SiouxSports.com Forum

New Rival...

TinyTimmay

Since the Sioux aren't playing NDSU in football or anything for that matter, who would you consider your new rival ? Down here in Bison country, NDSU is pushing for a new rivalry with SDSU. Definitely not the same, we have no hatred involved here, and I assume it's the same for the Sioux with their new "rival", if you have one. I mean, we're trying to win a landmark trophy every year in the annual Bunnies vs Bison football game, wow, get's me really excited :blush: . Nothing like seeing the players hoisting a big nickel over their heads after the game, now that was a trophy.

I'd say UNO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UNO is probably the biggest rival in-conference, but Grand Valley State games the past few years have been the best by far. I don't think anyone has yet to replace the Bison, however.

UNO is probably the biggest rival in-conference, but Grand Valley State games the past few years have been the best by far.  I don't think anyone has yet to replace the Bison, however.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I agree that the games with GVSU have been terrific, it's a bit difficult to establish a rivalry with a team that you meet on occasion in the playoffs. And I'm not saying that UND's rivalry with UNO comes anywhere near the one it had with NDSU, but it's probably the closest at this point and is likely to remain so as long as both schools are in the NCC.

I see UNO and SCSU as being the two biggest rivals for the Sioux in the NCC. SCSU is probably more of a friendly rivalry considering the mutual respect between the coaching staffs, whereas the rivalry with UNO is probably more bitter, at least so long as Behrnsy is coaching there.

I see UNO and SCSU as being the two biggest rivals for the Sioux in the NCC. SCSU is probably more of a friendly rivalry considering the mutual respect between the coaching staffs, whereas the rivalry with UNO is probably more bitter, at least so long as Behrnsy is coaching there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought about SCSU, too, but I also think there's too much mutual respect for an intense rivalry to develop. Plus, it seems like for the past 10 years or more, UND and UNO have played key games against each other that help determine the NCC championship. SCSU may eventually be the same way, but right now, it doesn't have a tradition of being an NCC powerhouse.

It is kind of hard to think of anyone in the NCC as real rivals. I am kind of suprised that UND and USD haven't tried to get something going similar to what NDSU and SDSU did this year. Although the 'SUs needed something to try create some buzz these next few years, UND and USD don't really need that. Didn't UND and USD used to be a pretty big rivalry and they used to play for the Sitting Bull trophy or something like that?

It is kind of hard to think of anyone in the NCC as real rivals. I am kind of suprised that UND and USD haven't tried to get something going similar to what NDSU and SDSU did this year. Although the 'SUs needed something to try create some buzz these next few years, UND and USD don't really need that. Didn't UND and USD used to be a pretty big rivalry and they used to play for the Sitting Bull trophy or something like that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

USD's program hasn't really been strong lately, so it is hard to develop a rivalry with someone, when there isn't a lot of big games being played between the two schools. Fans get more geared up for games against UNO than USD.

Unlike the Bison, the Sioux have no need to try and create a rivalry.

Isn't Duluth our football rivalry???

Why else would the athletic department charge $2 extra to see them instead of any other football team we play?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't it $11 extra to see the Bison :blush:

I know USD hasn't been competative in the last decades! I also know that UND charged extra for the Duluth game but unless I am mistaken that was HOMECOMING. I was asking, didn't UND/USD used to be a big rivalry DECADES ago and used to play for the Sitting Bull Trophy unless I am mistaken. I know UND and USD hasn't been extremely competative. I was just asking. Was this not a RIVALRY YEARS and YEARA ago?

Wasn't it $11 extra to see the Bison :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NDSU must have thought this was a pretty good idea since I see they charged more for their recent home basketball games with SDSU than any other home game this year. I wouldn't be surprised if you see the same for the football game against them next season.

I know USD hasn't been competative in the last decades! I also know that UND charged extra for the Duluth game but unless I am mistaken that was HOMECOMING. I was asking, didn't UND/USD used to be a big rivalry DECADES ago and used to play for the Sitting Bull Trophy unless I am mistaken. I know UND and USD hasn't been extremely competative. I was just asking. Was this not a RIVALRY YEARS and YEARA ago?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they did play for the Sitting Bull trophy.

so because they played for the sitting bull trophy years ago we should make them our rival?

NDSU must have thought this was a pretty good idea since I see they charged more for their recent home basketball games with SDSU than any other home game this year. I wouldn't be surprised if you see the same for the football game against them next season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point being, $2 extra for a game vs $11 extra for a game. Which is more of a rivalry?

My point being, $2 extra for a game vs $11 extra for a game. Which is more of a rivalry?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your point is that UND-NDSU was a much bigger rivalry than either school currently has, I completely agree and I doubt anybody would dispute that.

The $11 extra charge was because UND knew they could get those idiots from Fargo to pay that price for the single-game tickets. :D:lol:;) The UND season ticket holders price stayed the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean the UND season ticket holders (hockey) that are forced to purchase football tickets? Not the other UND fans that had to shell out the extra $11.00 to pay for womens hockey. :0;)

The $11 extra charge was because UND knew they could get those idiots from Fargo to pay that price for the single-game tickets. :huh:  :)  :lol: The UND season ticket holders price stayed the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a couple questions about your response TS.

How many UND fans live in Fargo? ;)

How many season tickets does UND sell for football? ;)