SiouxSports.com Forum

Stat of the Season

The Sicatoka

This season, when UND gets two or more goals in a game from seniors they are 10-1-0. (The loss was 3-2 to CC at REA with McMahon getting both goals for UND.)

If the seniors don't chip in two or more they are 8-12-5.

Final ride boys. How do you want to go out?

How does this statistic compare to games lost or won when UND actually got two or more goals...regardless of who scored them? I agree that the team needs leadership from the more experienced, but at this point I'd be equally thrilled with a goal by a freshman as compared to a goal by a senior.

By my count, the Sioux are 18-8-4 (excluding the Manitoba exhibition game) when scoring 2 or more goals, regardless of who scores them. Another interesting stat is that UND's wins have all come in games when they have scored 2 or more goals. They are 0-5-1 when scoring less than two goals.

The magic "two or more goals" point:

Make it: 18-8-4

Miss it: 0-5-1

Of the "make it" sub-group:

If seniors get two or more: 10-1-0

If seniors get less than two: 8-7-4

It still is pointing at when the seniors show up.

If the Senior Big Games statistic is worthy of a wow, then doing the same exercise with the sophomores should reveal that games where they score two or more will result in a very disappointing record.

Senior Big Games: 10-1-0 (Seniors are eight skaters who make up 34% of team goal-scoring)

Sophomore Big Games: 6-2-1 (Sophs are seven skaters who make up 30% of team goal-scoring)

Of course we're going to get a nice-looking record: You're looking only using games where a specific group of eight skaters scored two goals, meaning that most games where the team scored exactly two goals are also being thrown out. (Sioux are 2-5-2 when they score exactly two.) The average number of goals in the Sophomore Big Games is 3.67.

Yeah, 10-1-0 is better than 6-2-1, but they're not that dissimilar; choose your own reaction but this exercise tempers my amazement. Any time you take a chunk of eight skaters who total 1/3 of the goals on a .500 team, you're going to get a record that is significantly over .500.

What the hell, let's try it on Duluth:

UMD Senior Big Games: 13-3-3 (Senior class is 11 skaters who make up 63% of team goal-scoring)

UMD JR-SO Big Games: 4-2-0 (JR-SO classes are seven skaters who make up 25% of team goal-scoring)

Not sure what this adds to the figures thrown out but:

for the senior class 7 out of 8 players have skated in 30 or more games this year (BC 27, NF 34, QF 36, CG 35, MJ 36, JM 32, RM 33, AS 33)

while for the soph class 3 out of 7 players have skated in 30 or more games this year (RB 28, EF 18, SF 7, BM 21, CP 36, DS 33, MS 35)

It is nice to have BM back in the lineup.

Not sure what this adds to the figures thrown out but:

for the senior class 7 out of 8 players have skated in 30 or more games this year (BC 27, NF 34, QF 36, CG 35, MJ 36, JM 32, RM 33, AS 33)

while for the soph class 3 out of 7 players have skated in 30 or more games this year (RB 28, EF 18, SF 7, BM 21, CP 36, DS 33, MS 35)

It is nice to have BM back in the lineup.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doh, I left my Sioux decoder ring at home.

Doh, I left my Sioux decoder ring at home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe this'll help

BC-Bristish Columbia

NF-New Foundland

QF-Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman

CG- Complete Game (baseball stat)

MJ-Micael Jordan (transfer from NC)

JM-James Massen (drew blank)

RM-isn't that a band? (sorry-REM)

AS-All Square (golf score)

RB-Ryan Bayda

EFI-Electronic Fuel Injected

SF-San Fransisco

BM-Bench Mark (surveying term)

CP- Cold Pizza (espn show)

DS-Dumb s&!t (me for doing this)

MS-Multiiple Sclerosis (isn't that the telethon with jerry's kids?)

sorry for making you read this. Brain cells regenerate after time, so if you have become dumber, don't worry, they will come back. :lol::lol:

Correct me if I am wrong, but are these stats correct for Fylling, Canady, Massen

Fylling 35gp 10 pts

Massen 32gp 4 pts

Canady 27gp 3 pts

Those are three seniors who all have got significant playing time this year. It is no wonder that the Sioux are struggling for a national tourney spot.

On the bright side, Rory Mcmahon has been solid.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are these stats correct for Fylling, Canady, Massen

Fylling  35gp  10 pts

Massen  32gp  4 pts

Canady  27gp  3 pts

Those are three seniors who all have got significant playing time this year.  It is no wonder that the Sioux are struggling for a national tourney spot. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Side note: What is with Fylling missing open nets this year? He had the keeper out of the picture Saturday in St. Cloud and shot it wide (missed by alot).

Fylling  35gp  10 pts

Massen  32gp  4 pts

Canady  27gp  3 pts

Those are three seniors who all have got significant playing time this year.  It is no wonder that the Sioux are struggling for a national tourney spot. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is correct and compared to their previous years stats in order to fully appreciate that these individuals took one heck of a step backwards. Fortunately for us we are playing a team in the Dogs with the same problem, players such as Caig. So whose underachieving seniors want this weekend more. Answer that question and you can bet money on the outcome.

I suppose next you're going to be bringing TOC into the mix. :D

Now I have visions of blue topping running threw my head. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you wanna come back and blue top, we have 3 miles of runway at the airbase to do five or six times, 150 feet wide, 50 ft stations. we're hiring and could use you. :lol: