SiouxSports.com Forum

P Reusse blasts Gophers-Star Tribune today

terbele

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sagard,

How could the Gophers earn a #1 seed "'MONTHS AGO" if the PRI rates all regular season games equally?  Hmnnnnnn...that's a mystery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, all regular season games are rated equally, so even though the Gophers didn't play well down the stretch, they played well to start the season.

Again, my feeling is that "current play" should be added back into the equation. Who wants a team on life support finaggling its way into the tournament (see also: St Cloud 2002, Wisconsin 2005) while someone hot at the right time sits at home?

The fact that a Gopher/Sioux game was of little or no importance (or so he says) to Don Lucia should be enough to tell you that something is wrong.

Let's be serious here, Gopher fans. If the Sioux had had this happen to them this year and were playing a home regional at REA as a #1 seed, you'd be screaming like a baby with a messy diaper. Or picture the ACC tournament where Duke and North Carolina battle it out for the title and watch Georgia Tech garnish a #1 seed on the basis of finishing 3rd in the conference and being eliminated in the conference tournament semi-final round. It's a joke!

And before you call me a homer, let me be the first to say if the Sioux finish 3rd in the conference and 4th in the tournament, there is no way in h-e-double-l that they should get a #1 seed. Ever.

You're making my points for me, Couteau. MONTHS ago was before the tournaments even started. Again, if all games are rated equally, how can it be that losses later don't matter?

So on the basis of winning games in October and November, teams can afford to tank games in February and March and not worry about a #1 seed? Gimme a break. How about a team that loses a few players due to injury (and I'm not talking about the Sioux here), goes thru a tough spell, and turns it on at the end?

I suspect they are worked up about nothing, Cornell should be able cruise through the Mariucci regional unless somehow Goligoski and Hagemo get healthy and Hirsch works through his issues by gametime.  Even if those three play Saturday, the Maine game won't be a gentle contest.

I have little respect for the ECAC - I picked Ohio over Cornell. I think the Gophers will get their act together long enough to lose to the Sioux at the Frozen Four. :lol:

The only non-ECAC quality team Cornell beat this year was Maine. Their record is impressive though - I just do not give them as much credit as most. I guess we'll see next weekend.

A tough first game?  Maine has been barely skating by all season, Turk.  You're basing them on reputation alone.  Kinda like the computer did with the Gophers.  Again, go re-read the article.  3-7 in their last 10 games against teams in this same tournament.  #3 in the conference (tied) and #4 in the conference tournament.  This is what it's come to?  A 1998 Colorado College team that lost, what, all of 3 games that year, doesn't make the cut for the final twelve because they lost to Michigan Tech in the first round of the WCHA playoffs and seven years later, we award a #1 seed to a team with a winning percentage in the .600's?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maine is has lost what maybe 3 in thier last 18 games they have played a very good BC team 3 time in the last 2 weks and lost 2 close games and tied them.Maine is the toughest 4 seed . They very well could win our region especailly considering the plane crash the Gophers have morphed into. I think you need to reread my post.

I'm not sure exactly how relevant this is to this particular thread, but I was listening to PA and Dubay this morning (why, I'll never know) and Jeff Dubay actually said the following (paraphrase):

"I don't give a CRAP what team comes back and wins a third-place game. We don't know the motivation for each team. We all know that the Gophers were dealing with several issues for that game."

There are so many things I could say about this statement, yet I kind of feel like the idiocy speaks for itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Consider the source. I could say so many things as well.

But if you weigh out the whole season equally, Turk77, and throw out that playoff game against BC since it didn't matter anyways and really had no effect on the Pairwise, Maine has been pretty mediocre. :lol:

Let me check and see how they did in October and November...

So the Goofs are a number one seed again. Big deal! Based on their next opponents play they will be one and out. Maine has exceptional goaltending and Defence at the moment and the Goofs offence has gone south. My only disappointment is that it gives a team like Maine another easy path to the Frozen Four.

sagard,

How could the Gophers earn a #1 seed "'MONTHS AGO" if the PRI rates all regular season games equally?  Hmnnnnnn...that's a mystery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I should have been more clear about is that the Gophers wins from months ago are what propped their PWR rankings.

The most important component of PWR is RPI. This component shows the Gophers in sixth over all and after a 0.003, 0.002, 0.001 quality win adjustment shows the Gophers far closer to #10 UND than #5 Michigan.

The Gophers got their ranking due to one of the more famous problems with PWR. There is no strength of opponent in the TUC category. The Gophers racked up a 10-0 record against MSU and SCSU. This inflated their TUC record meant that any team who wanted to win a comparison and didn't have any games with the Gophers had to beat the Gophers in both RPI and common opponents.

With Cornell the Gophers had one common oppenent. Michigan State. The Gophers beat them, Cornell didn't. Cornell almost overcame the 10-0 TUC cushion, but couldn't. So the Gophers get the last #1 seed. Although many don't like the results from PWR this year, I wouldn't advise a switch to subjective rankings.

Coincidently KRACH got fooled by the Gophers this year as well. Although the margins were exceedingly thin, the Gophers were ranked ahead of Michigan and Cornell there as well.

At least we don't have to hear the word "upset," which is what you'd get if a #4 seed Gopher team lost at Mariucci to a #1 seed Maine.

I heard enough of that to last me a lifetime w/the 1998 Sioux team and the 2002 Denver team. I would hardly consider it Jets over Colts or Villanova/Georgetown when a top-ranked hockey team loses to a slightly lower-ranked team that is playing "host".

But if you weigh out the whole season equally, Turk77, and throw out that playoff game against BC since it didn't matter anyways and really had no effect on the Pairwise, Maine has been pretty mediocre.  :lol:

Let me check and see how they did in October and November...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is wrong. The Maine/BC playoff game mattered a ton. If BC lost that double OT game, they would have also lost their comparison with Cornell. Allowing Cornell to either pass or tie the Gophers for last number one seed depending on RPI bonus.

You can hate Lucia and his comments forever, but you need to put them in the correct context. If Lucia had truly not cared about the UND game, many others who have been banged up the second half may not have dressed. Again if you are looking for Lucia to praise UND after beating the Gophers and to rip his own team, don't hold your breath.

So the Goofs are a number one seed again.  Big deal!  Based on their next opponents play they will be one and out.  Maine has exceptional goaltending and Defence at the moment and the Goofs offence has gone south.  My only disappointment is that it gives a team like Maine another easy path to the Frozen Four.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly this is likely closest to the truth. I'd even go so far to say they have an easy path to the final game unless UND can make it through the Eastern regional.

Of course the same can be said for any team in the east or west regionals.

At least we don't have to hear the word "upset," which is what you'd get if a #4 seed Gopher team lost at Mariucci to a #1 seed Maine. 

I heard enough of that to last me a lifetime w/the 1998 Sioux team and the 2002 Denver team.  I would hardly consider it Jets over Colts or Villanova/Georgetown when a top-ranked hockey team loses to a slightly lower-ranked team that is playing "host".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what you are saying and i agree. The Gophers record is 6-2 for thier last 8 which is misleading also. The bottem line we dont deserve a number 1 seed but it really doesnt matter being they host it anyway . UND could very well have the same problem next year. We got a break i can go back to 97 and remember when they tied UND for the regular season and lost the final five in OT and were rewarded with Mich at Yost while CC played the little sisters of the poor out east and made it in to the frozen four. So it goes both ways

I don't give a hoot what Don Lucia says about the Sioux. What I do care about is how he belittles the whole tournament and the seemingly meaningless third place game. What does that say about the FANS who pay to attend those 3rd place games?

I know the NCAA is just hoping Minnesota pulls thru and packs Mariucci Arena and they can pat themselves on the back saying "nice job on selecting Minnesota for a regional." My hope is that it's a Maine/Cornell or Maine/Ohio State final and that there are 500 people in Mariucci and that place doesn't see a regional for another 20 years a la the Great Dane fiasco of a few years back (1999).

Turk77,

You're incorrect. Your 1997 Gophers played Michigan in Grand Rapids, about two and a half hours from Ann Arbor. If you're going to say the Xcel is "neutral" ice and not Gopher territory, I'd hardly consider a two and a half hour drive from Ann Arbor as Wolverine country (except in football).

I don't give a hoot what Don Lucia says about the Sioux.  What I do care about is how he belittles the whole tournament and the seemingly meaningless third place game.  What does that say about the FANS who pay to attend those 3rd place games?

I know the NCAA is just hoping Minnesota pulls thru and packs Mariucci Arena and they can pat themselves on the back saying "nice job on selecting Minnesota for a regional."  My hope is that it's a Maine/Cornell or Maine/Ohio State final and that there are 500 people in Mariucci and that place doesn't see a regional for another 20 years a la the Great Dane fiasco of a few years back (1999).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be careful what you wish for. If UND or the Gophers aren't in the regional final next season at the Ralph, there won't be too large of a crowd there either.

Turk77,

You're incorrect.  Your 1997 Gophers played Michigan in Grand Rapids, about two and a half hours from Ann Arbor.  If you're going to say the Xcel is "neutral" ice and not Gopher territory, I'd hardly consider a two and a half hour drive from Ann Arbor as Wolverine country (except in football).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct. My point is that it was a bit of a shaft to the Gophers that year. I think the third place game should be dropped only becasue it doesnt seem to really have any impact on the seedings.The only goal of the final 5 is to make money. have it at the Ralph every year and charge more money for the tickets. I could care less Then we can continually whine about home ice advantage for the Sioux. It seems like you are almost safer not playing in the final five.The NCAAs are all about who can win 4 games in a row.Right now i dont like Minnesotas chances

Quite honestly, I'd like to see which regional would draw more without the home team, sagard. A lot of the proud Gopher faces I saw on Friday night couldn't even come out to watch the 3rd place game on Saturday. What makes you think they'd watch Maine v Ohio State/Cornell on Easter Sunday?

Turk77,

We agree on something! Nice work. I knew we could do it. I think a lesson everyone learned last year is that you don't go all out like gangbusters for the Broadmoore Trophy. How many coaches watched DU's run and thought "hmnnn...heal up while they duke it out, then quietly get into the NCAA's and win the whole frickin' thing..."

Quite honestly, I'd like to see which regional would draw more without the home team, sagard.  A lot of the proud Gopher faces I saw on Friday night couldn't even come out to watch the 3rd place game on Saturday.  What makes you think they'd watch Maine v Ohio State/Cornell on Easter Sunday?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems to me we did pretty well without the Gophers in a few years ago at Marriucci.having the final on easter sunday is pretty stupid IMO .

It sounds and looks like the Gopher fans cared more about the third place game than coaching staff and team, according to all the long faces at the taverns on 7th after the game.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the team did care about the game. They simply got beat. Lucia simply pointed out that Gophers seeding was dependant on how other games went, not how the Gophers game went. I wouldn't believe it for a second that the guys were not out there trying to win. Lucia didn't put Pohl, Borgen, and Solie into the lineup. He went with the best he had available. He also got his answer to whether or not Briggs would be sharp in returning to action.

I think the third place game should be dropped only becasue it doesnt seem to really have any impact on the seedings.The only goal of the final 5 is to make money.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If their only goal is to make money (and we know it is), they sure as hell won't drop a game that they can get revenue from...even if it is a lame 3rd place game...