SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at Seawolves

Wreckincrew

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you saying?  That we should give him more of a break than if he would have been hired through after a full blown national search?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm saying that what's done is done. Complaining about the hiring process isn't going to change anything. Further punishing Hakstol for something that wasn't his fault isn't going to improve the situation.

Rather than making the job even more restrictive, maybe what Hakstol really needs is the freedom to run the team the way he wants to. Rather than running the team as the last coach did or as some would-be coaches might, maybe he should be allowed to succeed or fail based on his vision of what the team should be.

I know it's a radical concept, but I'm not sold on the idea that tightening the vice and increasing the magnification of the microscope is going to bring out the best in Hakstol.

Some of us analyzers are getting our ideas from the sudo section 214. HOw else can we tell what the Sioux are doing with no radio, no streaming audio, a black screen webcast, and opponent announcers. Since we can neither see nor hear what is going on, we make it up.

I hate to say it, and I'm ready for the backlash, but I think the UND sports program as a whole is reaping what it is sowing. They are constantly expressing the need for more money and what big business athletics has become. Well, I think fans are expecting more for their buck as well, which means being critical similar to that of pro teams. They can't expect to have their cake and eat it too all of the time. I think right or wrong, in big-business situations, the scrutiny is magnified because there can't afford to be a drop-off for any length of time. It only takes losing a few bluechip recruits to level the playing field for the lower-end teams, especially with how hard they are working now. Any drop-off might chase away a few fair-weather fans, and all of a sudden your income decreases. I would just hope that there is at least a two year grace period the fans have in the transition period, but in big business that isn't always the case.

I hate to say it, and I'm ready for the backlash, but I think the UND sports program as a whole is reaping what it is sowing.  They are constantly expressing the need for more money and what big business athletics has become.  Well,  I think fans are expecting more for their buck as well, which means being critical similar to that of pro teams.  They can't expect to have their cake and eat it too all of the time.  I think right or wrong, in big-business situations, the scrutiny is magnified because there can't afford to be a drop-off for any length of time.  It only takes losing a few bluechip recruits to level the playing field for the lower-end teams, especially with how hard they are working now.  Any drop-off might chase away a few fair-weather fans, and all of a sudden your income decreases.  I would just hope that there is at least a two year grace period the fans have in the transition period, but in big business that isn't always the case.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No backlash from me as I have been thinking the same thing. Recall Sagards post that Woog likely lost his job because Blais set the performance bar too high. Perhaps too many fans have come to expect that high bar to be the norm every year.

Perhaps too many fans have come to expect that high bar to be the norm every year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's called tradition, and yes, I'd say most Sioux fans expect excellence all the time. To expect less would be to fall to the level of JBSU or the LandCows. Doesn't that explain all the 7>4 sig lines and the constant bickering between us Sioux fans and the POI crowd? It's not because we hate Gopher fans (well most of them, anyway :silly: ). Fans of both programs start every season with a goal of raising another banner.

This team has the best facility in the college game; at least a fighting chance of recruiting the best young athletes in North America. Of course we expect the best. A season that stands a chance of ending up on the outside looking into the NCAAs can only be described as a disappointment.

It's called tradition, and yes, I'd say most Sioux fans expect excellence all the time. To expect less would be to fall to the level of JBSU or the LandCows. Doesn't that explain all the 7>4 sig lines and the constant bickering between us Sioux fans and the POI crowd? It's not because we hate Gopher fans (well most of them, anyway :silly: ). Fans of both programs start every season with a goal of raising another banner.

This team has the best facility in the college game; at least a fighting chance of recruiting the best young athletes in North America. Of course we expect the best. A season that stands a chance of ending up on the outside looking into the NCAAs can only be described as a disappointment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe so, but petey and tnt make good points as well. We all have high expectations. I'm pretty sure that you could go to Mankato and find at least a few fans that are optimistic at the beginning of each season. With this season mostly out of the way, I'd say there is a lot to be excited about if you are a Seawolves fan as well.

If one down year was to cost a coach his job, then Sandy would be fired this year, Dahl would have been fired years ago, Blais would have been fired after the 2002 season, Gwoz would have barely saved his job because of the NC he won last year, and so on.

It's not bad that we have expectations based on traditions, but the tough part of it is, down times happen. Between 1987 and 1997, how many NCs did we win? I mean, we had decent coaching didn't we? We didn't have the talent though, I know, but we did go 10 years. If we could wait 10 years for an NC, or 3 years for another, then perhaps we can wait another year or two for our next?

One down year doesn't mean the end of a tradition or the end of a quality program. We'll recover.

It's called tradition, and yes, I'd say most Sioux fans expect excellence all the time. To expect less would be to fall to the level of JBSU or the LandCows. Doesn't that explain all the 7>4 sig lines and the constant bickering between us Sioux fans and the POI crowd? It's not because we hate Gopher fans (well most of them, anyway :D ). Fans of both programs start every season with a goal of raising another banner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very well put. :silly:

I ran into a couple of very high-placed NDSU athletic officials tonight at dinner. One of them saw my Fighting Sioux Hockey cap and asked if I had a minute. Never one to turn down the chance to pontificate about our beloved Sioux, I, of course, obliged.

"What's the deal with the team?" I was asked.

The questioner knows to some extent the travails of the Sioux this year, but asked how the mood of the fans is. I told the questioner that several people on the message boards are demanding Coach Hak's head on a stake.

I was told by this questioner that from first-hand conversations with Dean that he knew this would be a tough year...losing too much scoring, and too much heart, evidently convinced that Bochensky would follow Zach to the pros. That, coupled with Wendy's failing health and the better-than-50/50 chance that the NHL would not play, made it a perfect time for Dean to leave.

So if Blais was hinting to colleague and/or peers that the Sioux would be down this year, I think we should all take a second look at what's been written and said about Hak.

I still consider a year without an NCAA bid a disappointment, and if the puck gods start smiling on the Sioux, this is a team that could do some damage in March.

But the coach so many of you are praying to return evidently intimated that this team would have trouble.