SiouxSports.com Forum

St Cloud State football attendance

Let'sGoHawks!

Less than 3000 fans at their playoff game. How many of those were Sioux fans? How can a community of 60,000, a school the size of UND or a bit bigger not come out to the first St. Cloud playoff game since 1989? The stadium only seats 4000 to 5000. I feel bad for the St. Cloud players, especially the seniors to have to not only end their careers, but to do it at "HOME" with the anemic turnout of St. Cloud fans. Throughout the game, the Sioux players urged the crowd on for noise as if they were at home. Good for the Sioux, shame on the city of St. Cloud and the surrouding area as well as St. Cloud State University.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game yesterday with a friend of mine who went to SCSU....he said that they never had a good turnout for football/hockey because nobody cared about sports on that campus....he said it was "pathetic" that Sioux fans outnumbered SCSU fans...

Did anybody else stand in line at Will Call...what a joke...one guy running the will call line when you could walk right up to general admission.....

Less than 3000 fans at their playoff game.  How many of those were Sioux fans?  How can a community of 60,000, a school the size of UND or a bit bigger not come out to the first St. Cloud playoff game since 1989?  The stadium only seats 4000 to 5000.  I feel bad for the St. Cloud players, especially the seniors to have to not only end their careers, but to do it at "HOME" with the anemic turnout of St. Cloud fans.  Throughout the game, the Sioux players urged the crowd on for noise as if they were at home.  Good for the Sioux, shame on the city of St. Cloud and the surrouding area as well as St. Cloud State University.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a SCSU fan, I AGREE. There was no promotion for the game. No St Cloud Times article, no promotion by the university. As I said on a previous post, the casual fan did not even know when the game was. I am not embarrassed to be a SCSU fan but I felt very bad for our team. The SCSU students are very apathetic when it comes to football. Our market is tough with many local sports fans holding season tickets for Minnesota sports teams and SJU having a gate of 10,000 at their home game. I am tired of excuses, in fact I am pissed.

Good luck in Michigan.

As a SCSU fan, I AGREE.  There was no promotion for the game.  No St Cloud Times article, no promotion by the university.  As I said on a previous post, the casual fan did not even know when the game was.  I am not embarrassed to be a SCSU fan but I felt very bad for our team.  The SCSU students are very apathetic when it comes to football.  Our market is tough with many local sports fans holding season tickets for Minnesota sports teams and SJU having a gate of 10,000 at their home game.  I am tired of excuses, in fact I am pissed. 

Good luck in Michigan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would it be fair to say that the responsibility for the complete lack of promotion falls squarely on Kurtz's shoulders? I've heard some SCSU fans complain about him in the past, and I can definitely see why.

Do UND fans feel it is the resposibility of the AD to get the seats filled?  UND draws well for football.  Is it a difference in the SC and SF markets?  Or is the UND athletic department good at promoting UND athletics?  Even when SCSU boosters see Kurtz at games we can't even get a "hi".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say it's the responsibility of the a.d. to make sure that there is a certain degree of marketing of a game--particularly a playoff game. If there are print, radio and t.v. ads and people still don't turn out, then of course the problems run deeper than the public simply being unaware that the game is taking place. In St. Cloud's case, it sounds as though there simply wasn't any marketing, and that has to be Kurtz's fault. At UND, there is a marketing coordinator. I'm not sure if SCSU has a similar position, but if not, then such a position needs to be in the athletic budget or the problem will never be solved.

I have family in St. Cloud, so I am very familiar with the challenges that SCSU has in terms of lack of local television and competition from sports in the Twin Cities and St. John's--problems which we at UND do not have to face. However, while SCSU may never get to the point where they a) have a facility which can hold 10,000 to 13,000; and b) can average 9000 to 10,000 per game like UND can, it should certainly be a reastic goal to consistently sell-out a 4200 seat stadium. Perhaps with better marketing, and better yet, a new a.d., that can be achieved.

It's great being a Sioux fan, because there is such a huge diehard following. Weather you go on hockey, football or basketball trips UND always has fan support. I think if you compare UND to other D-2 schools the same size like Duluth, St. Cloud, Makato or NDSU, you'll find we have a bigger following on the road. Not saying fans are better, just saying we have a huge following. You can go to the East coast for hockey or Colorado, there is always a big group of Sioux supporters. For Sioux fans its normal, but in places like Mankato and St. Cloud people get impressed by the turnout.

I guy in St. Cloud told me he thought he was in Grand Forks. And I guess they dont tailgate in St. Cloud either (except Sioux fans)

very embarassing since the "official" attendance was revealed as around 2500?? I'd say there were 1000 Sioux fans at least and probably close to 55% SCSU -45% UND. ON THE UP SIDE...They have a great work-study program at Jan Brady State...they managed to wrangle up a DOZEN people to "demonstrate" this time around...not too impressive...especially since they obviously keep the SAME SIGNS in storage for the 4-5 trips UND makes to JANLAND every year :lol:

St. Johns gets 10,000 at a home game?!?!?  Is that true or a stretch?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

St. John's averaged 7800 on the year, which would be pretty good for most dII programs, let alone a dIII. What is interesting about their attendance is that for their games against MIAC opponents within about one hour drive, they draw from 9400 to 10,400. But for teams a little farther away, such as Concordia, they draw in the 5000's. That tells me that they are probably the beneficiary of having a lot of opposing fans living in the twin cities come to several of their games (Gustavus, Bethel, St. Thomas, etc.), since in terms of importance, the Concordia game should have been one of their biggest crowds but obviously was not.

Hedberg and his players deserve better! Problem is...after this debacle in attendance...I wonder if they will be on the down side of consideration for hosting any future post season games. That is assuming they can continue the direction of the program.

If I were an athlete considering UND or SCSU the game atmosphere alone would convince me to choose UND.

very embarassing since the "official" attendance was revealed as around 2500??  I'd say there were 1000 Sioux fans at least and probably close to 55% SCSU -45% UND.  ON THE UP SIDE...They have a great work-study program at Jan Brady State...they managed to wrangle up a DOZEN people to "demonstrate" this time around...not too impressive...especially since they obviously keep the SAME SIGNS in storage for the 4-5 trips UND makes to JANLAND every year :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please reserve the JBSU for U of M hockey fans. I think is a funny nickname when used by a UM backer. This is not a hockey board and it is not a fitting nickname comming from a UND fan. You can do better than that. Also, don't let the 10 protestors bother you. It's a free country. UND has the right to have whatever mascot they want and others have the right to protest UND's decision.

Good luck in Michigan.

I wonder if the NCAA is upset, they got 2500 in St. Cloud and could have gotten 13,000 at the Alerus...hurt the NCAA portion of the gate as well...interesting to see if they put that as a requirement in the future...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that was true, then there's no way GVSU would have traveled to Bentley last year, or would have GVSU travel to Winona or Northwood. They want teams to go out and earn the Home Field Advantage, even if their opponents fans will travel well enuff to nuetralize it pretty much. :):lol:

If that was true, then there's no way GVSU would have traveled to Bentley last year, or would have GVSU travel to Winona or Northwood. They want teams to go out and earn the Home Field Advantage, even if their opponents fans will travel well enuff to nuetralize it pretty much. :):lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think you'll see expected attendance factor into playoff hosting anytime soon. The NCAA has shifted away from the bid process that was used in the 80's and has decided, rightfully so, that the higher seed will host provided they have an adequate venue. I thought it was unfair in the 80's when the Bison would basically buy home playoff games, and it would be hypocritical for me to change me mind now that it might benefit UND. I'd rather the Sioux earn their home games rather than buy them.

That's not true - NDSU never got home field when they didn't deserve it.

I've gone through GREAT PAINS to explain this to UND fans and luckily still have the facts from the last time a UND fans were making this claim.

-----------------

In 1981, NDSU was ranked #6 and played on the road until the championship game. They were forced to travel to a team rated lower than them.

In 1982, NDSU was ranked #2 in the nation. One home game. One away game (at a team ranked lower than them).

In 1983, NDSU was ranked #5 in the nation. One home game - against the team ranked #4.

In 1984, NDSU had one early season loss but was ranked #1 and got all home games.

In 1985, NDSU was ranked #7 and played all their games on the road.

In 1986, NDSU was undefeated and ranked #1 and got all home games.

In 1988, NDSU was undefeated and ranked #1 and got all home games.

In 1989, NDSU was ranked #17 and got one home game against Edinboro who was ranked #7.

In 1990, NDSU was undefeated and ranked #1 and got all home games.

OK, looking at those you could say that maybe NDSU got the home field twice when they shouldn't have (Towson in 1983 and Edinboro in 1989) but you'd be wrong. The thing is, the polls were done before the last game - and NDSU won their last game all these years. In 1989, Edinboro lost their last game while NDSU punked UND. In 1983, NDSU won their last game and Towson beat a 3-8 team 10-3. Couldn't it be that this was enough to flip NDSU to 4th seed and make Towson the 5th seed? Anyway, I'm not even sure the bid was a factor back in 1983.

NDSU played in 27 playoff games in that time and went 23-4. NDSU made it to the championship game seven times and won five championships. The only years NDSU played all their playoff games at home were those years they were ranked #1. Seven away games. Seven neutral site games. Thirteen home games. If NDSU was buying home games, can somebody explain why NDSU had to travel seven times? If anything, NDSU had to travel more than they should have had to.

It's time to quit repeating the crap about NDSU buying home games once and for all. Polish your trophy instead of trying to throw mud on NDSU's.

With all of our glory that UND is bestowing upon Grand Forks, I find we should remember some teams that we beat up on for years.  Look how well these guys are doing in the JV league

http://www.morningside.edu/mustangs/footba...ex.cfm#playoffs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed that too. After Morningside left the NCC, they didn't even field a varsity team in 2001. The up side of that is that they made the playoffs this year with just three seniors on the roster.

Hedberg and his players deserve better!  Problem is...after this debacle in attendance...I wonder if they will be on the down side of consideration for hosting any future post season games.  That is assuming they can continue the direction of the program. 

If I were an athlete considering UND or SCSU the game atmosphere alone would convince me to choose UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the SCSU program continues in this winning direction without better support, Hedberg should leave the program for greener pastures. Maybe that's a year or two down the road.