SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

39 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Posted this once already. Doubt we add anymore DI games. Just need dates for a few of the non conference games and all conference games.  But at least we know who’s in the schedule  

941642AC-2E95-48EB-B872-BE18127430C2.png

I still think they find a way to get 1 or 2 more.  The Elon one was super late in the process, so it is still possible. 

• Upvote 1

Its been so quiet on here and I am missing some hoops talk!   I over heard the coaches talking last week about going after one more piece for the upcoming season.  I kind of forgot we had one more scholarship.  Any inside info on who they are looking at or if you think they will use it?   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Its been so quiet on here and I am missing some hoops talk!   I over heard the coaches talking last week about going after one more piece for the upcoming season.  I kind of forgot we had one more scholarship.  Any inside info on who they are looking at or if you think they will use it?   

5 man.

Visit will be soon

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Would be nice to use that scholarship to get a point guard as our only PG is most likely ineligible for the year. 

Either way, tough to find a player that will make an impact this late in the summer. 

I believe they are comfortable with their guard position. Any addition this late will most likely be a big.

5 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Would be nice to use that scholarship to get a point guard as our only PG is most likely ineligible for the year. 

Either way, tough to find a player that will make an impact this late in the summer. 

No need for a point guard. Grab the ball and go! All 5 guys will be doing it!! If we have to get in the half court, straight motion baby!!!

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

We're currently like a football team that has no quarterback. Not sure you should be so comfortable with that. 

What are we going to do? Go back to having Brady D be the PG? We saw how that went against NDSU at home :D

Point Omot baby!

I think Treysen could run the show if needed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Point Omot baby!

Eli King is a PG, Treysen can play spot minutes at PG, a guy like Elijah Brooks could carve a unique role out of that position as well, just wouldn't be "conventional" 

Maybe you 3 or 4 goofs that think Daniel Hong can be an All-American will get your wish and he'll be the PG.

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Point Omot baby!

I was thinking more of Point Tsartsidze! 

Treysen struggled last year when he had to play the point. I think he’s much better as a secondary playmaker. King will play point, but is he a point guard? Time will tell. If BJ can create for himself as well as add a threat of playmaking for others, the ceiling is the roof for him :D

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Eli King is a PG, Treysen can play spot minutes at PG, a guy like Elijah Brooks could carve a unique role out of that position as well, just wouldn't be "conventional" 

In all seriousness though, not saying Eli King can't play PG but it definitely doesn't give me great confidence heading into the year if he will be our starting PG. If you watched the games last year you could see Treysen struggled when he was in playing point. The whole team and flow of the offense struggled when he was at that position. Like @GoodGood said, he is a much better secondary playmaker. 

This is supposed to be our year to compete at the top of the conference and we got solid transfers, but didn't address some of the biggest concerns. 1. No knockdown shooter (like Norman) 2. No legit PG that can play (like Trent) 3. No legit 5 man that can protect the paint

Some of these concerns can be solved with players stepping up, players adapting to new positions, and eligibility decisions. But it would have been nice to solve some of these with the transfer portal. Can't wait for the season to get started though!

I dont think Trent was a traditional type point guard either.   We are not any worse off then last year as far as point guards.  Eli King would be just as good as Trent and then we would have a big athletic line up as well.  A traditional pass first,  great outside shooting point guard would be ideal, but at this point i think getting the best player available is best.   I still think we also need some help in the middle.  Brian Matthews just hasnt got better and T can only do so much.  Last year we got out played in the middle alot.  

I see the starting line up as King, Treyson, BJ, T and Amar or Deng starting.  Thats a nice big athletic line up.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

In all seriousness though, not saying Eli King can't play PG but it definitely doesn't give me great confidence heading into the year if he will be our starting PG. If you watched the games last year you could see Treysen struggled when he was in playing point. The whole team and flow of the offense struggled when he was at that position. Like @GoodGood said, he is a much better secondary playmaker. 

This is supposed to be our year to compete at the top of the conference and we got solid transfers, but didn't address some of the biggest concerns. 1. No knockdown shooter (like Norman) 2. No legit PG that can play (like Trent) 3. No legit 5 man that can protect the paint

Some of these concerns can be solved with players stepping up, players adapting to new positions, and eligibility decisions. But it would have been nice to solve some of these with the transfer portal. Can't wait for the season to get started though!

You continue to say things like the highlighted comment above.  How in the hell do you know they didn't "address" those issues?  Any decent coaching staff knows what they need and will attempt to address those needs.  Being successful in bringing in talent whenever/wherever it is needed can be a whole different story!!! Any college basketball coach in the country would agree!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

You continue to say things like the highlighted comment above.  How in the hell do you know they didn't "address" those issues?  Any decent coaching staff knows what they need and will attempt to address those needs.  Being successful in bringing in talent whenever/wherever it is needed can be a whole different story!!! Any college basketball coach in the country would agree!

Good for them! Glad to know you believe they are doing what they are paid to do. Also, you do know that this website is literally created so that fans can post their thoughts and opinions right?? 

But to answer your question, did we get a knock down shooter? Someone like Norman? No. Did we get a legit PG to run the offense and lead the team? Possibly but looking like he will be ineligible. Did we get a 5 man to protect the paint? Something that we were absolutely brutal at last year. Probably not. Amar had 17 blocks in 32 games at the Juco level. 

Like I said in my last post that you must not have read, these can be addressed by players getting better, adapting to new positions, and many other ways. Just would have been nice to address them right away via the portal, in my opinion! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Good for them! Glad to know you believe they are doing what they are paid to do. Also, you do know that this website is literally created so that fans can post their thoughts and opinions right?? 

But to answer your question, did we get a knock down shooter? Someone like Norman? No. Did we get a legit PG to run the offense and lead the team? Possibly but looking like he will be ineligible. Did we get a 5 man to protect the paint? Something that we were absolutely brutal at last year. Probably not. Amar had 17 blocks in 32 games at the Juco level. 

Like I said in my last post that you must not have read, these can be addressed by players getting better, adapting to new positions, and many other ways. Just would have been nice to address them right away via the portal, in my opinion! 

I don't disagree with your last paragraph at all.  My only point is that anyone is naive to believe that the staff didn't try to address these needs!  If it is your opinion that we could have picked up someone in the portal that could have truly helped the team and we elected not to do so, I guess I need to respect your opinion!