SiouxSports.com Forum

P Reusse blasts Gophers-Star Tribune today

terbele

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is the text...

The hockey headline on the website for University of Minnesota sports reads, "Minnesota Earns No. 1 Seed in NCAA Tournament." This is the most fraudulent document involving Gophers athletes since the basketball lads were submitting the late Jan Gangelhoff's famed paper on the menstrual cycle.

And, when they fail miserably, the NCAA so enjoys those large crowds here in Minnesota that it still goes out of the way to help the Gophers advance.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Please do not repost entire texts from other sources. Links only. Quote only key sections and paraphrase the rest. Respect the copyrights of others. Thank you. --- GDM, Forums Moderator.

Wow! I didn't realize anyone in Mpls/St Paul agreed with me on that fact. Even fans at the arena knew that Saturday's game didn't mean a thing to the Gophers since they were certain they had locked up a #1 seed. On the basis of WHAT, can I ask? Since when did a 3rd place regular season finish and a 4th place conference tournament finish mean a #1 seed?

Wow!  I didn't realize anyone in Mpls/St Paul agreed with me on that fact.  Even fans at the arena knew that Saturday's game didn't mean a thing to the Gophers since they were certain they had locked up a #1 seed.  On the basis of WHAT, can I ask?  Since when did a 3rd place regular season finish and a 4th place conference tournament finish mean a #1 seed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I played with the bonus and such on USCHO lots and pretty much had the Gophs locked into the fourth #1 easily...is it perfect? Is it always fair? But it IS better than what we used to have and hopefully they can keep improving the methodology as time goes on.

WPoS

This is one of those rare instances where the old method of choosing seeds for the NCAA might have been better. Do the Gophers deserve a number 1 seed? I dont think so as it is we were rewarded with a tough first game and will probably be one and done. But who knows they are kids.I think UND has a very good chance in thier regional they have always played the Boston teams tough.

This is one of those rare instances where the old method of choosing seeds for the NCAA might have been better. Do the Gophers deserve a number 1 seed? I dont think so as it is we were rewarded with a tough first game and will probably be one and done. But who knows they are kids.I think UND has a very good chance in thier regional they have always played the Boston teams tough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The top 2 seeds are likely the only important "1's" since they get the two weaker teams. After that, there do not appear to be any games that seem to be "easy" for anyone, so in the long run keeping a subjective system probably is better. Seems that the one flip (Denver/CC) may have kept the Sioux out of Marriucci (although that's unclear to me, maybe it kept them out of Grand Rapids).

It is nice to be the one team with the regional on real home ice, even though the Gophers were there no matter what the seeding. The Sioux have that opportunity next year.

A tough first game? Maine has been barely skating by all season, Turk. You're basing them on reputation alone. Kinda like the computer did with the Gophers. Again, go re-read the article. 3-7 in their last 10 games against teams in this same tournament. #3 in the conference (tied) and #4 in the conference tournament. This is what it's come to? A 1998 Colorado College team that lost, what, all of 3 games that year, doesn't make the cut for the final twelve because they lost to Michigan Tech in the first round of the WCHA playoffs and seven years later, we award a #1 seed to a team with a winning percentage in the .600's?

Do the Gophers deserve a number 1 seed? I dont think so as it is we were rewarded with a tough first game and will probably be one and done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hit the road for home right after the third-place game and found WCCO on the radio for post-game coverage. They had Minnesota's press conference so I got to listen to Lucy's devaluing the game. He said the difference in the game was between UND's "having to win" and the Gophers already having the #1 locked up. I found that a little demeaning.

After they signed off from the X, the guy who came on the air had some very frank words about the Gophers not deserving a #1 seed. He went on to some great length about the tailspin Minnesota has been in, the suspect goaltending and the apparent dischord in the locker room. Interesting comments.

I'm not sure exactly how relevant this is to this particular thread, but I was listening to PA and Dubay this morning (why, I'll never know) and Jeff Dubay actually said the following (paraphrase):

"I don't give a CRAP what team comes back and wins a third-place game. We don't know the motivation for each team. We all know that the Gophers were dealing with several issues for that game."

There are so many things I could say about this statement, yet I kind of feel like the idiocy speaks for itself.

The NCAA uses the Pairwise system to determine seeding. The Gophers were #4 in the Pairwise. Therefore they get the last #1 seed.

The reporter is an idiot who knows nothing about college hockey. It can be debated that they didn't deserve the #1 seed, but to hint at some conspiracy is a little ridiculous. Say they changed Cornell to a #1 seed - That means the Gophers get Cornell's spot and have the #2 seed in the exact same brackets. Only they have to play Ohio first - something I would rather do. Even if the Gophs were a 4 seed they would be playing at home - they are the host school.

What it comes down to is the fact that all games are equal. If they would have lost 2 games earlier in the season, but one these last two game, they'd be in the same place.

The pairwise rankings don't put into account the current situation of the team, just the teams they played, and the wins and loses. And that's how it should be. A game is a game. Just because two of their loses came in the tournament doesn't mean they should get punished that much more for losing them.

uh oh....did I just defend the Gophers? No, I guess not, just the PWR.

Yea, yea, yea, the Gophers always have the odds stacked against them. Frankly, it's quite stunning if you really think about it, that they've even been able to win as many titles as they have. I mean, with gift-wrapped #1 seeds, playing games at the X, game-times being moved to accomodate the fans...It's a damn miracle this team can even compete with the likes of a Boston College, Michigan, or North Dakota. :lol:

Here's a great comment I heard from a maroon and gold fan as I left the X after UND's 4-2 win.

"It doesn't matter anyways...you're goin' nowhere." I asked that dumb*** to put some money where his mouth is and make a bet. He looked at me stunned and I told him to give me a business card and I'd mail him a check for $50 if the Sioux didn't make the tournament. Still stunned, he turned around and I asked, "cmon, back up that talk." He walked away.

Overheard Friday:

"Shepherd 3, Gophers 0." Yea, he scored 2 of CC's goals and assisted on the 3rd.

"That no-goal took changed the momentum. You can't have the team standing around like that." Gee, did you see the guy skate right behind the goalie as the shot was being taken? Gimme a break. That no-goal was painfully obvious to anyone not wearing maroon and gold. Frankly, I give the officials a thumbs up for getting that right.

If Don Lucia and co. want to de-emphasize the 3rd place game, let's de-emphasize it totally and scrap it.

BigGreyAnt41,

Think about that...

Let's talk about three years ago then when St Cloud and UMD had similar records. UMD beats St Cloud on the road in the first round of the WCHA playoffs and finishes third in the Final Five, having lost a very close game in the semi-final. St Cloud finishes the season on an 0-6 slide, while UMD was the hottest team around. St Cloud gets picked for the tournament and promptly gets spanked by BU. Meanwhile, UMD sits at home wishing they had won an additional game or two back in October?

BigGreyAnt41,

Think about that...

Let's talk about three years ago then when St Cloud and UMD had similar records.  UMD beats St Cloud on the road in the first round of the WCHA playoffs and finishes third in the Final Five, having lost a very close game in the semi-final.  St Cloud finishes the season on an 0-6 slide, while UMD was the hottest team around.  St Cloud gets picked for the tournament and promptly gets spanked by BU.  Meanwhile, UMD sits at home wishing they had won an additional game or two back in October?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mafia-

You are a walking fountain of information !! :lol: Man, I barely remember where I had my last beer let alone what happened a couple of years back in the WCHA.... ;)

The Gophers earned the number one seed months ago. It has no reflection on the way they are currently playing, it should not come as that big of a surprise to all who read this board. It was mentioned by Jim Dahl and I think I mentioned it here as well a long time ago that the Gophers would need a collapse of rediculous proportions to lose the top seed. Be happy, they nearly pulled it off.

This Gophers team does not handle adversity over the course of a game well at all. It lacks depth and without top flight goaltending it is far more likely to lose a close game than win it.

The best teams in the country in my opinion right now are:

DU

Michigan

BC

CC

Cornell

UND

BU

UM

Maine

UNH

OSU

UW

Colgate

Harvard

I'll take the dufus Reusse ripping the Gophers any day of the week. The last time he did it was April 6, 2002. Funny he didn't have much to say on April 7th, 2002.

One other clarification. The Gophers/Lucia were not sure they had a number one seed locked up on Saturday. What they knew was that it was out of their control. Basically they needed BC and DU to with the tourneys in order to get the top seed. That was true win or lose against the Sioux. I also don't buy the idea that the Gophers tanked the game or didn't care, they came out strong but the Sioux capatalized on Briggs and took the game over in the third.

The reporter is an idiot who knows nothing about college hockey.  It can be debated that they didn't deserve the #1 seed, but to hint at some conspiracy is a little ridiculous.  Say they changed Cornell to a #1 seed - That means the Gophers get Cornell's spot and have the #2 seed in the exact same brackets.  Only they have to play Ohio first - something I would rather do.  Even if the Gophs were a 4 seed they would be playing at home - they are the host school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the Cornell crew really wanted was to get the number one seed and then have the NCAA place two WCHA teams at Mariucci allowing them to stay east.

I suspect they are worked up about nothing, Cornell should be able cruise through the Mariucci regional unless somehow Goligoski and Hagemo get healthy and Hirsch works through his issues by gametime. Even if those three play Saturday, the Maine game won't be a gentle contest.