SiouxSports.com Forum

P Reusse blasts Gophers-Star Tribune today

terbele

Turk77,

Take the Sioux out of there and what would you have had attendance-wise? If memory serves me correct, the teams involved were Niagara, New Hampshire, Boston College, Michigan State, North Dakota, and Wisconsin. BC beat Wisconsin and UND beat Niagara. UND and Wisconsin fans made that tournament.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite honestly, I'd like to see which regional would draw more without the home team, sagard.  A lot of the proud Gopher faces I saw on Friday night couldn't even come out to watch the 3rd place game on Saturday.  What makes you think they'd watch Maine v Ohio State/Cornell on Easter Sunday?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There won't be much of a crowd Sunday if the Gophers aren't playing, but the many of the tickets were sold with the season ticket packages so the NCAA won't care that much.

I really don't want to see the scenario for obvious reasons.

Turk77,

We agree on something!  Nice work.  I knew we could do it.  I think a lesson everyone learned last year is that you don't go all out like gangbusters for the Broadmoore Trophy.  How many coaches watched DU's run and thought "hmnnn...heal up while they duke it out, then quietly get into the NCAA's and win the whole frickin' thing..."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its happened a few times i remember Sconny doing it to us in 1981 after being upset by CC in the WCHA playoffs. Instead of a final five post season tourney maybe they should make it a preseason tourney. let all of the other teams pound on each other and all of the WCHA teams could stay home get healthy. I shouldnt complain to much the WCHA dominates alot in college hockey, there is a reason it seems to be a wcha team winning it alot more than not in the finals. We beat each other up and then go beat everybody else up, so i guess its a perfectly flawed system :lol:

Turk77,

Take the Sioux out of there and what would you have had attendance-wise?  If memory serves me correct, the teams involved were Niagara, New Hampshire, Boston College, Michigan State, North Dakota, and Wisconsin.  BC beat Wisconsin and UND beat Niagara.  UND and Wisconsin fans made that tournament.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and thats the whole point of putting them in that region. Do you think that the Ralph will be full next year if UND isnt in it? Lets just say its Denver with a bunch of teams from out east do think it will be packed house? Its easy to say it will but you never know.Mpls has alot of grads from WCHA schools in and around the area.

I'm not arguing that REA will have 10,000+ next year without the Sioux. I think I've already mentioned the hockey-poor attitude the fans had last year for the Brown/Wayne State game. There were maybe 500 people in the building for that "classic" game. I'm just pointing out it would be an interesting comparison if the two local teams weren't there.

It's easy to say "successful" region when you have Michigan at Yost, Minnesota at Mariucci, and possibly North Dakota at REA and bash the Great Dane and other venues when the local team is nowhere to be found. Like I said, I'm just curious.

And wasn't it just a few years that Hockey East was so proudly showcasing 3 teams in Anaheim?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A terrible place to have a tourney.I question having it in Columbus this year. I wonder how a WCHA final five in say Chicago or Denver or maybe st Louis would do . I would go but im a core fan.

Much ado about nothing. UMN got the 4th #1 seed by getting help in other games. It would never fall this way for the Sioux, but that's only because Donnie has sold his soul to Satan, not because there is a vast conspiracy for UMN and against the Sioux. As already pointed out, KRACH, which makes the stats weenies slobber, also puts UMN as the last #1. In fact, it puts UW ahead of the Sioux. Also, it's interesting to note that according to KRACH, the top 10 teams in strength of schedule are all in the WCHA. The only criticisms that are valid (maybe I should say unfair) IMHO are that the PWR bonus points should be made public and determined before the season begins, and tourney placements should be made strictly by the resulting PWR. Otherwise bitching about a process everyone has bought into and understands is pointless, again IMHO.

You are not likely to get rid of regionals on somebody's home ice as these have enough problems drawing as is and the NCAA is all about the $. I do predict there will be a 1-year hiatus on allowing on-campus venues, and that will be next year. :lol:

I never count out UMN until they have been eliminated from the tourney. Donnie the soul-seller has had a good track record of late in getting his team to win when it matters most. They have a regional at home against teams not used to playing on their ridiculous frozen ocean. The biggest thing going against them is what all WCHA teams in the tourney will have a problem with: Not being able to play without all the little hooks and holds that enforcement in the other leagues has apparently all but made disappear. The five WCHA teams may spend the first ten minutes of their first game down two men and 5 goals.

As much as I enjoy Patrick Reusse's column, and acknowledge that the Gophers do often get "favoritism" for the reasons stated in his column, the reality is that the Gophers got a number one seed because of the Power ranking system, not some wild conspiracy. What needs to be fixed is the system. As much as I respect the WCHA and believe that it is the superior conference, the power rankings should probably be used only to determine which teams get into the tournament and not for seeding purposes. No one can convince me that the CCHA league and tournament champion (Michigan) is not entitled to a Number 1 seed. I realize that the Gophers beat Michigan earlier in the year, but Michigan has a better record and is clearly playing much better now (which is not uncommon for Michigan to play better as the year progresses). The so-called "objectivity" that the PWR allegedly incorporates is not working if the 3rd place team in the WCHA (4th in the tournament) gets a number 1 seed over the top team in the CCHA.

The WCHA is a much more physical league and it has proven to be a problem in the past in the NCAAs especailly when we get ECAC refs.I get a kick out of all these people not trusting the Gophers i cant remember a year where i felt less confident in my team going in to the NCAAs . :lol:

Which is it, then, Gopher fans? "We deserve a #1 seed" or "we don't have the horses to get to the Frozen Four"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quoteWe dont deserve a number 1 seed IMO . Do we have a the horses to get to the frozen four? Yes but will they ride? I honestly dont know this has been one of the strangest years i have ever witnessed in 35 years of Gopher watching.I think the only only thing that keeps me even a little optimistic is Denver last year. I stuck a fork in them long before the NCAA teams were picked and look what happened. Our conference is so tough that any one of 5 teams can get hot and win it all. The way UND looked this weekend who know maybe not being a favorite this year will work in thier behalf. UND has had me perplexed for most of the year and now they start really playing

I really didn't think UND had a shot three weeks ago and I still think they're a long-shot, but you're correct, Turk, who knows? It has been a strange season. All I know is that in three weeks when the season ends, I'm probably going to jump off of the Robert Street Bridge knowing that's the last hockey we'll be seeing until next October.

As much as I enjoy Patrick Reusse's column, and acknowledge that the Gophers do often get "favoritism" for the reasons stated in his column, the reality is that the Gophers got a number one seed because of the Power ranking system, not some wild conspiracy. What needs to be fixed is the system. As much as I respect the WCHA and believe that it is the superior conference, the power rankings should probably be used only to determine which teams get into the tournament and not for seeding purposes. No one can convince me that the CCHA league and tournament champion (Michigan) is not entitled to a Number 1 seed. I realize that the Gophers beat Michigan earlier in the year, but Michigan has a better record and is clearly playing much better now (which is not uncommon for Michigan to play better as the year progresses). The so-called "objectivity" that the PWR allegedly incorporates is not working if the 3rd place team in the WCHA (4th in the tournament) gets a number 1 seed over the top team in the CCHA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did anyone watch the selection show? There is some subjectivity in determining the seeds. When asked why Mn got the #1 seed over Cornell, the head of the selection committee answered it was by committee vote. PWR the gophers did seem to lock up the #1 seed several weeks ago, but when it comes down to virtually a tie for 4th, wouldn't you side with the team that had a record of 18-1-1 in their last 21 games with an ave goals against of 0.90 goals? The system still has flaws that should be addressed to make it legitimately fair (if that's even possible), but until that happens, let's face it, It's all about money.

And if the 3rd place game didn't mean anything, I wonder where/who the Sioux would have ended up playing in the first round if they lost?

Which is it, then, Gopher fans?  "We deserve a #1 seed" or "we don't have the horses to get to the Frozen Four"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The answer to the first question is that by the current system, yes the Gophers deserve the last #1 seed. If the question really is whether the Gophers are currently anywhere near the fourth best team in the country, then the answer is no.

The Gophers have the horses to get by Maine and Cornell with or without Goligoski or Hirsch. They will have to get the breaks against both teams though. They are not good enough to overcome a couple of post shots or waived off goals. The won't overcome goofy bounces past their goaltender or embarrasing undressing of defensemen in one-on-one battles.

Right now I have to think Cornell is the best team in the regional with OSU/UM/UMaine being very similar.

Sagard, please tell me that isn't a reference to the first goal of the CC game being waived off? If so, find someone who TiVo'd the game and check the replay. I'll tell you one way to not overcome a goal being waived off: Not giving up a goal of your own 40 seconds later! :lol:

I really didn't think UND had a shot three weeks ago and I still think they're a long-shot, but you're correct, Turk, who knows?  It has been a strange season.  All I know is that in three weeks when the season ends, I'm probably going to jump off of the Robert Street Bridge knowing that's the last hockey we'll be seeing until next October.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree and im whizzed the NHL didnt do right by thier fans and settle up.At least ill be in Vegas the night of the NCAA final. Hey that might work in UNDs favor last time i was out of town for a NCAA final it was 2000l i was in Mexico it was sureal i payed this barkeep to keep searching for it and finally he found the game it was funny me and my son and 10 mexican guys standing behind us scratching thier heads asking whats a SOOOO? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did anyone watch the selection show? There is some subjectivity in determining the seeds. When asked why Mn got the #1 seed over Cornell, the head of the selection committee answered it was by committee vote. PWR the gophers did seem to lock up the #1 seed several weeks ago, but when it comes down to virtually a tie for 4th, wouldn't you side with the team that had a record of 18-1-1 in their last 21 games with an ave goals against of 0.90 goals? The system still has flaws that should be addressed to make it legitimately fair (if that's even possible), but until that happens, let's face it, It's all about money.

And if the 3rd place game didn't mean anything, I wonder where/who the Sioux would have ended up playing in the first round if they lost?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The third place game did likely did not have any impact on the Sioux's seeding.

Using this tool you can change game results and re-calculate PWR:

http://slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/2005/rankings.diy.shtml

Changing the result of the Gophs/Sioux game changes nothing for either team. Other than the Gophers enter the tourney with a confidence boost and the Sioux enter wondering about their injuries, instead of vice versa. :lol:

Turk,

That's funny stuff.  Maybe if the announcers had shouted "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL," your new-found friends south of the border may have taken a liking to the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did explain it was sort of like soccer/football on ice.It was something ill never forget. My wife thought i was crazy and it took me awhile but i found the game. It seems to me UND beat BC that game 4-2?

Sagard, please tell me that isn't a reference to the first goal of the CC game being waived off?  If so, find someone who TiVo'd the game and check the replay.  I'll tell you one way to not overcome a goal being waived off:  Not giving up a goal of your own 40 seconds later!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two references on that series. Unlike DU, the Gophers couldn't overcome the waived off goal. DU got stronger, the Gophers folded. Not a compaint over the validity of the call.

Secondly, Peltier and Harrington got walked by dangerous offensive players. They can not afford to allow this to happen this weekend. Take the guy down and kill the penalty, or make the save I guess is an option too.

These kind of things can't happen this weekend if the Gophers are going to advance.