SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol on the radio

PCM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't undertand all this animosity towards basketball. Yes, it's unfortunate that the Sioux can't practice in the Ralph prior to the start of the NCAA's, but it's not like the REA people couldn't have foreseen that this might be a problem back at the time they were bidding on hosting the dII elite 8 a couple of years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The hockey season does not end until mid-April. REA officials shouldn't have put the bid in for an event that would take away from the hockey team's post-season chances. It's BS.

The hockey season does not end until mid-April. REA officials shouldn't have put the bid in for an event that would take away from the hockey team's post-season chances. It's BS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if next year's Hockey regional at the REA will host any B-ball tourneys the same weekend? :0

Maybe I’m lacking a bigger picture view, but is it recognized that UND athletic program traditions (especially hockey, with the banners in the Ralph) will be highlighted on CBS network television this weekend? How many opportunities like this come around? From a viewership standpoint, it is a much bigger deal than the World Juniors.

And what is the hockey team sacrificing? A bus trip to the Gambucci rink (but they still have their Ralph lockerroom). Surely this team, which has shown itself capable of overcoming highly adverse events, can overcome that adversity. When the hockey team had to give up their lockerroom to Team USA and practiced at Gambucci for two whole weeks, did people complain? No, because the World Jr’s only helped UND and UND hockey. Furthermore, the team’s performance didn’t exactly drop off as a result of the change. The same can be said for Saturday’s televised DII championship game. How many times has UND’s seven national title banners been shown on national network TV? My guess is that on Saturday it will happen for the first time. And that cannot hurt Sioux hockey or UND athletics.

Two points and then I’ll clam up: if you complain about the Ralph being used for non-hockey purposes, you forfeit all rights to complain about the Ralph’s pricing increases further. Secondly, during the World Juniors, the basketball teams were forced out of the Betty for two weeks and into the Alerus. Did they complain?

Flame away!!

Saturday @ 1 p.m. on CBS. I think this one game will bring more attention then all the broadcasts of the World Juniors combined. Quite possibly there will only be 1,000 people there, but people are not expecting a huge crowd at a D II championship. It will be interesting to see if they showcase the arena a bit or if they concentrate on the b-ball?

Sure the hockey team has to take a bus across town to practice but they knew that before the season started. They also have to travel to Mass and play in the same arena as B.C. and B.U. What's more troubling??? I don't think the practice problems will effect them, they have enough going on right now and you know what, this is the national tourney. If you can't practice at a nuetral site and still win then you don't deserve to!

BTW:  I agree that if the team can handle the past week, e.g., three games in three days, Robbie's injury, etc.,  with the same determinaton and class they have shown of late, I don't think a 10 minute ride to another barn for practice is going to hurt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not as if the team is being forced to practice on the yellow-tinged ice at University Park. :0

I kind of started all this with the first comment; guess I'll have to take it back, as it probably matters little what standard sized rink they practive on.

My problem with bb in the REA stems from the poor ice, although I have no idea whether installing a buckets court over the ice adds to/or creates the problem. At any rate, they won't be playing on it any longer this year, and, if they can win two games out east, will be back on it practicing next week.

I kind of started all this with the first comment; guess I'll have to take it back, as it probably matters little what standard sized rink they practive on.

My problem with bb in the REA stems from the poor ice, although I have no idea whether installing a buckets court over the ice adds to/or creates the problem. At any rate, they won't be playing on it any longer this year, and, if they can win two games out east, will be back on it practicing next week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem with the hockey rink doesn't stem from playing basketball on it. The problem with the rink is the poor plumbing underneath the concrete(the pipes weren't put in properly)...On a side note, people on here need to quit chewing out REA for putting basketball in the main arena. Everybody who follows basketball understands that we need to have it in the Betty. From what I heard since I work there is that it's all the suite holders that complain because of the money they donate and pay, that they want to be able to see more events and feel entitled to. Thats why the only games played in the Ralph are conference games, none against Mayville St. or Lake Region. The Ralph doesn't want to make those people mad and lose money.

On another note, our arena is being broadcast nationally this weekend for the whole country to see and everyone is complaining about the hockey team being forced to "practice" at a different arena. Granted it's not the best thing in the world, but you can't plan 2 years down the road that the hockey team is even going to be in the NCAA regionals. You gotta take the opportunity to showcase the arena nationally. Instead of all this complaining, the tix for the bball games are cheap and it's the best DII teams in the country. Lets go out and support them and make this university and city look good on TV this weekend.

The problem with the hockey rink doesn't stem from playing basketball on it. The problem with the rink is the poor plumbing underneath the concrete(the pipes weren't put in properly)...On a side note, people on here need to quit chewing out REA for putting basketball in the main arena. Everybody who follows basketball understands that we need to have it in the Betty. From what I heard since I work there is that it's all the suite holders that complain because of the money they donate and pay, that they want to be able to see more events and feel entitled to. Thats why the only games played in the Ralph are conference games, none against Mayville St. or Lake Region. The Ralph doesn't want to make those people mad and lose money.

On another note, our arena is being broadcast nationally this weekend for the whole country to see and everyone is complaining about the hockey team being forced to "practice" at a different arena. Granted it's not the best thing in the world, but you can't plan 2 years down the road that the hockey team is even going to be in the NCAA regionals. You gotta take the opportunity to showcase the arena nationally. Instead of all this complaining, the tix for the bball games are cheap and it's the best DII teams in the country. Lets go out and support them and make this university and city look good on TV this weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so then why all the struggles with recruiting and trying to get the best in the world to come to our school?? we should expect to contend and be there every year.

From today's news, it looks like the Ralph / UND community have established enough goodwill from the World Juniors to be named host for a future event, and this time, it will use the ice, after the hockey season.  :)  ;)  :angry:

2008 World Men