SiouxSports.com Forum

The "Official" BSU Friday Game Thread

OETKB

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is unexceptable attitude for UND, UND is to hockey what FSU, UofMiami are to football. Its unexceptable to let a team like BSU tie UND.

I will make a prediction Hak is going to be gone in less than three years if he can't get UND to play better than this, the powerful alumni will call for his head, as they should, if this keeps up the Sioux will be playing in half full quite arenas. This season has been totally unexceptable, and a bore to watch. Dave has no control of the team, they play with no emotion and little fire. He gots guys getting arrested This wouldn't happen on Dean's watch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So who wins the beer on a tie?

Someone else mentioned this but to add to my 13 points above, I don't think Lammy had his best game.  He appeared to be struggling to control the puck a few different times, and left some nice rebounds.  The first goal was one I think he wishes he had back.  The pass came from behind the goal to right out in front.  Lammy had the post covered and his stick out to block any pass that would come from the back of the goal past the post to the crease area.  Unfortunately, the puck slipped underneath his stick.  Before Lammy could react the lone Bemidji player slipped it through Lammy's five hole.  Whether he should have had that hole closed I don't know. 

The second goal was a juicy rebound that did happen to find an open Bemidji player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lammy might not have had his "best" game, but it doesn't help when the opposing players park in front of your net all night and not get moved out. He has been our lone bright spot in a lot of games so far this year, too bad we can't help him out and get him a win once in a while.

I thought the team looked terrible the first period. In fact, they looked as bad as I've seen a Sioux team play in over ten years. It was embarassing.

We need to win games this time of year, moral victories can be thrown out the window.

From my seat behind Lammy:

Schneider's penalty late in the 3rd was a job! It happened right in front of me and Andy clearly pulled up on the hit. Yes the Beaver hit the boards, but he was there before Andy hit him. Campion (ref) was out of position, and saw the play from behind, not from the boards where he should have been. Schneider was right to complain all the way to the box.

Quinn, Colby, Chris Porter all played great games. I don't think Colby is really comfortable on the wing. He is a natural centerman. Fylling was fun to watch, he was in people's face most of the night. Chris Porter worked hard all night; driving to the net, trying to get free in the offensive zone.

I am really concerned about the D; Andy just flat out left his man alone in the slot on, I think the second BSU goal. It was ugly. I hate to say it 'cause he's a nice kid, but Matt Smaby is rapidly becoming a liability. He's tentative with the puck leading to LOTS of turnovers in our own zone. I watched him stand...yes stand...all alone for entire shifts in front of Lammy when he should've been planted on some Beav's backside or tying up a stick. Matt Jones is not flashy, but he's the only stablizer on the ice last night. You take Jones, Fuher, Schneider and Greene out of the D rotation and next year could be REALLY ugly. I hope these kids coming in can immediately play with the big boys.

Prpich was off his game; lots of trash-talking but not a lot otherwise. Massen needed to come up big and had about 1-1/2 shifts of effectiveness. Zajac and Spirko continue to amaze me and will become real stars. I thought Stafford played well in spots, although not as steadily as he needs to.

A big surprise for the night was how well Lee Marvin filled in on D; I thought he played very well. Nothing spectacular, but he didn't scare me the way Smaby has this season.

Offensively the Sioux need to focus more on getting the puck into the slot; they cycle behind the net and to the boards, but it just never seems to get into a good scoring position. I know they're trying to work it to the post and find a lurker there to jam the puck in, but aside from Stafford, and maybe Colby when he's centering a line, I don't know who we have to get in front and stay there.

One real tell on the team was the power play, what, late in the 2nd? We were still getting outshot pretty horribly, and they just simply took control of the puck, and tempo and the entire ice sheet. I think they threw 6 or 7 shots on goal and eventually scored to get to 2-3. That was a powerful example of the skill present.

This is still a pretty talented team; I am not surprised by the dearth in scoring. And, as someone else pointed out, we did move up one slot in PRI in spite of the tie.

The intensity the Sioux showed in the 3rd was fun, and that needs to be the rule from here on out. Still have 16 league points available, and 10 or 12 are quite possible. But they'll not be easy or convincing wins.

I think this team has a chance to do something if they can get into the NCAAs and if they can carry some energy throughout an entire game.

From my seat behind Lammy:

Schneider's penalty late in the 3rd was a job! It happened right in front of me and Andy clearly pulled up on the hit. Yes the Beaver hit the boards, but he was there before Andy hit him. Campion (ref) was out of position, and saw the play from behind, not from the boards where he should have been. Schneider was right to complain all the way to the box.

Quinn, Colby, Chris Porter all played great games. I don't think Colby is really comfortable on the wing. He is a natural centerman. Fylling was fun to watch, he was in people's face most of the night. Chris Porter worked hard all night; driving to the net, trying to get free in the offensive zone.

I am really concerned about the D; Andy just flat out left his man alone in the slot on, I think the second BSU goal. It was ugly. I hate to say it 'cause he's a nice kid, but Matt Smaby is rapidly becoming a liability. He's tentative with the puck leading to LOTS of turnovers in our own zone. I watched him stand...yes stand...all alone for entire shifts in front of Lammy when he should've been planted on some Beav's backside or tying up a stick. Matt Jones is not flashy, but he's the only stablizer on the ice last night. You take Jones, Fuher, Schneider and Greene out of the D rotation and next year could be REALLY ugly. I hope these kids coming in can immediately play with the big boys.

Prpich was off his game; lots of trash-talking but not a lot otherwise. Massen needed to come up big and had about 1-1/2 shifts of effectiveness. Zajac and Spirko continue to amaze me and will become real stars. I thought Stafford played well in spots, although not as steadily as he needs to.

A big surprise for the night was how well Lee Marvin filled in on D; I thought he played very well. Nothing spectacular, but he didn't scare me the way Smaby has this season.

Offensively the Sioux need to focus more on getting the puck into the slot; they cycle behind the net and to the boards, but it just never seems to get into a good scoring position. I know they're trying to work it to the post and find a lurker there to jam the puck in, but aside from Stafford, and maybe Colby when he's centering a line, I don't know who we have to get in front and stay there.

One real tell on the team was the power play, what, late in the 2nd? We were still getting outshot pretty horribly, and they just simply took control of the puck, and tempo and the entire ice sheet. I think they threw 6 or 7 shots on goal and eventually scored to get to 2-3. That was a powerful example of the skill present.

This is still a pretty talented team; I am not surprised by the dearth in scoring. And, as someone else pointed out, we did move up one slot in PRI in spite of the tie.

The intensity the Sioux showed in the 3rd was fun, and that needs to be the rule from here on out. Still have 16 league points available, and 10 or 12 are quite possible. But they'll not be easy or convincing wins.

I think this team has a chance to do something if they can get into the NCAAs and if they can carry some energy throughout an entire game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dagies and mikejm, I appreciate your insight on the game and the players.

I am not willing to give up on Matt Smaby, but what I am willing to wonder is this: What's his confidence level at? Are there issues going on with him off the ice?

Let's face it folks, DI Hockey is not very kind on big dfensemen (classifying big as being 6'2" or taller). Matt's game, like Greene's game, will do fine in the pros because he won't have to worry about whether or not his hit is going to be legal or not on any given night. A lot of his elbowing calls are simply because he didn't remember to slouch or bend down when going for the check, IMO. His elbows when he checks often times are right at the neck or head level of a lot of players in DI hockey. Smaby is a young kid, still, and perhaps what's going on is too much to think of at this level. He doesn't need more talent, he's got that. He doesn't need to get smart, that will come in time. What he needs is to mature a bit more. He also needs a calming influence off the ice (either a teammate or a good friend or even a coach).

NOTE: Mind you, I'm not an expert, nor do I know what's actually going on with Matt Smaby, but if his confidence level is down, I think that can affect his game enough to where fans can construe his play as being a liability. One doesn't improve in leaps and bounds on half of the season only to regress the next because they lose ability.. Something's going on.

Marvin, Spirko, Zajac, Jones, and Stafford, IMO, had good games. Genoway had a slow start, as dagies (I think) stated, but then he turned things around. Disappointing play yesterday came from Prpich, McMahon, Phil (first 2 periods), Schneider (I think he had the worst night defensively of all the D), and I will say that Smaby didn't have a good game either.

I hope tonight will be different.

Last note: It sucks that I graduated in December. I'm on the outside looking in. :0

I agree that Smaby is talented; he's just become very tentative in his approach to playing defense, both in covering opposing players in our zone and in moving the puck out to center ice and beyond.

I know that Matt hangs with Chris Porter a lot; I've run into them several times this year at the Pepper and in the Ralph during the WJC. Chris is always positive and the leader of the two; Matt hangs back and follows Porter's lead, socially at least.

With that being said, and watching how Chris has been playing, especially the last four or five series, I would expect that Matt's off-ice influences are nothing but positive and reassuring.

I have a feeling that Smaby's tentativeness, particularly with the puck, comes from being burned a couple times. Now he's trying so hard NOT to turn over the puck that he's become an easy read for opposing team's forecheck.

I have been critical of Matt's play, but it is because I have such high expectations of him. He's a big, strong, talented kid (2nd round draft choice - Tampa). If he can feed off his pal's energy and assertiveness he'll be a heckuva player. He's got a great sidekick in Porter and can really go nowhere but up from the slump he's fallen into.

I remember the night two or three years ago when Nick Fuher "came of age"; several people in my section said they'd seen him "become a man" that game.

I'm waiting for Matt's coming out party.

I know that i'm not the first one to say this on this board, but this years version of the sioux is the most pathetic thing i've seen since the last years of the gino era. never in the last ten years have i seen a team play with such little heart, pride, or sense of urgency. they got lucky last night that BSU decided to play on their heels and try and hold on to a 3-0 lead. An earlier post suggested that Hak will have his head handed to him withing 3 years if this keeps up. I second that, and maybe call it earlier, this program is the cream of the crop and this is completely unacceptable. They should not be tying a CHA hockey team. They should not be trailing 3-0 to a CHA hockey team. They should be up 4 goals after 2 periods and still striving for more. I can't believe that some people on this board come on and say there were positives to this game. The only one i saw is the Sioux POSITIVELY stink this year. I predict that they are going to mail in the rest of the season and hopefully this crop of seniors won't let the door hit em on the ass on the way out. Earlier poster said it when they compared the seniors to essentially red shirt freshman. They are playing like it. Prpich is the only one playing constistent. I know that i'm not a great hockey mind like the majority of posters on this board, but i like to know that i have a little knowledge of the game and i'm sad to say that i'm glad i didn't waste the money on season tickets this year because they woulda been used more for PR than my own personal enjoyment. It's tuff to stomach a game like last night on tv or radio, much less in person. I will always be a sioux hockey fan, i have the logo tatoo'd on the back of my neck, I bleed green and white, but as a hockey fan, this season has laid more disappointment on my hockey heart. at least the WJC's were here so we could see some quality hockey. maybe i'm wrong, maybe i'm jumping to conclusions, maybe it's just 5 months of frustration with this team coming out right now, but i beg this team to pull their heads out of their asses, their hearts out of their stomachs and their pride from wherever they put it and make a run STARTING TONIGHT!!!! Take out their frustrations on this BSU team and keep it going through april. :0

I really enjoy when the Sioux win a game. Blow-out wins in games that the Sioux are "suppose" to win are good 'cause they are "wins", but often they are not the most entertaining games. I even enjoy Sioux games in which they play hard but lose to the better team.

But the Sioux games that I love, that I like to think back on are those "comeback" games . . . . the 2000 national title game . . . . the (Jan?/Feb?) 1987 comeback at Wisconsin . . . . any number of comeback games against the gophers . . . even the ones that end in a loss or a tie: 2001 national title game (loss) . . . . CC at the Ralph-David Hale goal to tie it at 4-4 . . .

In my mind when I think of words to describe UND hockey as a whole I think of "hardwork" and "relentless". Last night's game: penalties, for 2 1/2 periods lossing to a lower ranked team, seemingly outworked, etc...., BUT 3rd period: here come the Sioux -- they almost did it; did UND deserve a win, who cares, they almost pulled it out and they salvaged a tie . . . I believe that if just one player can shoulder this team the rest of the season those comeback wins will happen.

I realize the players probably don't read this board, but . . . to the seniors -- thanks for the hard work you've given for 4 years (Quinn-5 years counting USHL) -- you came in on a down year and were expected to do an upperclassman type of job as a freshman; you've dealt with the distractions of illnesses, the "hambulger" (aka CF), players going pro early . . . . but over the 4 years you've made the team rise to #1 ranking in the nation and you brought the McNaughton Cup to the lobbey/and a banner to the ceiling of the Ralph. For that "Thanks". As seniors you have only 5 more games to play in GF (unless, of course the 1st round of the playoffs are a home series). . . enjoy each minute, take advantage of each shift -- it's going to go so quickly . . . you have 5 more games to leave your mark . . . do it . . . don't have any regrets . . . worry about what you want to leave on the rink, worry about your coaches expectations . . . don't worry about the fans opinions -- do what you're able to do.

Go Sioux.

kr, good stuff. (Yes, the OT loss on 2001 and the WCHA Final Five loss that same year are still among my favorite Sioux games).

I don't agree that the team DIDN'T play with heart and pride last night. From what I saw on TV, they looked like they were busting it. Did they do everything right? No. But you can play with heart and desire and not do everything right. Hopefully those aspects of their game will yet come together, and then this team will be excellent.

I stayed at Senser's watching the game last night because, even though we were down 3 goals, I felt like the guys were really working. And when they continue to put out the effort and not quit, you never know what will happen. There have been games where I feel the team gave up (one was a loss at the DECC about 3 years ago?) but last night I felt like they were working all night long. Yes, I expected better results than the tie, but considering how things had gone the first 2 periods in the end I was happy. I only hope they can build on the 3rd period tonite. I don't think I'm going to get to watch the game tonite, but I really wish I could. I'm expecting good things again.

I want to publicly thank people like ... redwing, dagies, jk, sicatoka, superman0099, farce poobah pcm, kr and others ... for their contributions to these boards. They know hockey and enjoy the game of hockey. They love a good discussion and like to argue about the players, coaches and other teams. They get mad, pissed off and even frustrated at times. But what they do most is ... they show respect for the Sioux players as people. They continue to believe in them even when they struggle on and off the ice. As Lammy's brother showed all of us who read his article, we have no clue what some of these guys might be going through personally.

I hope the Sioux find their confidence and soul as a team tonight. I hope the players who are struggling can find their confidence as players tonight. I hope the fans can rally like they did the last 10 minutes of the game last night and help move the spirit of this team forward.

Go Sioux!

So who wins the beer on a tie?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not out of the Woods yet. UND still has to win or tie tonight. Hopper kept calling me last night at the Ralph telling me that he would loan me some of his beer, and to watch the Herald for adds at Happy Harry's.