SiouxSports.com Forum

First All-WCHA Frozen Four?

Galley

Most years, the defending champion gets a big bullseye target painted on their jerseys.

Next year, the entire league gets a bullseye. Every game becomes Goliath vs. David.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As it should be...we are the elite league, about time everyone learns that!

WPoS

Kind of makes you wonder if the NCAA will make sure this doesn't happen again.  Wasn't this the first time in several years that the WCHA had a team in each regional?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NCAA always tries to avoid this. It was too hard for them with three #1 seeds and five teams total.

The WCHA domination should continue for years to come because of the recruiting classes for the next couple of years. Minneosta, UND, Denver, CC continue to bring in all the top recruits. Michigan and the Big 4 east schools do OK, but the reality is that recruits like Toews and Kessel aren't going that way anymore.

Minnesota and UND may be brining in their best classes ever. Duluth and Wisconsin have decent classes and both programs appear to be on the upswing. Duluth may be getting a new stadium, which will boost their program.

Alaska-Anchorage seems to be getting better and better. One would think that AA is a school that will have the resources to compete eventually. It is in a city of 2 million.

Michigan Tech, MSU Mankato, and Sterns County Clown College are programs in tough times. Michigan Tech has a good history, but does not seem to have the resources to compete. The two Minnesota State Schools might be better served in a weaker conference like CHA.

The WCHA domination is not a fluke or a 1 year wonder. The conference is only getting better and better. In the future I expect the Final 5 to be the best college hockey tournament including the frozen four.

Kind of makes you wonder if the NCAA will make sure this doesn't happen again.  Wasn't this the first time in several years that the WCHA had a team in each regional?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd agree with you, I think last year there was a region that DIDN'T have a WCHA team in it...and I'd BET they will do that from now on....which of course is worse than any whinning one hears about "home" ice or sheet size...

WPoS

I'm not too sure about the veracity of this tidbit, but I'll post it anyway:

I heard from my sister's neighbor's brother-in-law's plumber that Gary Bettman and Bruce McLeod have been negotiating the last couple of days. Apparently the NHL wants to buy the WCHA and operate the it as the top-level North American pro league next year. :)

Word is that the purchase price is upwards of $700 million to be split among the ten member universities, and includes all players and logos, etc. The home rinks, obviously, are not included in the proposed sale, but would be leased by the NHL from each of the schools. Season ticket prices are yet to be determined.

I'm not too sure about the veracity of this tidbit, but I'll post it anyway:

I heard from my sister's neighbor's brother-in-law's plumber that Gary Bettman and Bruce McLeod have been negotiating the last couple of days. Apparently the NHL wants to buy the WCHA and operate the it as the top-level North American pro league next year.  :)

Word is that the purchase price is upwards of $700 million to be split among the ten member universities, and includes all players and logos, etc. The home rinks, obviously, are not included in the proposed sale, but would be leased by the NHL from each of the schools. Season ticket prices are yet to be determined.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All the Gofer games will be played at Mariucci to guarantee the revenue stream and the playoffs and finals will be played on "neutral ice" at the X. :D

ESPN is reporting that this is the first time the final four teams for an NCAA tournament are all from the same conference in ANY sport.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is true and was there ever any doubt that if/when this happened it would be the WCHA? Top to bottom the best league in the country....by far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last two years they have gone pretty much strictly by the PWR (if you don't include the switch of Denver and CC this year). So it worked last year where Number 1 North Dakota played in the same region as Number 8 Denver. Similarly Number 2 seed Duluth played in the same region as Number 7 Minnesota.

The only team that had a chance in a different region was Wisconsin and they went into overtime if I remember right in their loss.

So having three Number 1 seeds is really what made it happen this year and then of course having North Dakota smoke the Boston schools in Worcester made it work.

But let's be realistic. DU beats Bemidji State in OT, CC has to come from 3 back to beat Michigan 4-3, and Minnesota has to win 2 OT games in their home arena to make it happen. We could have easily had a couple of different teams there.

<snip>

Alaska-Anchorage seems to be getting better and better.  One would think that AA is a school that will have the resources to compete eventually.  It is in a city of 2 million.

<Snip>

Just a correction here.  Anchorage only has ~260,000 people.  The entire state only has about 625,000. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In all honesty, this is "AWESOME" for the WCHA. Furthermore, I don't who said this but they are right on the money on this one. Next year the entire conference will have a target on it's back. I maybe off a couple of words but please forgive me for at least giving it a go on that comment. As for ESPN, well all I can say is that they need to face the fact that the WCHA is a much stronger conference then that of Hockey East. Just look at the last five years alone for out the last five Frozen Four champions are from the WCHA. If that doesn't tell you anything then I don't what will.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

As for ESPN, well all I can say is that they need to face the fact that the WCHA is a much stronger conference then that of Hockey East. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Recently and historically.

This year's will be the 58th NCAA ice hockey championship and obviously a WCHA team will win it. That makes 30 of the 58 championships for the WCHA and five of the last six, if my math is correct.

By my count (taking into account that some of the eastern teams may have shifted conferences in the past, which I am not aware of) the number of titles are:

WCHA 30

CCHA 15

HE 8

ECAC 5

From a numbers perspective only, there is quite a disparity between the WCHA and the eastern conferences. In fact, historically, HE is more on par with the ECAC, even though I don't feel that it is hockey-wise anymore. But, even if one combines the two eastern conferences, the number of titles falls short of those earned by the CCHA, which has half the number of the WCHA.

Titles

By my count (taking into account that some of the eastern teams may have shifted conferences in the past, which I am not aware of) the number of titles are:

Did you take that into account?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did take that into account, but didn't have time to research WCHA league membership all the way back to 1948, sorry. Michigan has won nine titles, how many as a WCHA representative, I have no idea. MSU has won two, in '66 and '86. In '86, at least, they were members of the CCHA.

The point was more about HE's lack of titles.

Read the sentence above as it applies to WCHA teams, the same would apply to teams from all other conferences.

The point remains, in the grand scheme of things, HE has not had much success winning ice hockey championships.

I posted this a while ago on USCHO:

The WCHA is the best this year and most likely of all time.

These stats reflect current conference affiliation so fire at will. I haven't included AH or CHA for obvious reasons.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP APPEARANCES:

All-time;

WCHA=49

HEA=25

CCHA=22

ECAC=17

Last 25 years;

WCHA=20

HEA=16

CCHA=11

ECAC=5

Last 10 years;

WCHA=7

HEA=12

CCHA=3

ECAC=0

CONFERENCE WINNING PERCENTAGES:

All-time;

WCHA=57%

HEA=32%

CCHA=73%

ECAC=29%

Last 25 years;

WCHA=60%

HEA=25%

CCHA=73%

ECAC=40%

Last 10 years;

WCHA=71%

HEA=25%

CCHA=100%

ECAC= N/A

So...

Are all time stats more important or current?

The CCHA has the best winning percentage but the least appearances and championships of the big three. (Put UMich back in the WCHA where most of their NC's came from and the numbers rise for the WCHA)

HEA has the most appearances in last 10 years so one would think the table would be leaning towards the East. But... they also can't convert in the big game.

Overall, everything West of the Appalachins is where the big bang comes from, as far as NC's are concerned.

Arguements could be made that the NHL has looked upon the East as a better recruiting ground over the long run, so who knows. The East could've lost a lot of players that would've helped. Hockey's also been around the East for a bit longer than the west.

I'm biased towards the West as the Best, but you decide.

I did take that into account, but didn't have time to research WCHA league membership all the way back to 1948, sorry. Michigan has won nine titles, how many as a WCHA representative, I have no idea. MSU has won two, in '66 and '86. In '86, at least, they were members of the CCHA.

The point was more about HE's lack of titles.

Read the sentence above as it applies to WCHA teams, the same would apply to teams from all other conferences.

The point remains, in the grand scheme of things, HE has not had much success winning ice hockey championships.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's fine, I wasn't really trying to attack your point. I just wanted to show how dominant the WCHA has been in the grand scheme of things, and that most of Michigan's titles were won as a member of our league. I apologize if my post gave the wrong impression. Go Sioux!