SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Coach's Show

forecheck

Tim is proud of his Scooby Doo bandaid that he is sporting, because of a knuckle he injured on the hockey bus. LOL

Matt Greene is the only right-handed defenseman on the team. It doesn't bother Blais, but it bothers Hakstol and Berry.

Someone called in asking about DQ's, Blais's opinion on fighting, and his opinion on announcer's fighting. Apparently, the guy who wanted to fight Tim said, "This always happens with these "blanks." when the fight broke out in the 2nd period, and Tim replied rather sarcastically about how the Sioux are dirty players, and laughed. That got the second guy riled up, who was calling Tim out. Blais thinks that by not allowing fighting, there are more cheap shots. Parise and some other talented players aren't that big, and we need bigger players who are going to protect them. Blais doesn't mind what Rory did. Taylor is a classy coach, and he didn't send anyone out to make any illegal hits or go after any certain guy. The new thing with our team is, any altercations, the guys who aren't in it, come to the bench. Blais didn't blame Ryan Hale for going after the guy who pushed Siembida, though, because it builds team unity. You have to back each other up. Fuher is the player being left behind because we need 12 forwards, and Marvin will step up to forward Friday night, and they'll play with 5 defensemen. It's too bad because Fuher has been playing well, but someone has to stay back. Blais is happy that other players besides the top line stepped up to score, and mentioned that on Friday, Notermann made a comment "Isn't anyone else going to score?", then he went out and scored two goals on Saturday.

Craig Dahl interview: Some of the best games SCSU played last year was against UND, they were hitting on all cylinders. Last year was last year, this year is this year. SCSU doesn't have Hartigan this year, who was good for one or 2 each game. Dahl doesn't care who our team is playing, for a freshman (Parise) to score 20 points in 6 games is phenomenal. SCSU is riddled with injuries, and has been playing without 4 of their top 6 d-men. They've been playing 8-10 freshmen, which gives them experience, but it's difficult. They haven't been able to build any consistency or continuity in the lineup. Cullen and Malone are in the lineup for this weekend. SCSU's powerplay has not been good this year, unlike the last few years. Finger hasn't been playing as aggressive as usual, but his casts are starting to feel comfortable, and he was playing more physical last weekend, making a good hit at center ice. The game has been sold out for a month. SCSU's fans don't care if they win a game all year, as long as they beat MN, but if SCSU can't win it, the fans hope the Sioux win it. There is a lot of respect for the Sioux program. This league is so tough, and there seems to be a lot of really good teams, but no stand out teams. They think Eaves is going to do a good job with the discipline on Wisconsin's team. Tim asked who Dahl he was going to have draped all over Parise, and Dahl says he doesn't think there are many people who can cover him. It's not just Parise, though, Bochenski can also "fire those rocks." Blais thought SCSU was the best team in the country last year, and probably could have won it all last year if not for a bad break and disappointing loss in the NCAA's.

Siembida played pretty well last weekend, and it's up to him to continue playing well and get in there. I wasn't sure if that meant Siembida would be starting Friday, though, or not.

Blais hopes there won't be any mean fans sitting behind the bench like last year. They kind of got into it with the fans. :D

We have four starters out for Friday, but it sounds like SCSU is no better off than the Sioux as far as players sitting out. Blais said even if our top line had been kicked out of the game against Yale, we still would have won the game. Coach got that feeling as soon as that fight happened, that we would win.

Thanks forecheck - I hate to miss "hearing" the coaches show, so really appreciate your shorthand/notes.

This morning on the radio Tim and Swyg were discussing how players position their hands (right handed folkes vs. left handed folkes)..... they commented that, generally speaking, Canadians position their hands in a manner in which "less informed" spectators would assume they are left handed, when in fact they probably are right handed or vice versa..... something to that effect......

Anyways, that started me thinking..........seeing as there are many "new, casual" fans at the REA, I was wondering why they don't have Katie do something like "Fine Points of the Game" and have some players/or coaches (taped) demonstrate different "things". (I don't mean to imply that this would be better than what she currently does pre-game/during the game - it'd just be something different....... some of those "skits" don't seem to go over too well with the crowd)

plus........... fans "know" the players as in regards to how they play, but I have a greater appreciation, say for Brian Canady since his interview that Katie did a couple weeks ago, not only is he a good/tough/tenacious player, but he has pretty good wit.....

who knows ,that may be a lot to ask since the team already has school work, practice, travel and games to focus on, and so doing "spots" might be just one thing too much, but you'd think with some of the alums of the program in the area (T. Howard, G. Paranica, C. Perry, J. Panzer, heck maybe Katie's dad T. O'Keefe would do it - that'd be a nice family touch) maybe one or more could be coaxed into volunteering to instruct the fans......

excuse my ramblings.....

Wish I could take credit but...... watching the Badgers on 642 you'll see their new coach Mike Eaves doing some of this stuff -- good p.r. stuff as, even though Coach Eaves is a former Badger, a lot of the new Wis fans may not remember him too well, so it's an easy format to "introduce" the new coach to the fan base while giving the (casual) fan some pointers ....

Early 20s. She's doing pre-game and period break "Inside the Game" segments plus MC-ing on-ice stuff like the NW Airlines ticket shot.

Her microphone presence is poor. She yells (let the microphone and the PA do the work, please) and her voice, in my seldom humble opinion, is too high for PA work. (You need that low, bass PA voice in a big arena. See Scott Hennen.)

I don't think she preps any notes (for her live shots) before the game nor does she pre-read anything she'll be doing (like the NWA ticket game, etc).

I think the best she's ever done is the Canady interview, and Brian carried 90% of that.

As a person who was sitting behind me last year said, "Boy, is she ever blonde." :D

OK, that may have been harsh but I feel better. :0

Something like the NHL's "Hockey Rules" would be good.

I spent a period explaining icing to a couple of "our neighbors gave us these tickets and we've never seen hockey before" one night. When I looked up it was 2-0 Niagara! :0

With all of the "new fans" in The Ralph, it couldn't hurt.

U2Bad1: I've sat upper and lower decks. I prefer the upper. Better sound (no problems for me) and a better view of the Daktronics boards. However, if I were still an "energetic" student, the lower would be more fun. :0

Katie O'Keefe is terrible. She is just annoying and I can not stand her. She is just eye candy and is very bad at that. They need someone who has the slightest clue of what is going on around them. I don't come to games to listen to her babble and I like U2 can't understand anything she says anyways. Maybe its better that way, though.

PS. They need to go back to last years laser light show. This years is terrible. Wow look they can make a freaking dot on the ice. Hey, I could go to Spencers and buy a $10 light machine that could do that too! Impress me please or don't do it at all. Bring back The Skater!!!!

Katie is a law student at UND and I believe did an internship in washington last summer. Although nice to look at I agree with a few of the other posters, maybe we can get her to move on and we can find a hockey mind to do the on ice interviews...

They have clips between periods to educate the fans on the tv broadcasts with Dave Hakstol. Why don't they just use them at the games too? It makes sense.

Last year, for each game that was on tv, there was one interview of a player with John Bernstrom. Although I don't care to listen to Bernstrom, I still liked watching the inteviews. And at the games, they would usually show a pre-recorded interview of players with Katie. I don't know why they stopped doing that. They have something good, and they get rid of it.

And I agree with Diggler, last year's laser show was much better.

(By the sound of it, you wouldn't think any of us go to watch hockey anymore! :D:0 )

I agree with much of what has been said (Katie, PA, etc.) Also along the lines of improving the between period spots I have been wondering if there is a way to submit ideas for games, spots, etc.

I would love to see a head to head competition where contestants can go head to head shooting stuffed animals (such as gophers) at the nets. You could have teams--one person shooting and one in nets to pass the animal back. team with the most (gophers) in the net in a certain time limit wins. It would work well for most opponents. shoot the gophers, hit the huskies, etc.

The guys doing the women's hockey spots are pretty good--slightly juvenile but have good presence and the contests are better.

Laser light show was much better last year. They have the ability to put images on the ice ( like the logos of WCHA teams) I'm at a loss as to why they don't use it for anything other than the Sioux logo.

I spent a period explaining icing to a couple of "our neighbors gave us these tickets and we've never seen hockey before" one night.

It was probably my aunt & uncle they have 10 kids and don't get out much :D

The only possible reason I can come up with (on why they don't have an "instruction" video during the period breaks) is that there are a number of advertisments which they have to show during the period break, so to keep the audience involved they interject live/on ice stuff with Katie, otherwise the whole period break would be spent watching the jumbo screen.

Back to Sica's comment about Katie's Brian Canady interview: Brian did carry 90% (or more of the interview), but Katie also talked "normally", more of a conversational flow and her voice didn't go to that higher pitch that it hits quite often. During that interview you could focus on Brian (which is the point of an interview) rather than thinking to yourself "simmer dahwn nahw" with the pitch, please...

All I know is that I wouldn't want to do it - so kudos to her for having the guts to go out there......some of the stuff they've had her do, yikes, no way would I want to subject myself to it.

U2- were you the skinny or, er....not- so- skinny guy out there? nice modeling skills anyway you slice it :0 also, answer this for me..... with you being a student and educated hockey fan, are the students disenchanted with the new building?:D it seems like i didn't see as many rowdy, jersey-clad sioux students for the niagara series. although, it's not like wisco or goofers were in town. GO SIOUX

U2-  were you the skinny or, er....not- so- skinny guy out there?   nice modeling skills anyway you slice it  :0  also, answer this for me.....  with you being a student and educated hockey fan, are the students disenchanted with the new building?:D  it seems like i didn't see as many rowdy, jersey-clad sioux students for the niagara series.  although, it's not like wisco or goofers were in town.  GO SIOUX

"Not-so skinny"

I think a more calmed down student section is a trend that even started in the last year of the old building. Maybe the traditions of the past student sections haven't been passed on very well to the old student sections. Just for the record, i am an extremely laid back person at times so it's hard for me to get realllly "Rowdy" , but i do have the modeling skills :0

...but i do have the modeling skills :D

Cue the music...

'Cause I'm a model, you know what I mean

And I do my little turn on the catwalk

Yeah, on the catwalk, yeah, on the catwalk, yeah

I shake my little touche on the catwalk

Last year the student section was pretty much told to sit down and shut up after the CC series. That wasn't very condusive to being loud and getting on the opponent and most importantly having fun. Last year wasn't alot of fun.

Not being able to yell at the players during warm ups, due to constant loud music doesn't help. Neither does the higher glass. It was great at the old arena as you could stand on the bench and yell over the glass. You just had to be careful not to get smacked in the face with the pucks being flinged at you. :0 Having students who are just there to be seen doesn't help either. When you try doing something and half the section is too busy talking on their cellphones, it probably isn't going to work. :D

There are still the occasional loud times (like the two SH goals by Notes and Spie) and I think there might actually be many more this year as there don't seem to be many non-students who are complaining about what the students are doing. Last year it felt like if we did anything, we'd get in trouble for ruining the game for others. This year it doesn't feel like it is going to be that way. The newness of the arena isn't there anymore and people don't seem so grumpy about things. Top that off with this years team looking much better so far and it will probably be louder. It was kinda tough to cheer and be excited at times last year.

kr:

I think she actually prepared for that interview. That's why I it may have been her best. (And Brian Canady being a good interviewee sure didn't hurt.)

Her voice goes to that higher squeak (that is horrible over a PA) when she is flustered or trying to go too quickly. Those things show a lack of preparation.

She needs to realize that the arena around her may be loud, but she has a microphone. She can talk normally to it. She doesn't have to semi-yell like you or I would talking directly to each other.

I'd volunteer, but as someone told me once, I have a face for radio. :D

Hrkac, the student section really varies. I thought we were really loud when we gave Gravelese (the HE ref) a hard time against Niagara, but for the most part during the game, it isn't as rowdy as it used to be. I think a lot of it has to do with what Diggler was talking about, and some of it also may be the size of the arena. In the old Engelstad, the students made up a large part of the crowd, and the arena was smaller, so it sounded a lot louder. In the new arena, the students are split, half in the lower bowl, and half in the upper bowl where you can't really yell at the players or anyone, because it's tamer up there and no one can hear you. Plus, and this is my opionion, I think the "Green Hairem" is cheesy, and the students seem divided between what you would call the rowdy students, and the Green Hairem and their followers. And what is with the Sioux Crew roping off the first few rows by the glass for Sioux Crew members? Leave those seats for the students who freeze their asses off for an hour and a half outside! The new rules in the new arena suck.

One thing that impressed me this weekend about SCSU was that the ENTIRE crowd did the cheers, mainly the sieve cheer. If UND could actually come up with a good, original sieve cheer, and the rest of the crowd (non-students) would sieve along, it would look much more impressive. Right now, it's pathetic.