SiouxSports.com Forum

P.O.'d in G.F.

Reggie Dunlap

Last night shortly after the Sioux beat Alaska 4-2 me and a few buddies were hanging out by our seats just waiting for the rush out of the ralph to die down a little when we were pointed at by an usher and summoned to come down to talk to her. We were told by her that an older couple that had been sitting in front of us had complained to her that, get this , we were "to loud and rowdy" and that they either wanted to be moved to other seats or that we be moved or kicked out!! I remember seeing this couple give us a few looks during the game but all we were doing was cheering and chanting along with the game's action. We might have been a little louder than most of the others around us but it wasn't close to being rude, in fact, I can honestly say we didn't chant or holler anything obscene or vulgar towards anyone. So what's going on at the ralph when a group is basically told they will be "moved or kicked out" for being "too LOUD" at a div. 1 college hockey game, I was so PO'd I had to walk away from the usher before I really got in trouble. Who's taking over this rink anyway, it sure isnt the real fan who goes cuz he loves UND hockey, I swear half the crowd doesn't even stand up when the sioux score a goal, I'de like to remind them that this ain't no opera!! I'm done venting but would like some feedback on what u think about the atmosphere in "THE RALPH". GO SIOUX

Last night shortly after the Sioux beat Alaska 4-2 me and a few buddies were hanging out by our seats just waiting for the rush out of the ralph to die down a little when we were pointed at by an usher and summoned to come down to talk to her.  We were told by her that an older couple that had been sitting in front of us had complained to her that, get this , we were "to loud and rowdy" and that they either wanted to be moved to other seats or that we be moved or kicked out!!  I remember seeing this couple give us a few looks during the game but all we were doing was cheering and chanting along with the game's action.  We might have been a little louder than most of the others around us but it wasn't close to being  rude, in fact, I can honestly say we didn't chant or holler anything obscene or vulgar towards anyone.  So what's going on at the ralph when a group is basically told they will be "moved or kicked out" for being "too LOUD" at a div. 1 college hockey game,  I was so PO'd I had to walk away from the usher before I really got in trouble.  Who's taking over this rink anyway, it sure isnt the real fan who goes cuz he loves UND hockey,  I swear half the crowd doesn't even stand up when the sioux score a goal, I'de like to remind them that this ain't no opera!!  I'm done venting but would like some feedback on what u think about the atmosphere in "THE RALPH".          GO SIOUX

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unbelievable. I can see if fans are cussing and spilling brews. However, loud cheering for any team is what makes the sport so special.

On another note, my kids were hanging over the tunnel before the game, with a raft of other kids. Some 3.2 cop comes up and shoos them all away. Says they can't be there. My boy asks for the rationale. The guy says that the players "don't want to be bothered." My kid says, "the players aren't even there!" The guy threatened to boot him out if he didn't follow his directions. I looked over there and thought it odd that there was not a raft of kids hanging out.

Fuddy dud old folks and security guys with a control complex ought be be given their own partial section.

We sat next to some guy and woman who spent all night looking for people in the crowd. We'd be craning to see that action their way, and they were looking back over us hoping to see, or be seen. We went particularly nuts in cheering just to try and get them in the fever. No such luck.

"Where?"

"See, over there. Up from the railing. She' wearing a blue sweater."

All the while while the Sioux were taking to the Wolves in the second period.

Unbelievable. Something's gotta give with these non-fans and bone-headed guards and ushers.

Ralph? Kin you hear us Ralph?

Fuddy dud old folks and security guys with a control complex ought be be given their own partial section.

That is a great idea. Let's get rid of the student section, season ticket holders, and the sioux club. Let's just make half of the arena for fans who want to actually enjoy the game and be part of the action. The other half could be for all of the prudes who are there just to be social and feel important by talking about their great season tickets for that one game thingy when they go to work on monday.

Keep cheering away - the day they kick someone like you out is the day I give notification that they can stick my season tickets as well as my contribution with a red hot poker. If it truly was a problem, the elderly couple should have had the decency of asking you to mellow out but going to a usher is a joke. I suppose it is that time of year when we get letters in our seats about how to act at a game..

in some ways the betty is the same as the ralph. my friends and i sit front row right behind the opposing teams bench and 3/4 of the time we cheer for the sioux, while the rest is spent razzing the coaches. we never swear, are never rude, and most of the time the coaches will talk with us before, during and after the game. However, every game we get at least one member of security sitting next to us to make sure we don't cause any trouble.

The difference at the betty is that the fans around us (mostly older fans) absolutely love us. Basketball at UND hasn't turned into the social event that hockey has and it keeps those fans who just want to be seen out. Take the lower bowl at the Ralph give it to the die-hards. Then put the socialites upstairs and throw a couple cameras up there so they can be seen on the big screen and call all of their friends to plan the frat party that night.

Last night shortly after the Sioux beat Alaska 4-2 me and a few buddies were hanging out by our seats just waiting for the rush out of the ralph to die down a little when we were pointed at by an usher and summoned to come down to talk to her.
Edited by Goon

Don't worry Reggie they can't kick you out of a sporting event for cheering.

If the arena staff kicked you out of a sporting event that would be my definition of ridiculous, especially if you not using profannity or obscene words. I would tell the people that complained to go pound sand up their @$$...

Not only can they, they will, and have before. A search of the Gopher series threads will show how ridiculous the REA security/staff has become. I guess the people that are there to watch hockey bother those at the game busy being socialites or doing business. :D

Not only can they, they will, and have before. A search of the Gopher series threads will show how ridiculous the REA security/staff has become. I guess the people that are there to watch hockey bother those at the game busy being socialites or doing business. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, there are a number of security out there that suck. But JR and Russ seem to be cool guys.

I had quite the "fans" sitting next to me on Saturday night too. Two 40ish females who spent the whole night discussing holiday baking and what kind of cookies they were making. They had no clue that Parise was in the nets that night or Massen got hurt. They didn't cheer or have a clue about the game. They spent the whole night talking and annoying everyone else around them. It was just an expensive night of socializing for them.

that happens eveywhere you go no matter what sporting event your at. not every person at the game is a die hard and so many people go to events to socialize, myself,NO but many do, as long as they do not bother me i could care less, but the others who have a problem with cheering can kiss my ass..go sioux!!!

I had quite the "fans" sitting next to me on Saturday night too.  Two 40ish females who spent the whole night discussing holiday baking and what kind of cookies they were making.  They had no clue that Parise was in the nets that night or Massen got hurt.  They didn't cheer or have a clue about the game. They spent the whole night talking and annoying everyone else around them. It was just an expensive night of socializing for them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had quite the "fans" sitting next to me on Saturday night too.  Two 40ish females who spent the whole night discussing holiday baking and what kind of cookies they were making.  They had no clue that Parise was in the nets that night or Massen got hurt.  They didn't cheer or have a clue about the game. They spent the whole night talking and annoying everyone else around them. It was just an expensive night of socializing for them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well....Were they MILF's?

This is the problem with the New Ralph. We had the same problem down at Mariucci when it first opened. You get every stiff in the world out to see the new arena and the school bends over backwards to please them because they donate a little money to the school. My favorite road trip of the year use to be G.F. and going to the old Ralph. The place would be jumping 15 minutes before the game started and the atmosphere would never change. Sure we got heckled for being gopher fans, but it was always fun and expected. The last couple years has not been the same and I think it hurts your team. The rent a cops are also a joke. Last year we where told between periods to sit down during the game or remove or jerseys because people might get upset with fans from MN cheering (and he wasn't kidding). We looked at the guy and laughed when a Sioux fan stood up and told the cop he would be more upset to see actually hockey fans sitting on their hands like they where at mass! Bring back the old rinks!

This is the problem with the New Ralph.  We had the same problem down at  Mariucci when it first opened.  You get every stiff in the world out to see the new arena and the school bends over backwards to please them because they donate a little money to the school.  My favorite road trip of the year use to be G.F. and going to the old Ralph.  The place would be jumping 15 minutes before the game started and the atmosphere would never change.  Sure we got heckled for being gopher fans, but it was always fun and expected.  The last couple years has not been the same and I think it hurts your team.  The rent a cops are also a joke.  Last year we where told between periods to sit down during the game or remove or jerseys because people might get upset with fans from MN cheering (and he wasn't kidding).  We looked at the guy and laughed when a Sioux fan stood up and told the cop he would be more upset to see actually hockey fans sitting on their hands like they where at mass!  Bring back the old rinks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

two years ago i had the opportunity to take my dad to a game at the new ralph. i believe it was against st. cloud, the sioux won the game. my dad had been taking me to the games at the old ralph since i was 4 (now 26). my dad is a die hard sioux hockey fan, but doesn't have the opportunity to go to games all that often. after the game, i was jacked up, sioux won, it was a good game. we got back to the car, and i turned and asked him, "so what'd ya think?" he looks at me and says "thanks, but i coulda stayed home and watched that on tv and felt more atmosphere. i appreciate the gesture, but until they go back to the old barn, i probably won't go again" that's when i realized how horsesh!t the "new" hockey fan is. while i was watching the game, my dad was watching all the rich and famous of grand forks B S ing with each other during the game. all the wives sitting in their plush leather seats talking to each other about how special they feel that their husband had the hook up on some seats to "The Ralph". i agree with whoever said, leave the lower bowl for the students and die hards, put the uppity biotches in the upper deck, and let's get some god damn college hockey atmosphere back into the grandest stage in the land. the "new" sioux fans suck and even though their contributions are appreciated, give up your tickets if you don't want to go and cheer, leave the bull$%!# for mon-fri 8-5. all in favor of the old ralph...........

The sad thing is, the top half of 307 and 310 were completely empty both Friday and Saturday nights, and there was some space in 108, 109, 308, and 309. :silly:

"Cookie recipe" fans are just as bad as empty student seats in my world: Neither make useful noise.