James, Brian, Colby, and Jake. Thanks for the memories and best of luck in all you do.

Definitely thanks, seniors, for a memorable ride. Jake Brandt, you could have been a Keyshawn Johnson type prima-donna griping that it was "your time" as a senior, but instead, you accepted your role this season and were the ultimate teammate. You reminded me a lot of Toby Kvalevog back in '97. I appreciated your wave to the fans in the Sioux section. You and your eight fellow-seniors have done the Sioux tradition proud.

Four glorious years from a group of athletes that rank up there with the best in the nation. I have been a proud fan of yours from the begining and will continue to cheer you on in your future efforts wherever they may take you. You are now and will always be champions, not just to me but to all who have watched you give your all to Sioux hockey. Thank you.

A big thanks to the seniors for their contributions to the Sioux program. It was great to see their leadership on display as this team came together. It hurts to come up one game short and I am sure the players feel that way more than any of us as they have devoted their hockey careers to reaching that goal and to come up short has to be tough. As time passes I am sure they will look back on this season with extreme pride. Good luck to this years group of seniors in all their future endeavors.

I still remember this group as "the freshman."

That big freshman class that was so heavily relied on to fill holes right away. The first year was tough. Inexperience, a new building, a new type of hockey fan. But you kept playing hard and giving everything. The year was maybe a disappointment, but the on-ice education you received was priceless. The second year was better. You showed flashes of brilliance, and very few signs of inexperience. All in all, you still gave us your best, and let us hope for #8. The third year was a big one. We had scoring talent, and our "freshman" were now experienced d-men and powerful skilled forwards. Again, you gave your best and again gave us a chance to relish in the thought of another NCAA banner. Again, we came up a bit short, but we took solice in the fact that our "freshman" were now seniors. What a group of experience we had coming back. For sure, we still had the tools to take it all home.

It was a bad summer, though, for our "freshman" as one of them left the group for the pros. Add another key player and arguably the best hockey coach in D-I to the MIA list, and all we had to rely on was your experience. It started rocky, learning a different style from a different coach. Something just wasn't clicking. The fans were upset, and started questioning why the experience didn't seem to be there. Just when we questioned the heart of this big class, you all stepped forward to tell us doubters to shove it. You took us on a whirlwind at the end of the season that left many heads spinning in dismay. We wanted heart, and what the "freshman" showed us was something nobody expected. You gave it all, and that's the best gift an average joe fan like myself could ever ask for. For that, I thank you tremendously.

From opening night at REA, with the fanfare, and the bright lights, to the big stage in Columbus, you have seen it all. You have shown heart and class in victory and defeat. You've stared adversity and bad circumstances in the eyes and faced it all head-on. You've all burned your marks in the history of Sioux Hockey and you won't be forgotten. You have epitomized what the Fighting Sioux Hockey tradition is all about.

To "the big freshman class," thanks for a memorable 4 years. It was a helluva ride for you, and it was a helluva a ride for the hockey fan like me. I'm very, very grateful.

Thanks for the effort, the success, and the smiles!

And Jake, those great one liners: "**** where are you going!?!?!" "**********, you stiff." Two classics, among many, caught by the on ice microphone this past weekend.

Thanks for the effort, the success, and the smiles!

And Jake, those great one liners:  "**** where are you going!?!?!"  "**********, you stiff."  Two classics, among many, caught by the on ice microphone this past weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also heard, "Harrington! You're scared!" ???

Gotta say I'll miss Jake the most. He is by far the classiest guy I have ever met, good-hearted and genuine. He would take the blame for the loss, but give all the credit to the team for a win.

He and Josh were quite the pair, I still remember them coming back that freshman season and chanting "Sioux Sweep" and pounding on my door at 3:00am.

Best of luck buddy, keep smiling!