SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting News?

siouxcool

Jonathan and family will be welcomed to the Sioux should he come, but I hope he and family aren't ripped by the fans and press down here should he choose the MJ route. They are getting plenty of that from their own country right now.

I was obviously disappointed when I read that article last night. I knew it seemed too good to be true. But after reflecting on it, I think Sprig is right. Us Sioux fans need to show class, unlike some posters from other boards that I have read. If he chooses UND, that will be great. If he doesn't, oh well. Let the family makes its decision based on what they think is in the best interests of Jonathon. Hopefully the family is educated enough to see through the lies and myths being spread about NCAA hockey and make an informed decision truly based on Jonathon's best interests.

I'm sure coach Hakstol is taking the high road in recruiting. UND does not need to resort to the deceptive and intimidation tactics that are apparently being used to to pressure him to choose the WHL route.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't put much into the article. The father appears to be the one making the decisions - the mother appears a little flaky. It looks the reporter heard what he wanted to hear. In the end I think they will end up deciding it would be better for him to play 150 miles from home in the nicest arena in the world for a program that has produced several first round NHL picks.

Remember Tri City is an American team. Much of the crap he is getting is from Americans in Washington. Personally I think the WCHA is a much better league than the CHA has become. They must have at least 50 teams now, watering the talent down.

I agree that I think the article is slanted in favor of pushing Toews to the WHL, even though it is apparent that the family is still considering the kid's options. I think it's appalling that any "scout" would insinuate that a player's draft status is dependent on where his older brother plays. And if the CHL is really serious about restricting NC$$ players from playing for the national team just because they took the college route, they should be ashamed of themselves. (Probably that traditional Canadian inferiority complex creeping up again ;) ) Frankly, I don't see why TriCities calls themselves the "Americans" as there's only one on their roster. Moreover, UND has more NHL picks than a supposedly better WHL team. ;):silly: Maybe the real scouts know something more than the whoever is talking to the Toews family.

If Toews comes to campus, I think he'll get a better look than if he winds up in that muddle that comprises the WHL, and UND and WCHA fans actually *know* hockey. He'll have a chance to play against some of the best talent, and future top round picks, than in the WHL West. If he doesn't the world won't end, and I think we had a pretty strong recruiting class anyway. :angry:

Canada wants nothing short of gold at the world juniors and Toews could be there best forward two years from now. Therefore I don't believe for a minute that he would be overlooked for going the NCAA route. If there hadn't been an NHL strike Zajac would have been on this years Team Canada. It used to be that Major Junior was the fastest and best route to the NHL but that is no longer the case. A player who is very similar to Toews, Jason Spezza, was thought to be a sure fire step right from Major Junior into the NHL player and he still found himself playing in the AHL most of the time. Then there is Zach Parise who thanks to his two years of NCAA was ready to jump straight into New Jerseys lineup if there hadn't been a strike. I am sure that Toew's parents are very well informed and have talke about the subject with none other than J.P. Parise at SSM so I remain optimistic.

I am sure that Toew's parents are very well informed and have talke about the subject with none other than J.P. Parise at SSM so I remain optimistic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe J.P. Parise showed Toew's parents tapes of the maulings Zach received in college and that's why they are trying to back out of their commitment.

Maybe J.P. Parise showed Toew's parents tapes of the maulings Zach received in college and that's why they are trying to back out of their commitment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah right, but if you read my last post I said he was a Spezza type player or Crosby to a lesser extent. It will take much bigger players to maul him as at 17 he is already much bigger than Parise

Yeah right, but if you read my last post I said he was a Spezza type player or Crosby to a lesser extent. It will take much bigger players to maul him as at 17 he is already much bigger than Parise

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't matter. The more talented the player, the more clutching and grabbing. There aren't enough Thelens and Jack Johnsons around so that they can change that game style.

And Superman- The draft status threat isn't towards the NHL or even towards Jonathon. It's towards his younger brother's chances at a Major Junior draft. Major juniors draft rankings have little power over where they go in the NHL draft. The reason why Jonathon was drafted so highly by the WHL was because of his skill plus the strong possibility at the time that he would come. Drew Stafford was drafted by Red Deer but, to my knowledge, I doubt it was very high because Drew wanted to go DI and made it known.

Nevertheless, this is a VERY tough decision for Jonathon and a very stressful situation to be in. I wouldn't want to be a Toews right now.

By the way, regarding that agent guy, how is this legal? I thought that, should an athlete hire an agent, his eligibility for NCAA DI would be null and void?

By the way, regarding that agent guy, how is this legal?  I thought that, should an athlete hire an agent, his eligibility for NCAA DI would be null and void?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt he's being paid. Right now he is just "advising."

He is probably hired by the parents. Its getting pretty common these days for college quality athletes to have 'advisors' helping them get into the college of their choice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then that would bring it back to redwing77's quote of it being illegal to hire an agent.

She said they already have heard from scouts, one of whom said David has a chance to be a top-five pick "if Jonathan goes to the (WHL)." If Jonathan ends up at UND, she said, the scout told her David "would probably drop to the fifth round."

"David said, "That's fine with me," " Gilbert said.

Sounds like little brother doesn't care about is draft ranking going from top 5 to 5th round. Maybe he already plans to become part of the SSM Pipeline. :silly:

Sounds like little brother doesn't care about is draft ranking going from top 5 to 5th round. Maybe he already plans to become part of the SSM Pipeline. :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just think if Zach had taken those scouts' advice and not gone to UND, he would probably have been the #1 pick. :silly:

Maybe one the knowledgible Canadian fans can help here.

What does it matter where a player gets picked in MJ hockey? Aren't most players getting simply expenses and maybe some education picked up?

To me a player picking his team would rank a lot higher than draft position.

Maybe one the knowledgible Canadian fans can help here.

What does it matter where a player gets picked in MJ hockey?  Aren't most players getting simply expenses and maybe some education picked up?

To me a player picking his team would rank a lot higher than draft position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely, they get what amounts to living expenses. In addition to their room and board they get some weekly pocket change for incidentals. I also agree that picking the team is a significant factor. If Toews had been drafted by the Brandon Wheat Kings (a similar distance to Winnipeg) he may have opted for the CHL. Clearly this family cares about making the right choice as they even opted for SSM over their sons playing their AAA hockey in Winnipeg

# Name Position Gr. Date of Birth Ht. Wt. Home Town GP G A PTS PIM

02 James (Alex) Stuart Defense 11 3-3-88 5'9" 170 Sauk Rapids, MN 39 3 15 18 28

03 Tysen Dowzak Defense 11 3-8-88 6'5" 225 Fergus Falls, MN 36 1 9 10 50

04 Taylor Chorney Defense 12 4-27-87 5'11" 180 Hastings, MN 39 4 21 25 44

05 Mark Anderson Defense 12 9-13-86 5'11" 180 Hastings, NE 39 2 22 24 52

06 Jason Fredricks Defense 12 1-18-87 6'1" 180 Eagle River, WI 39 5 9 14 48

07 Joe Brock Forward 11 9-6-87 5'8" 175 Cumming, GA 39 22 7 29 16

08 Kyle Okposo Forward 11 4-16-88 6' 195 St. Paul, MN 36 30 20 50 42

09 Jonathan Toews Forward 12 4-29-88 6'1" 180 Winnipeg, MB 35 26 32 58 26

10 Michael Gergen Forward 12 2-17-87 5'11" 185 Hastings, MN 39 29 29 58 66

11 Drew Pierson Forward 12 12-17-86 5'8" 185 Pleasant Prairie, WI 38 5 9 14 29

13 Angelo Esposito Forward 11 2-20-89 6'1" 170 Montreal, Que 39 17 18 35 27

14 Justin Brossman Forward 11 3-10-88 5'9" 170 Littleton, CO 39 11 9 20 20

15 Tyler Ruegsegger Forward 11 1-19-88 5'11" 170 Lakewood, CO 39 14 28 42 22

16 Tony Mosey Forward 11 4-23-88 5'10" 175 Prior Lake, MN 24 8 14 22 16

17 Zachary Harrison Forward 11 11-22-87 5'10" 165 Faribault, MN 39 2 9 11 26

21 Charles Genoway Forward 12 12-20-86 5'9" 170 Morden, MB 36 10 20 30 24

22 Kevin Deeth Forward 12 5-26-87 5'8" 165 Gig Harbor, WA 37 8 26 34 68

27 Dallas Bossort Defense 12 3-17-87 6' 190 Bismark, ND 37 2 7 9 20

Don't forget that Gergen is more than a year older than Toews.

I was just on the Shattuck-St. Mary's website and saw a kid named Chay Genoway. He looks like Colby so I figured he was related. Anybody know anything about him and if the Sioux are recruiting him? He's probably better than Colby because the younger sibling is always the better athlete, but that's just an assumption.

I was just on the Shattuck-St. Mary's website and saw a kid named Chay Genoway.  He looks like Colby so I figured he was related.  Anybody know anything about him and if the Sioux are recruiting him?  He's probably better than Colby because the younger sibling is always the better athlete, but that's just an assumption.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know who will be the better player but yes it is Colby's younger brother.