SiouxSports.com Forum

Tonights Game vs. Wisc

COSiouxfan

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game. Great effort. Great fans. Great win. The Final Five is the premier college hockey event in the country. Sure, the Frozen Four must be cool. Ain't ever had the pleasure of being there in person. The Final Five has gotta be right there. Sure, everyone is looking to the NCAAs. Wins and losses aren't generally be all and end alls, unless you play and root for Wisconsin. Maybe.

It's the mix of fans from all the schools. Barking at each other like dogs in the yard. Great fun. Jawing at some Gopher fans in their ugly arse gravy-stained jerseys. This mix of boors gave the same old tired lines about Ralph, Canadians, and their back-to-backs. Of course, we were right back at them with all of the easy trashin' that can be done of most Gopher fans. Fun city. BTW, thanks to YaneA for the cool hats for my girls.

Sioux are rolling. Hope Prpich is ok. I sure would like to see Jake in the nets tomorrow, but that's wishful thinking I suppose.

Awesome win! Man was that a fast paced game. Maybe it was just because I had 3rd row seats for the first time this season, but I was getting worn out just watching it because they were so fast. OK, maybe it was because I had too much beer to drink, but a wins a win. Lets go Sioux!

Genoway was sweet out there.

I almost forgot to mention the comedic moment of the night. Doug Woog had to say Rastislav Spirko's name in the pre-game show and drew a complete blank. Frank had to jump in and rescue him. :lol:

Tonight merely reconfirmed two things for me. It is a league travesty that Genoway wasn't selected as an All-Star. Futhermore, based on his obssesive/compulsive disorder regarding the Sioux Doug Woog wasn't fit to be a DI coach; however, there might be a few suitable DIII openings for him.

Just as Ryan Bayda did as a freshman when he blasted Wisconsin's Jeff Dessner into the boards behind the net early in the 2000 Final Five Championship. What a monster hit! Having Jeff Panzer score a goal 1:35 into the first period didn't hurt, either.

Geez, that might have been the first shift of the game. I distinctly remember that hit, we were very close to it.

Great team play by the Sioux tonite, I thought. Sure, it wasn't always pretty, and there were times that they struggled to clear the zone, or get much offensive flow going, but when one piece of the puzzle wasn't working, something else was.

In the first, they converted on most of the opportunities. Maybe left a couple on the table.

In the second, Parise shut the door when the D struggled.

In the 3rd, though they couldn't get much offensive flow going, and had difficulty clearing the zone for long stretches, there weren't too many chances for the Badgers.

Hope Prp is ok, but it doesn't sound good. I missed it, but from talking to others that saw it, and saw him try to come back on the ice for the next shift, and the fact he disappeared from the bench for the rest of the game, I'm not optimistic we'll see him on the ice tomorrow.

No one has mentioned Smaby, and I think he deserves some recognition for what I think was a fantastic game. Physical and effective.

Greene looked great to me.

Jones was solid.

We've talked about Genoway. Canady was excellent tonite.

Massen was effective too.

As a line the Horsemen were probably our 2nd best, at least 3rd best. Great job keeping Bucky on his heels.

Of course, Parise. What can be said that hasn't been. He was fantastic.

Zajac plays like an upperclassman. I continue to be very impressed watching him.

Minor penalty to fatboy that was sitting just down from us. When we were yelling "Let's Go Sioux" I heard him say "Shut up, we're trying to watch the game". I was waiting for that to be directed more in our direction so I could inform him that I hadn't missed anything yet, even my toes. Nah, I wouldn't say that. Hard to explain the messed up glasses to the wife.

Cudos to O1grad who got some face time on camera. Saw our resident stats expert. Was going to pick up a keychain but the local mafia guy was busy making deals on his cell phone. Maybe tomorrow....

jk deserves recognition for calling a Massen goal before game time. Way to go, jk! I'm sure PCM told you to say that, right??

What a great night...

Fun to watch that game. Even if it was on tape. Though I'm watching it again right now on FSNNY.

What impressed me the most tonight was how the entire team moved toward the net to help Parise. There were many times when UW thought they had a pass or nice rebound and there were four Sioux in their way.

The game really slowed through the second and third. Not as much hitting. I'm thinking we started laying back a touch to save ourselves. Plus, UW finally got their I'm-going-to-try-and-wreck-college-hockey-just-like-the-NHL style of play. Yuck.

Parise. Wow. The saves he were making were unbelievable. It wasn't luck. He was really seeing the puck. Though I guess UW couldn't seem to lift the puck high enough, but maybe Parise was out of the net far enough and he got the glove up. I still think he gets down a little too early, but worked to his advantage tonight when he had to stick the other leg out.

Can't wait for tomorrow! :lol:

I thought we did pressure the net very well last night, but we didn't dictate play. THat's why our D was the star of the game. Jordy was really tested. Something that, some could argue, didn't happen so much against UMD.

In any case, and more seriously, what's the deal with Prpich? Is he going to play today? If not, will it be Bina taking the spot on the 4th line and Radke playing D?

Ah but did you not agree that Zajac belongs on the RC AS team because he is the complete package. 

Not exactly. I said that Joe Pavelski and Paul Stastny clearly belonged on the WCHA all-rookie team, which meant that only Spirko or Zajac could make it. I said that Spirko has been more consistent offensively while Zajac has been the better two-way player. Zajac probably got the honor because of greater name recognition.

I like Genoway a lot. Right now, he's playing with great fire and determination. But the awards are based on the entire season, not the end of the season. Genoway had a pretty good season, and now he's stepped it up a level. Unfortunately, the awards aren't retroactive.

I would counter that while others may have tallied a few more points than Colby that they are not as complete a package and not as important to their team.
Again, there are 16 forwards in the WCHA with more points than Genoway, even when his stats from Thursday night are included. While he might be your sentimental favorite, I don't know how you can justify him leapfrogging over 10 other players to make the All-WCHA team.

In fact I am left with the impression that some of the selections were awarded just because certain members were seniors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt that a player being a senior has much to do with it. Plus, there are only two seniors among the nine forwards seleted. Which one of them would you pull off and replace with Genoway?

if the rest of the games are officialted like last nights, there will be LOTS of guys getting hurt....Andserson watched lots happen and let it go...I remember seeing a full round house to back of someones head after the whislt and a few checks form behind....

Congrats on your win over the dirty, dirty BADgers, and good luck today, you'll need it against a team that has a real D like Denver...

WPoS

Congrats on your win over the dirty, dirty BADgers, and good luck today, you'll need it against a team that has a real D like Denver...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A "real D"?

Wisconsin has the top defense in the WCHA, allowing 2.29 goals per game and is 7th nationally at 2.17. Denver is fifth in the league at 2.89 and 22nd nationally at 2.73. The second best "real D" in the tournament is Colorado College.

A "real D"?

Wisconsin has the top defense in the WCHA, allowing 2.29 goals per game and is 7th nationally at 2.17. Denver is fifth in the league at 2.89 and 22nd nationally at 2.73. The second best "real D" in the tournament is Colorado College.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You forgot this came from a Goopher fan - they only talk about "offensive defensemen", which Denver has two of the best in the WCHA. :lol:

In the first period, we really laid the body on Wisconsin. They did some too, but I think it slowed them down a bit.

One more tip of the cap to BRADY MURRAY for sheer fearlessness. Just like UMD did, WI was bumping checking hitting him every chance they got but he still stuck his nose in and took a bunch of hits ... I cringed everytime it happened, but thankfully he didn't.

Murray-Zajac had a number of close miss chances last night.

Overall tho, I think we got lucky that Wisconsin couldn't finish. Lot of times where a guy was open in front of the net or had a potential break and the puck bounced over a stick or the pass was off. Better-scoring teams (any of the other 3 left) will more likely make us pay.

On the SHG, I kept waiting for Fuher to just haul the Badger dude down, but he didn't. A little surprised he didnt, what with a 2-goal lead, us on a PP, and WI not very effective on the PP.

Effort was outstanding, guys really moved their feet well. And the whole lineup played, which should help us with legs today.

With the win last night, it may be mathematically impossible for us NOT to make the NCAA's, so I wouldn't mind if the coaches take the opportunity to rest some guys who are dinged ...

You forgot this came from a Goopher fan - they only talk about "offensive defensemen", which Denver has two of the best in the WCHA.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. In Woog's world, the only "real D-men" are "O/D-men" with easy to pronounce names. :lol:;)

On the SHG, I kept waiting for Fuher to just haul the Badger dude down, but he didn't. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tim Hennessy made the same comment. It seemed like the safe thing to do, but maybe the players have so much confidence in Parise that Fuher thought he'd make the stop.

Does everyone realize that this was the first short-handed goal the Sioux have given up all season?

I said that Spirko has been more consistent offensively while Zajac has been the better two-way player. Zajac probably got the honor because of greater name recognition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that is fair to Zajac when you say that. Spirko had a really good year and had to have fallen just short of making the team, but Zajac had just as good of year and his play in all areas of the game are what really impressed me. Obviously his name recognition didn't hurt him, but saying that is why he was on the team and not Sparky is not fair to Zajac.

I don't think that is fair to Zajac when you say that.  Spirko had a really good year and had to have fallen just short of making the team, but Zajac had just as good of year and his play in all areas of the game are what really impressed me.  Obviously his name recognition didn't hurt him, but saying that is why he was on the team and not Sparky is not fair to Zajac.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, let me say it this way. I think either of them could have been on the WCHA all-rookie team. If Spirko would have been selected over Zajac, it wouldn't have bothered me one bit. They both deserved the honor, but only one of them could get it.

I'm not saying that Zajac deserved it more than Spirko. I am saying that between Zajac being pickd as the pre-season WCHA rookie of the year and his status as a No. 1 NHL draft pick, he probably had greater name recognition. And in the mind of those voting, that was enough to give him an edge over Spirko in the voting.

You're right. In Woog's world, the only "real D-men" are "O/D-men" with easy to pronounce names. :lol:;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunate that Woog did not attempt to pronounce Rastislav in the pregame. I would have liked to hear the "real" pronunciation.

Announcer moment of the night. After a shift in which the Sioux had the puck in the Wisco end for the entire shift, up until a whistle and faceoff in the Wisco end, Frank talks about how Minnesota had dominated play and the Sioux's only chances were goals on an odd man rush. Classic.

Unfortunate that Woog did not attempt to pronounce Rastislav in the pregame. I would have liked to hear the "real" pronunciation.

Me too! :lol: I was holding my breath waiting for Woog's pronounciation, but he wouldn't even try to say it.

Announcer moment of the night. After a shift in which the Sioux had the puck in the Wisco end for the entire shift, up until a whistle and faceoff in the Wisco end, Frank talks about how Minnesota had dominated play and the Sioux's only chances were goals on an odd man rush. Classic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I listened to Hennessy for most of the game. Did Frank really say "Minnesota," or was that a typo by you? :D