SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches Show. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or USCHO. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

From Suite 49 sports grill near beautiful Ralph Engelstad Arena, Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman are the hosts with Sioux associate hockey coach Brad Berry.

TH: Dave Hakstol is in Cedar Rapids scouting, but we can

Edited by PCM

They could be recruiting someone they are playing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hakstol is viewing Cedar Rapids vs Green Bay tonight. He also could stick around to see them play Chicago.

It could very well be that he's just checking up on Miller?

Or perhaps he's looking into Dan Tormey, who is CR's goaltender, and the only one which is uncommitted. Just worthy of note: Stalock committed to UMD, so if Ziggy did indeed transfer there, he's no better off there than he would have been here. :huh:

Hakstol is viewing Cedar Rapids vs Green Bay tonight. He also could stick around to see them play Chicago.

It could very well be that he's just checking up on Miller?

Or perhaps he's looking into Dan Tormey, who is CR's goaltender, and the only one which is uncommitted. Just worthy of note: Stalock committed to UMD, so if Ziggy did indeed transfer there, he's no better off there than he would have been here. :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Green Bay has a couple defensemen that may be of interest. Spencer Dillon is a big stay-at-home defenseman who played with Travis Zajac last year with the Salmon Arm Silverbacks. He was previously at Shattuck St. Mary's. He has been drafted by Florida. Jeremy Dehner is a small kid from Culver Academy who played with Brian Lee and Taylor Chorney on last summer's USA Select 18 team.

Just worthy of note:  Stalock committed to UMD, so if Ziggy did indeed transfer there, he's no better off there than he would have been here.  :huh:

Thanks for the recap PCM!

Ziggy did transfer to UMD. I am friends with his older brother. Evidently he is happy there and thinks he will be able to contribute next year.

Does this mean Rylan Kaip as well?  Anybody have a reasonable read on his status?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assume that Berry meant that Kaip was ready to play again, although he didn't specificallly mention him. Murray's injury was the only one that Berry and Hennessy discussed.

I thought the most interesting part of the coaches' show was when Berry twice brought up that the team didn't have an offensive leader in the locker room. He talked about players like Lee Goren and Jeff Panzer taking past Sioux teams on their backs and leading them to victory through the examples they set.

It seems strange that a lack of offensive leadership would be a problem this late in the season, but it does help explain the anemic scoring. I can't see the Sioux finishing strong in the WCHA or going far in the playoffs unless this changes. I got the feeling that Berry knows it, too.

I thought the most interesting part of the coaches' show was when Berry twice brought up that the team didn't have an offensive leader in the locker room. He talked about players like Lee Goren and Jeff Panzer taking past Sioux teams on their backs and leading them to victory through the examples they set.

It seems strange that a lack of offensive leadership would be a problem this late in the season, but it does help explain the anemic scoring. I can't see the Sioux finishing strong in the WCHA or going far in the playoffs unless this changes. I got the feeling that Berry knows it, too.

No senior has stepped up to tote the load yet. It's too late to expect it. There aren't many juniors to look to either.

That means it has to come from one of the other classes.

There's this guy who led the US WJC team in scoring. He looked really good out there on the ice at The Ralph. I wish he was playing for The Sioux.

Oh, .... that's right ....

Paging Mr. Stafford. Mr. Drew Stafford ....

I watch Spirko alot - He is Good... But needs to start shooting the puck more & not just to get shots... BUT be determined to score ...He is always working, chasing the puck into the corners & behind the net (others too)... BUT he & others need to be thinking about positioning themselves to score ---How many times this year is there 3 Sioux after the puck & no one in front of the net ? ? ? ...Either that or the defensemen have to step up & do the scoring ...otherwise it is a waste to have guys fighting for the puck & no one there to shoot the puck ? ...Right ? ? ? :huh:

1 to 0 with stupid & unavoidable penalties is very possible the way things are going :0

There's this guy who led the US WJC team in scoring. He looked really good out there on the ice at The Ralph. I wish he was playing for The Sioux.

Oh, .... that's right ....

Paging Mr. Stafford. Mr. Drew Stafford ....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jeff Panzer had 228 points for his career. I don't think Stafford is half the player Jeffie was.

How many times this year is there 3 Sioux after the puck & no one in front of the net ? ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. The player in the off corner needs to head to the net. There should rarely be 3 players behind the net. It leaves you too vulnerable, and gives you no pass option.

Hak is travelling to assess players. Whomever he is watching, that is a good attribute.

When it comes to finding a leader, I don't care how much a guy scores. I care that he can lead, and does it. This team hasn't had someone step up into that realm (a leader) yet either.

I picked Stafford because he showed, by his actions and play in the WJCs, that he can lead. (He also happened to get quite a few points along the way.)

Hey, if Mike Prpich takes the job that's fine with me too.

A leader would start doing the little things that matter, taking the abuse in front, going to the net, never taking a shift off, going back in the room and challenging guys who aren't gettin' it done every shift.

Leaders aren't always on the top of the scoresheet. Someone, anyone, willing to lead. Maybe not on the ice in scoring, but definitely in other areas that matter like "the room". (Look at DU's Caldwell or Minnesota's Grant Potulny.)

Don't believe my assessment on needing someone to step up and lead? Fine, but go and read what Brad Berry is saying: "We

One of the greatest examples of team leadership I ever witnessed came when I was playing high school football. Our team ran the option offense and our running backs were getting stuffed by a team we should have been easily beating.

Our quarterback, a small guy who also played linebacker, stopped handing off the ball or pitching it to a back. He kept the ball and ran it many times in a row. He picked up several first downs, mostly through sheer grit and determination.

When the opposing defense finally figured out that our QB wasn't going to do anything but run the ball himself, they simply keyed on him and gang-tackled him until we were forced to punt.

When the offense came to the sidelines, the players surrounded the QB and asked him what he thought he was doing.

He ripped off his helmet, slammed it to the ground in disgust and yelled at them, "If I can pick up yards, you can too! You're not running hard! You're not playing hard! I'll keep the ball every play and run it myself until you show up!"

The message sunk in and we went on to win the game. That's what leadership is about.

Jeff Panzer had 228 points for his career. I don't think Stafford is half the player Jeffie was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not the point. Leadership isn't about who has the best career stats. Stafford will probably never top Panzer at UND in that regard. What I believe Berry meant is that Panzer's leadership abilities were just as important to UND's success as a team than his play on the ice.

Clearly, Dean Blais saw something he liked about Stafford when he recruited him. Mike Eaves saw something he liked about Stafford when he moved him up on the line chart for the WJC championship game against Canada in Helskini. The Buffalo Sabres saw something they liked when they made Stafford their No. 1 draft choice. And Scott Sandelin saw something he liked when he put Stafford in an offensive leadership role on this year's WJC team.

If you look at the roster of the Sioux and you know that the team needs an offensive leader, Stafford appears to be an obvious choice. Can he do it? Will he do it? Who knows.

But somebody needs to. And until somebody does, the prospects for this season don't look good.

That's not the point. Leadership isn't about who has the best career stats. Stafford will probably never top Panzer at UND in that regard. What I believe Berry meant is that Panzer's leadership abilities were just as important to UND's success as a team than his play on the ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the point, Jeff Panzer would score in any way shape or form to win the game, he was a leader a crowd pleaser. I think having players like him made us spoiled.

The point is that Jeff Panzer was a play maker, and was beloved by all of the fans. Drew Stafford is a wing with talent that appears to be going half speed most of the time, that every once in a while makes plays have you shaking his head, you want to see it more.

Jeff Panzer did it all the time. Panzer was the Kirby Pucket of UND, come on guys lets go get the win and he took the team on his back and got it done. This years version of UND hockey appears to be used to losing or playing to compete and look good. UND is a team that is no longer feared. I don't know what it is maybe its the new arena. We got a bunch of pretty boys, but we need to the rough and tough blue chippers. We need players like Adam Calder and Matt Hendersons.

I believe Zach and Bo were also those types of players. I am saying Drew is a good player, however, he is half as good as Jeff. I honestly don't know what the NHL is seeing in him that makes him a number one. If I was a GM I would rather have a guy like Colby Genoway or Lee Goren someone who leaves it on the ice, not someone who complains about being tired during a Weekend series.

You still don't get it, Goon. All those great Sioux players of the past are gone. What they brought to their respective teams in years past went with them.

This team -- this season -- needs someone to step up and fill the role of an offensive leader. Maybe it's Stafford, and maybe it isn't. Maybe it will be Rory McMahon or Colby Genoway. The point is, we all know that someone needs to do it -- and soon.

Tearing down Stafford because he isn't Panzer accomplishes nothing. I could just as easily point out that Jeff Panzer was no Tony Hrkac or Jim Archibald. So what? How does that help this team right now?

And just because no one on the team has assumed the role of offensive leader, does that mean that nobody can? I sincerely hope not. Otherwise, we might just as well pull the plug on the season right now.

Nobody on the team is doing what guys like Panzer and Goren did. If the team had someone filling the offensive leadership role, then Berry wouldn't be on the radio saying that it's something the team needs.

Tearing down Stafford because he isn't Panzer accomplishes nothing. I could just as easily point out that Jeff Panzer was no Tony Hrkac or Jim Archibald. So what? How does that help this team right now?

Berry wouldn't be on the radio saying that it's something the team needs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I am not mistake old wise one, I believe I was agreeing with you. But since you are the all knowing on this web page we will let it go at that.

Second Panzer is like third on the all time list so I believe he is close to a Hrkac in what he meant to this team. For someone to accomplish those numbers you would have to average 62 points a year for 4 years.

The hockey name "Goon" implies you are a fighter...based on your comments I think you got punched in the head a few to many times...or need to be...

Jeff "Jeffie" Panzer is 5'8" 155lbs...Drew Stafford is 6'3" 210lbs...I think they are different players...Panzer was a prototype college player who, because of his size will probably never make an impact in the NHL...Let's wait a few years and compare these two as NHL'ers...

Jeff Panzer was 20 years old as a freshman...he scored 5 more points than Stafford who was 18. Drew Stafford will not be 20 until 1/4 of the way through his junior year.

To say age doesn't matter is also to say that players don't develop.

Because of their profile the Sioux attract good young players who leave early...Zach, Brandon, probably Stafford, Zajac, Toews...you name it...Toews won't even be 18 until his sophomore year...this is 7 (SEVEN) years younger that Panzer was as a senior leader...it was a different time...none of these current young players will be around when they are seniors...remember also the Sioux were shutout in the biggest game of the year last year, with Zach (soph)and Bo (Jr) in the lineup and Blais behind the bench...

By all accounts the Sioux outplayed CC last week. The fact that they lost is tough, but games and series like that happen. The sad part is that they have lost games they should have won to teams they should beat. Who was on the ice in the last minute tie and eventual loss to CC in Grand Forks?...Seniors...who was on the ice in the last second defensive breakdown in Duluth?...Seniors...who was on the ice when Mankato won with 3 seconds left?...Seniors...Can you blame the coach for putting seniors on the ice in these situations?

Anybody that has been around college or high school sports realizes that a team is only as good as its upperclassmen...to expect 17-18-19 year olds regardless of ability to lead players who are in some cases (Canady) almost six years older, is unreasonable. I've heard that one of the Sioux "so-called" traditions is that seniors don't even talk to freshmen...this may have been okay in the old model, but when you have underclassmen expected to contribute right away, the dynamic should change...

This team can still come together and have a great year. It's up to the upperclassmen, regardless of ability, playing time or anything...they set the tone and culture of the team...

When we win in the future...by the way this team is built...it won't be seniors leading the way...I would bet that in every one of the past championships, it was seniors who lead the way...the way things seem to go now the best players leave early and the only seniors who stay are supposed to be character guys who have more to bring to the table than talent.