SiouxSports.com Forum

SCSU vs. UND

01grad

I don't know what others think, but Smaby really needs to work on his skating while he is one on one with a guy.  He got beat at least three times around the outside tonight and wasn't even moving his feet, just trying to push the guy (and not doing well at that either.  He better not be like this next year when he will be one of our more experienced d-men.  If Blais were here and he played like this he'd be benched right now.  Any thoughts on this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My thoughts are ... give the negative BS a rest for the night.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man Wisconsin is good!!

I saw them play in person not too long ago. Thats one good team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you like it when opposing fans come to POI and spout off? Then try to be a bigger man and don't do it here. USCHO welcomes this type of behavior and it is far more appropriate there.

I thought all around we had a great game!

Our passing, for the most part was good. We seemed to just about have our way with the Huskies. We also played solid D and beat the Huskies to the puck.

Also of note: Our forechecking was tremendous and we won a LOT of faceoffs.

I was honestly not expecting such a great start, but was super excited to see it. Their passing was very crisp, and for most of the game, they really made St. Cloud look bad. They played well, and it was great to see them get rewarded.

It was also nice to see Prp get a couple, and that third line put some points up. Zajac's goal was simply money! That's the type of play I've been looking for all year.

All around great performance, top to bottom.

PS...get the trolls off the board

PPS...who taunts after a team wins??? Not classy at all...

Saagard, you are a great opposing fan that we enjoy hearing from (at least in my opinion), and hit the nail on the head.

TH: Closes by promising to shave off his mustache if the team scores 5 goals against a WCHA team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tim almost had to buy some shave cream tonight. :) The boys came out on fire tonight. Hope they can repeat the performance Saturday night.

The player of the game had to be Prpich, two goals and a couple of chances for the hat. He definitely played with an edge. Really enjoyed it when he was ridden into the Saint Cloud net, started pushing and shoving with the D-man, and just when it looked like they were going to drop the gloves he turns around takes drink out of Montgomery's water bottle and skates away. :D

Serious hockey question.

How do you guys rate Prpich's career so far?  Seems like he's had the potential to be a top notch player but never seems to find constancy in his performance.

When Prpich was recruited he came with 2 outstanding statistics/honors. Co-MVP of his league and a monster penalty minute bank. In fact, I think they actually kept him in the bin a couple of weeks after the season ended.

So I thought he was probably a good character guy but was very concerned if he could stay on the ice at this level. His first year proved that he could play, and he didn't rack up the PM's that history said he could. However, he was always agitating and at times that got him in trouble. He showed some offensive skills at times.

Certain Sioux players have been put in various roles and some have performed admirably in those roles over the years. McMahon is one who comes to mind. Generally a checking line center who had average offensive numbers, this year he's recently been put in as a winger on a scoring line and has had a bit more success offensively. He played his role before, and now he's changing that role successfully. If I remember McMahon and Prpich were very good friends in the BCHL. Prpich could be one of those guys who, because of the agitating nature of his game (see last season vs. Vanek?) is cut out for a checking line player with some offensive ability.

One does wonder if he doesn't enjoy agitating more than he enjoys scoring goals. He loves to agitate, and even admitted on the post-game last night that drinking out of the goalies water bottle didn't get the reaction that he hoped it would.

Having heard reliably from a source close enough to know when Prp came in that he may not possess the speed to even play at this level, I think he's had a good career so far. Personally, I like his attitude on the ice. I wish he'd control the top 10% of his agitudinality and put that towards offense. A few less pointless penalties and a few more goals and he'd be everything we could want, I think.

Since I'm no longer tired after cheering my head off, there are a few players who didn't score goals that deserve mention:

1. Phil - He played solidly tonight with the exception of what truly can be considered a weak goal. He came out way too far and got caught. I am not saying he should stay under the crossbar all the time, but it did seem a bit too easy. Couple that with the lack of D anywhere near the SCSU player, and it was not avoidable.

2. Bina- This guy was unbelievable. Yes, he did get an assist on the night, but his defensive prowess was awesome. He must have blocked 5 shots at least. I LOVE this guy's defensive posture. Small, but willing to hit, not so long of a reach, but willing to block shots at will. If you ask me, Bina, if his play continues could end up wearing a letter on his jersey in two years... if he gets the playing time.

3. Greene- Did he get a single penalty tonight? He played VERY VERY well tonight. He blocked a shot and got up slowly, I noticed he returned later so no worries.

4. Porter- Ok, put aside two unbelievable moves, he didn't score. HOWEVER, on the penalty kill, only Prpich was more effective. His jump was there, his game was too. He only needed a goal to make it into the top games of his season so far.

Other notables: Massen had a decent night for the time he had on the ice. He shot it when he had to and did relatively well. Foyt played, which will make Federov happy, but he wasn't a factor really.

Let's beat them again!!!!!