SiouxSports.com Forum

Backyard Rink

On 10/24/2022 at 10:34 AM, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

I am thinking about putting in a backyard ice rink this winter. I have done a bit of reading and on using a liner vs. not using a liner and just packing snow, etc.  Does anyone on this forum do a rink?  And if so, thoughts on how best to do it? 

Liner. YES. White.

If its bigger than 10x20... and smaller than 60x150...... liner.

I like Blue Lake plastics but many good options.. 

Measure the slope.. It looks flat right.. its not flat.

Measure slope and plan boards accordingly. A Lazer level at dusk will save you so much time and $$

Make a homeboni. pvc, some couplings, an old towel.. 

I've used clear without much issues. White probably works about better though. Some people prefer just using snow. Cheaper but it takes longer and won't last as long. 

Agree on the slope, always more than you think. 

Zam works well, also peaceful to do at night. 

Have extra pucks, they have a tendency to disappear until spring. 

• Upvote 1

Built a rink once on the front yard at the ATO house over Christmas break. Not a professional job by any means. Shoveled all the snow to the edges of the yard to create the boards and laid down some poly. Put a layer of water down every night when I got home from bartending over the next 2-3 weeks. Cut a tractor tire in half and and froze each half into the ice on each end. 

Had hero status when everyone came back from break. It was smooth enough to skate on but not a lot of room so most of the 2 a.m. games were boot hockey. Found foam pucks a couple blocks away when the snow melted.in the spring. 

We had a game going one night/morning and a UND cop pulled over and we thought he was going to tell us to wrap it up or keep the noise down....he said "my kids have been bugging me to put a rink in the backyard and just want to take a look at what you did here.:D

On 10/24/2022 at 10:34 AM, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

I am thinking about putting in a backyard ice rink this winter. I have done a bit of reading and on using a liner vs. not using a liner and just packing snow, etc.  Does anyone on this forum do a rink?  And if so, thoughts on how best to do it? 

Where abouts are you located... because in our "local" area there is a vast difference between the different climates.

In the north valley you will have a much different experience than the banana belt of Bismarck area and even more so from the western part of the state.

I know you're not in northern MN because each city will issue you a rink at mortgage closing there.

59 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

I might have access to a laser level so I will be finding out soon what the situation is. 

Yep Minot should be great 

Slope Slope Slope Slope Slope 

It's amazing how muchvslope is there, if you want 4 to 6 inches of skatable ice... many people toss up some 2x8... Nope that's a disaster waiting to happen. 

My "Flat" backyard ended up with 24" of water in one corner and 4 inches of ice in the opposite.

Which brings up a distant #2 concern.... BRACING.

Perfectly flat and can get by with 2x6 or 2x8... can be staked... if put up before ground freeze I've seen wooden stakes work... barely.

I use the 12 or 18" metal concrete form stake/rod things. Spaced at short intervals those have seemed to work up to the 2x12 boards.

Anything more and I brace with angle braces...

If ...when... you end up with deep areas... there are different ideas to "fill" the area to reduce water...

bags of mulch... dirt... all work pallets covered in bags of dirt..

best I've used .... foam insulation panels.

It sounds like alot of work.. it is... its not cheap.

100% worth it.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:18 AM, planetearth said:

Anyone do anything special for a kickboard over the white tarp?

I got especially elaborate one year and designed a board system that I hoped would protect the liner I basically firred out the frame form the boards this  allowed the liner to be filled then the plywood to be screwed onto the wall frames except for the bottom 10 inches do no screws went through liner... then after frozen I topped it off.

In "Theory" it worked but in the end still ended up just getting a new liner every year due to snags, punctures, and ooopsies from the install or takedown.

Also ended up being kind of percussionistic when pucks hit the bottom of the walls.