SiouxSports.com Forum

Which sports should UND sponsor?

SIOUXFAN97

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm still on the mens soccer bandwagon.  You have all of the infrastrucutre right now and would have a near monopoly of the ND/SD/MN talent.

*Of course, UND isn't adding a sport anytime soon. 

that's kinda what i was getting at with this post is i would love to see und with lax and men's soccer

....Bronson Field is there...on campus games...

and women's bowling would be awesome!

7 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm still on the mens soccer bandwagon.  You have all of the infrastrucutre right now and would have a near monopoly of the ND/SD/MN talent.

At least that is a sport that area high schools sponsor. Unlike some of the other one's thrown out there.

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

drop tennis and add men's soccer...on campus...outdoors...get er done

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

drop tennis and add men's soccer...on campus...outdoors...get er done

Problem I believe is that any sport that UND drops, that is sponsered by the Summit, they have to pay a penalty. 

When they dropped swimming, they had to pay a penalty.

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Problem I believe is that any sport that UND drops, that is sponsered by the Summit, they have to pay a penalty. 

they would still sponsor 6 on the men's side? does it matter which 6?

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Pretty sure it's 100k per sport.  Not sure where I read that.  Maybe old conference bylaws that were in place when UND joined the conf.

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

they would still sponsor 6 on the men's side? does it matter which 6?

I, or someone else can fact check this, but when UND agreed to joined the Summit, they agreed that they would sponser these sports for the next 8 years or suffer a penalty.  Now they made this agreement before they went back to the cutting board and since they cut swimming, they had to pay a penalty.

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Pretty sure it's  100k. 

I remember 150k, but certainly could have been 100k

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

soooo...should the summit already plan to reschedule und v omaha softball in GF on April 7th.......

They play KC, but yeah no way it is being played at Apollo.  Would like to see the Alerus center set up for Softball.  It looks like the next event in the Arena is April 15th.  Red River and Central could also us it to get some games knocked out.  Heck you could host some Neutral site games from Fargo and Devils Lake.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

be cheap and you get cheap results....hence the summit league.

What do you imagine the upside is in UND Soccer, assuming all things work out perfectly? 

What I think would happen is we would probably suck, because the program would have poor facilities and it would be under funded.  The cost of the program would also erode the budgets of other underfunded Summit sports, and the extra games during the fall would further stretch the time of our athletic department staff, who already have crazy busy fall schedules having to host so many home matches for FB, Basketball, Womens Soccer, Volleyball, Hockey, etc.,  

Where do you see the upside?  Seriously curious.  Does it make money?  What is attendance?  How much ticket revenue?  

Also, can you explain why you think existing league schools would think your changes cause the Summit League to be more desirable?

SDSU and NDSU would have to leave the Big Twelve for wrestling.  Denver would have to leave the Big East for Lax.  In place would be a Summit League conference with a bunch of start up programs?

Wouldn't it be better to encourage schools to take the million per year hypothetical Lax budget and put it towards improving basketball? 

Seriously curious about your thought process and would love to know WHY you think your proposed moves make sense.

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

What do you imagine the upside is in UND Soccer, assuming all things work out perfectly? 

What I think would happen is we would probably suck, because the program would have poor facilities and it would be under funded.  The cost of the program would also erode the budgets of other underfunded Summit sports, and the extra games during the fall would further stretch the time of our athletic department staff, who already have crazy busy fall schedules having to host so many home matches for FB, Basketball, Womens Soccer, Volleyball, Hockey, etc.,  

Where do you see the upside?  Seriously curious.  Does it make money?  What is attendance?  How much ticket revenue?  

Also, can you explain why you think existing league schools would think your changes cause the Summit League to be more desirable?

SDSU and NDSU would have to leave the Big Twelve for wrestling.  Denver would have to leave the Big East for Lax.  In place would be a Summit League conference with a bunch of start up programs?

Wouldn't it be better to encourage schools to take the million per year hypothetical Lax budget and put it towards improving basketball? 

Seriously curious about your thought process and would love to know WHY you think your proposed moves make sense.

long story short...if fenton doesn't think outside the box we will have spent 20 plus years for the ncc2.1

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Big Green said:

They play KC, but yeah no way it is being played at Apollo.  Would like to see the Alerus center set up for Softball.  It looks like the next event in the Arena is April 15th.  Red River and Central could also us it to get some games knocked out.  Heck you could host some Neutral site games from Fargo and Devils Lake.

Chaves said on his podcast when he first got here that he was planning to have softball play a bunch of games there moving forward.  That obviously hasn't happened, but does anyone know the details why?  Because he was legitimately excited about this... Does the Alerus charge too much for rent?  It seems that NDSU has a way better deal with the Fargodome/Fargo than UND has with the Alerus Center.  Probably because the Fargodome was built on NDSU's land... but given that the Alerus Center is City Owned, I think everyone would agree that the entire community would benefit from the Alerus being converted into a softball configuration a few times each spring, right?  Would love to see Brandon B. work with UND and the Alerus to get a deal put together (because Chaves clearly isn't one to get anything done).

17 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

u make it sound this is earth shattering stuff if it happened...dropping swimming and diving (which needs 3 affiliates) and tennis (which has 2 affiliates) and adding wrestling and lacrosse to the summit mix?

18 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

u make it sound this is earth shattering stuff if it happened...dropping swimming and diving (which needs 3 affiliates) and tennis (which has 2 affiliates) and adding wrestling and lacrosse to the summit mix?

It is.  It pisses off alumni and donors at schools that cut the programs, it creates title 9 issues, and swimming facilities were huge investments which will still need to be maintained at schools that field the sport.  LAX and Wrestling would add millions to athletic budgets of Summit schools, and that would hurt basketball, because the money needed to operate these programs has to come from somewhere - any additional investment should be going into basketball rather than non revenue sports.  A Summit League with better basketball (and a highly profitable post season tournament) is what would keep teams from jumping to the MVC/A10.  If anything, if we can improve investment in basketball, it could help us to poach select MVC FB schools down the road.  Basketball is the main reason schools leave or are invited to different conferences..  Also, the Summit League being OK with DU's sports offerings is likely the only reason they're in the conference.

Nice talking with you.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I'm very confused as well. Schools like NDSU and UND should probably have the minimum number of sports possible, and pump as much money as they can into the sports that can drive revenue/enthusiasm. I don't see men's soccer doing that  in North Dakota. It looks like most teams get a few hundred fans.

• Upvote 1

Ok so this is want from Fenton...or bust.

Use the promise/plan of FBS Football and NCHC membership to lockup the Summit and bring in some new blood (Missouri State and Northern Iowa).

Summit 2.1

UND, NDAC, USD, SDAC, St Thomas, Omaha, KC, Denver, Oral Roberts, Western Illinois, Missouri State, and Northern Iowa

Men's Sports

Football, Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, Lacrosse, T&F, Cross Country, Baseball, Golf, and Wrestling.

FBS Football

UND, NDAC, USD, SDAC, St Thomas, Western Illinois, Northern Iowa, and Missouri State

Hockey

UND, Omaha, Denver, St. Thomas, Northern Iowa, Missouri State...2 or 3 or 4 more affiliates (no Miami)

Basketball

All 12

Soccer

Denver, KC, Omaha, Oral Roberts, St Thomas, Western Illinois---UND...

Lacrosse

Denver...hope a lot more join including Missouri State (club team)

T&F 

enough already have it

CC

enough already have it

Baseball

NDSU, Omaha, Oral Roberts, St Thomas, SDSU, Western Illinois, Missouri State (drop UNC)

Golf

enough have it (adding in Missouri State and NIU)

Wrestling

NDAC, SDAC, Northern Iowa, ---get a couple more to add...UND? USD?? Omaha???

Yes, the hardest part would be getting Northern Iowa and Missouri State from the MVC.  But FBS Football could be the draw plus an open invitation to D1 hockey (if the facilities are good) could get them to jump (and the MVC is/has been getting raided every few years).

Yes, getting Denver to leave Big East Lacrosse would be hard/impossible but Fenton could say...here is the number for the commish of AHA...bye.

Yes, getting NDSU, SDSU, and NIU to leave the "Big 12" wrestling conference sounds tough but the real name should be the "Affiliate Conference"...bc only Iowa State, OK State and West Virginia are the only Big 12 schools in the mix...plus with everything going on with the big 12 who knows what their plan is for wrassling...

8 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I'm very confused as well. Schools like NDSU and UND should probably have the minimum number of sports possible, and pump as much money as they can into the sports that can drive revenue/enthusiasm. I don't see men's soccer doing that  in North Dakota. It looks like most teams get a few hundred fans.

few hundred more than tennis imo

31 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

few hundred more than tennis imo

Few hundred thousand more in expenses/losses, and probably more, though.
Summit League schools just don't have the resources for investments like that.
Fenton would also get laughed out of the room if he said he was bringing the Summit up to FBS football, because right now, there literally isn't a path.  The WAC/ASun is already backtracking on similar comments that they've made.

I agree that Summit Football (and potentially hockey) may be necessary at some point, but I don't think the Iron is hot enough to strike, especially if the goal is to attract MVC schools.  They just plain are not interested.. they won't even need to take a second to think about it.  Summit Basketball would need to be much closer to the level of the MVC.  As the Summit improves, I think it will get there, as it's likely the MVC regresses a bit at the same time.  St. Thomas also needs time to adjust it's non FB budgets to the D1 level and they need to finish building (and fundraising for) their new arena.  Fenton also needs to get the new media deal put together and he needs time to let his new media strategy develop (whatever it is), in order to make the league more attractive for it's next deal and potential expansion down the road.  I think when the soon to be announced media deal is set to expire is when he will start pushing for FB, if he does go that route, because he will be able to use the leagues track record with their new TV deal and the potential for adding FB to the mix to negotiate the next deal/expansion.

Fenton IS also of a similar mindset as you in regard to adding sports, by the way.  Have you heard this interview?  He basically says as much.  Now just isn't the time yet, especially because so much is up in the air when it comes to the structure of D1 athletics as a whole and the future viability of single sport conferences.

• Like 1