SiouxSports.com Forum

Season Reality Check and the Playoffs

Stack

With 4 games left to go in the regular season the Sioux are now 15th in the Pairwise Rankings. We are 3 games over .500 for the year and 1 game under .500 in the WCHA. We have the worst record of anyone that right now has a chance to make the NCAAs.

What this tracks down to is this: We need to make the WCHA Final Five if we want to be in the NCAA playoffs. Heck we probably need to win at least one game there to make the NCAAs. No excuses anymore.

IMHO we need to win 3 of the next 4 games, beat Duluth in the first round of the playoffs and then beat Minnesota in the playin game at the WCHA Final five to assure a berth in the NCAAs. It's not too late to make this happen. Based upon the Pairwise movements we could even be a Number 2 seed if we could put a string together.

So it starts this weekend against Wisconsin. We need a sweep. I just hope Schneider, Fuher, Jones, McMahon, Massen and Fylling realize they don't have much left of their careers and can step it up late like Lundbohm did last year. I also hope that the fans bring it this weekend. We can be a factor so let's make us a factor in these games. Support this team by screaming your stinking head off at the games. We don't need no Stinking Badgers!!

Wins are all that matters now.

Wins are all that matters now? With all due respect, this team knew that 2-3 weeks ago! I already gave my prediction a while back for the finish and while most people were saying sweep AA, split Wisconsin, and sweep St Cloud, I think I'll wind up right on the money when I said 3-3 at best and most likely 2-4 in the final 6 games of the season. The Sioux are almost at the point that they need to WIN the Final Five just to get in the tournament.

I turned (hopeful) pessimist Saturday night. This was my thought process:

I could forgive the CC series, because by all accounts they played their hearts out and really did deserve about three points. Plus, CC's really good.

I could forgive the Denver series, because the Sioux were undermanned, missing two of their best forwards. Plus, Denver's really good.

I can't forgive Saturday. Saturday was a prime opportunity, delivered up by the hockey gods, to get a sweep, lock up home ice, get on a roll and win four or five of the last six games. So UND was missing two key forwards against Denver? Guess what? UAA was missing FOUR players Saturday. I don't care how scrappy they are and how much heart they played with. If they are that short, you are either playing against bad players (if UAA is playing everyone), or exhausted players (if UAA shortens the bench). Either way, circumstances required that UND dominate the third period and win going away. They obviously didn't. I guess that made me finally abandon my optimism.

I'll still be hopeful, though.

Wow. Guess who didn't have a good game on Saturday? Here are the numbers of the Sioux players on the ice for the UAA goals, all even strength (but the last was an empty-netter):

6, 8 10, 14, 29

6, 8 10, 14, 29

6, 8 10, 14, 29

28, 8 10, 14, 29

8 14, 29, 11, 15, 18

Edit: Didn't quite format like I wanted, and I put it in the wrong thread. I'm playing as well as 6, 8, 10, 14, 29 did.

Here's who was out when UND scored:

15,8,27,18,G34 (SHG by 15)

11,29,15,8,18,G34 (G by 11)

I see three or four seniors on the ice for every non-empty net goal.

I see freshmen and sophomores out at forward when UND scores.

The freshmen scoreth, and the seniors giveth away. ???

Seniors. Leaders, right? Then why did the team elect a junior as captain? What's that alone say about this senior class? ;)

The saving grace is that I see an on-ice leader for next season emerging.

Wow.  Guess who didn't have a good game on Saturday?  Here are the numbers of the Sioux players on the ice for the UAA goals, all even strength (but the last was an empty-netter):

6, 8  10, 14, 29

6, 8  10, 14, 29

6, 8  10, 14, 29

28, 8 10, 14, 29

8            14, 29, 11, 15, 18

Edit: Didn't quite format like I wanted, and I put it in the wrong thread.  I'm playing as well as 6, 8, 10, 14, 29 did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, unbelievable that the same group broke down all those times. A bit senior laden also. (whoops, you guys both type faster than me)

The freshmen scoreth, and the seniors giveth away.  ???

Seniors. Leaders, right? Then why did the team elect a junior as captain? What's that alone say about this senior class?  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With maybe a couple of exceptions, this senior class rode pretty far on ZParise and Money's coat tails. It's showing now, when they should be performing like seniors, instead of 4th liners on some NAHL team. Frankly, I'd like to see how the team would perform if the seniors sat.

I dont think anyone can predict what is going to happen in the coming games for UND. Of course, the Sioux have had their ups and downs this season, cold streaks and hot. HOWEVER, the beauty of the WCHA is how unpredictable it is in post season...I expect to see teams rise to the occasion that no one would ever expect. Maybe one of those teams is the Fighting Sioux.......no guarantees in WCHA hockey, thats what makes it the most dynamic conference in NCAA hockey.

I turned (hopeful) pessimist Saturday night.  This was my thought process: 

I could forgive the CC series, because by all accounts they played their hearts out and really did deserve about three points.  Plus, CC's really good.

I could forgive the Denver series, because the Sioux were undermanned, missing two of their best forwards.  Plus, Denver's really good.

I can't forgive Saturday.  Saturday was a prime opportunity, delivered up by the hockey gods, to get a sweep, lock up home ice, get on a roll and win four or five of the last six games.  So UND was missing two key forwards against Denver?  Guess what?  UAA was missing FOUR players Saturday.  I don't care how scrappy they are and how much heart they played with.  If they are that short, you are either playing against bad players (if UAA is playing everyone), or exhausted players (if UAA shortens the bench).  Either way, circumstances required that UND dominate the third period and win going away.  They obviously didn't.  I guess that made me finally abandon my optimism.

I'll still be hopeful, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you think it's Over?

Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

The way this season has gone so far I would expect that we get swept by Wisconsin and then are lucky to win a game in St. Cloud. But I keep coming back to those CC and Denver games when without the posts we probably win at least 3 of those games. So for now I'm optimistic. I'm going with a sweep of Wisconsin at home to throw the polls into disarray and then probably back to earth with a split in St. Cloud. Hey it could happen. Then we beat Duluth in the playoffs and I get to watch us beat Minnesota at the Final Five. After that I would be happy.

So until we get swept by Wisconsin I'm still expecting the best.

Maybe the just need Brad Berry and Cary Eades to kick their ass a little ???

Wow.  Guess who didn't have a good game on Saturday?  Here are the numbers of the Sioux players on the ice for the UAA goals, all even strength (but the last was an empty-netter):

6, 8  10, 14, 29

6, 8  10, 14, 29

6, 8  10, 14, 29

28, 8 10, 14, 29

8            14, 29, 11, 15, 18

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This looks like a sign from the hockey Gods.....

I'm playing the lottery this weekend. ???