SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts on the Sioux Badger Series

JMissile

I just wanted to get some thoughts on the games this weekend as if there werent enough flying around out there already...

I definetly think UND has to bring their "A" game as always, however, I think this weekend plays a huge role in how the post season plays out, this series will set the attitude. The sioux need to come out strong from the beginning and at all costs score the first goal...on top of that, play a very physical game as WI has its big hitters that like to rough up opponents. Other than that, I think UNDs "finesse" players need to shine and put the biscut in the basket....

i would express my thoughts but i say the same stuff every weekend..just win!!!!!!! play sioux hockey (not sure what that is at this point) but it sure does sound good. oh yeah..score some goals...

to be serious i want to watch them just fly around, open the ice up and get on top early. 1 more thing, when we score lets try not to let the badgers score within the next 2 minutes..

sioux sweep :silly::D

4-3 (phil)

5-3 (jake)

i would express my thoughts but i say the same stuff every weekend..just win!!!!!!! play sioux hockey (not sure what that is at this point) but it sure does sound good. oh yeah..score some goals...

to be serious i want to watch them just fly around, open the ice up and get on top early. 1 more thing, when we score lets try not to let the badgers score within the next 2 minutes..

sioux sweep  :silly:  :D 

4-3

5-3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree...play their game...open up the ice...bring out the brooms! SWEEP

It's going to be a fine February weekend in Grand Forks. With the high school hockey tournament in town, not to mention the hated Badgers from Red China, er, I mean Madison, Wisconsin, The Ralph will be busting at the seams. Hardly a ticket to be had. The Sioux will somehow chance one in early on Saturday even less than a minute in, and the building will explode. Even the men and women who are there to be seen, not to see. Well, I guess that might be asking a bit much. Besides, they won't even be in their seats by then.

From there on in, the Sioux will play, by and large, large stretches of hard, crisp hockey. Parise will probably play Friday afternoon, and barely hang in there, giving up four or five. Thankfully, the here sometimes much maligned Seniors will make sure that the Sioux have at least five or six. I'll take three lady friends to The Moon to celebrate. Maybe get something to eat to boot. Spends 'spon how many barley pops I've then in me.

Red River beats Central 3-2 in eight overtimes that evening.

Sunday, Brandt starts the Bus to Columbus, stops 36 or so shots from the Red Menace, and the Sioux win 2-1.

These are my thoughts. Sioux. Genoway. Fylling. Canady. Massen. McMahon. Making the passes and lighting the lamps.

Jones. Schneider. Fuher. Riding the attackers. Clearing the lanes. Breaking it out. Scoring on the slappers even.

And of course, Jake. Jake Brandt. Driving the Bus to Columbus. Brandt is driving the Bus. All aboard!!

Brandt driving the bus to Columbus??? Simmer down a bit....I think were jumpin the gun here...this is the WCHA, no one just fires up the bus and takes off, and I'm sorry but Jake Brandt isnt getting my votes for one of the Fighting Sioux's star players, if the Sioux travel the road to Columbus, Lamoreaux and Parise will be the ones to carry them....no discredit to the rest of the Sioux, but so many people rely soley on goaltenders...when in reality...its much more then that, I said it once, and I'll say it again...finesse players, passing, sound defense, and solid offensive systems will win hockey games for the Fighting Sioux.

It's going to be a fine February weekend in Grand Forks.  With the high school hockey tournament in town, not to mention the hated Badgers from Red China, er, I mean Madison, Wisconsin, The Ralph will be busting at the seams.  Hardly a ticket to be had.  The Sioux will somehow chance one in early on Saturday even less than a minute in, and the building will explode.  Even the men and women who are there to be seen, not to see.  Well, I guess that might be asking a bit much.  Besides, they won't even be in their seats by then.

From there on in,  the Sioux will play, by and large, large stretches of hard, crisp hockey.  Parise will probably play Friday afternoon, and barely hang in there, giving up four or five.  Thankfully, the  here sometimes much maligned Seniors will make sure that the Sioux have at least five or six.  I'll take three lady friends to The  Moon to celebrate.  Maybe  get something to eat to boot.  Spends 'spon how many barley pops I've then in me.

Red River beats Central 3-2 in eight overtimes that evening.

Sunday, Brandt starts the Bus to Columbus, stops 36 or so shots from the Red Menace, and the Sioux win 2-1.

These are my thoughts.  Sioux.    Genoway.  Fylling.  Canady.  Massen.  McMahon.  Making the passes and lighting the lamps. 

Jones. Schneider.  Fuher.  Riding the attackers.  Clearing the lanes.  Breaking it out.  Scoring on the slappers even.

And of course, Jake.  Jake Brandt.  Driving the Bus to Columbus.  Brandt is driving the Bus.  All aboard!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:silly:

After reading this post, it seems to me you may have a few too many in you already.

Parise won't be playing Friday afternoon (he isn't in high school) :D maybe Saturday though. :huh:

Good luck shooting the Moon with your three lady friends though. :D

sioux sweep

Edited by Goon

This year a sweep is a stretch, one win and you should be happy.  If you could bring back Jason Blake, Jeff Panzer, and Karl Goerhing - I'd say a sweep is a shoe-in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually one win and possibly a tie would help matter for UND's RPI and Power rankings.

Sioux have to find a way to take at least one this weekend if they have any hope of sneaking into the NCAAs.  I remain hopeful that we may see something out of the senior class if they figure out that they have to play desperate hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The players are saying the right things, however, they need to do it on the ice. If they are swept this weekend. I think they are done as fars as the NCAA goes.

If most of the rest of the team had played as well as Sparky has this year we would be in the top 3. He has been a good player as a freshman. He will be a four year player and should have a real good four years when all is said and done. When Murray comes back I am for putting him on the second line with Genoway and McMahon and keeping Zajac, Stafford and Sparky on the first line. Murray on the second line will balance out those lines. I thought the 4th line played well today also.

If most of the rest of the team had played as well as Sparky has this year we would be in the top 3. He has been a good player as a freshman. He will be a four year player and should have a real good four years when all is said and done. When Murray comes back I am for putting him on the second line with Genoway and McMahon and keeping Zajac, Stafford and Sparky on the first line. Murray on the second line will balance out those lines. I thought the 4th line played well today also.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting of note: I think the top players recently have been Greene, Jones, Zajac, FABIAN, Porter, Spirko, and JORDAN PARISE. Notice the two I capitalized. One is a sometime warrior, the other is a much maligned goaltender.

I think Zajac and Spirko have been the two freshmen with the most impact. I think Radke has been the most underutilized (recently despite good play they've been finding every excuse it seems not to play him). Biggest disappointment has to be Kaip. No, not for his play. but because he played so well while he was healthy and then lost the season to injury.

Interesting of note: I think the top players recently have been Greene, Jones, Zajac, FABIAN, Porter, Spirko, and JORDAN PARISE. Notice the two I capitalized. One is a sometime warrior, the other is a much maligned goaltender.

I think Zajac and Spirko have been the two freshmen with the most impact. I think Radke has been the most underutilized (recently despite good play they've been finding every excuse it seems not to play him). Biggest disappointment has to be Kaip. No, not for his play. but because he played so well while he was healthy and then lost the season to injury.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad we won but what is with the conservative approach once we went up 3-2? It was like there were 5 Sioux defensemen out there for over 10 minutes in the 3rd. I know the Alaska announcers commented on this last Saturday when the roof caved in during the 3rd period and we lost. Just wondering what others think.

We saw that at times in past years too. I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on whether it was a good idea or not. Sometimes though, it does seem that a team that has been attacking and winning changes to a more defensive posture and suddenly the other team starts scoring.