SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Esports

The Sicatoka

18 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Alienware machines? Somebody doesn't know what they're doing(or last knew what they were doing 15 years ago).

I am sure those machines are custom spec.  Nothing better than a day at mirco center.

You’re knocking Alienware machines with 13th generation cores, which is what I assume they are running at minimum. (It’s what’s in the box not the name on the box if we really get to brass tracks.)

What’s NDSU running in their Esports arena? Oh, that’s right … so, how’s the budget coming? Seems the NDSU facility is delayed. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You’re knocking Alienware machines with 13th generation cores, which is what I assume they are running at minimum. (It’s what’s in the box not the name on the box if we really get to brass tracks.)

What’s NDSU running in their Esports arena? Oh, that’s right … so, how’s the budget coming? Seems the NDSU facility is delayed. 

Yes, I'm knocking ANYTHING made by Alienware. They're trash and anyone who's kept up with the industry knows it. Once they were bought out by Dell 17 years ago, they started sliding down the hill. They've got good people who want to do good things, but they're completely hamstrung by the pencil pushers. That funky case that looks so cool? It's actually a ten year old basic Dell design at its core that's just got some cheap plastic panels clipped on. Because of it's age, it's thermal design is antiquated and can't keep up with the demands of modern components. The top Core i9 CPUs actually get throttled down in those cases from overheating even with tons of stuff the designers tried to add to combat heat because they were forced to use the old chassis by Dell corporate.

And then there's the fact that almost EVERYTHING in Alienware machines is proprietary. Can't swap motherboards. Can't swap power supplies. Can't swap cables. Swapping video cards is iffy depending on the power connector. Any they're not even priced competitively compared to what you give up by buying one.

Dell computers might have something to do with this: https://www.dell.com/en-us/lp/und 

And knowing the way universities run they set out a set of specs and a vendor met them like @FSSD said. 

All that aside, when does the NDSU arena open? (Right now you sound just like you’re talking about hockey. Get your facility up and running then be the critic.)

39 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Yes, I'm knocking ANYTHING made by Alienware. They're trash and anyone who's kept up with the industry knows it. Once they were bought out by Dell 17 years ago, they started sliding down the hill. They've got good people who want to do good things, but they're completely hamstrung by the pencil pushers. That funky case that looks so cool? It's actually a ten year old basic Dell design at its core that's just got some cheap plastic panels clipped on. Because of it's age, it's thermal design is antiquated and can't keep up with the demands of modern components. The top Core i9 CPUs actually get throttled down in those cases from overheating even with tons of stuff the designers tried to add to combat heat because they were forced to use the old chassis by Dell corporate.

And then there's the fact that almost EVERYTHING in Alienware machines is proprietary. Can't swap motherboards. Can't swap power supplies. Can't swap cables. Swapping video cards is iffy depending on the power connector. Any they're not even priced competitively compared to what you give up by buying one.

Yeah, R13 had some problems.  I am sure that they have the R15's which has several improvements, but it is still expensive.  It's good to see Intel starting to recover but the chip still runs hot.  It's been a while since I was on the line with motherboards rolling out.  Fun stuff and blast from the past.