SiouxSports.com Forum

St Cloud State football attendance

Let'sGoHawks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not true - NDSU never got home field when they didn't deserve it.

I've gone through GREAT PAINS to explain this to UND fans and luckily still have the facts from the last time a UND fans were making this claim.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess my original post came across different that I intended. What I meant to say is if NDSU played someone of a similar seed, that team didn't have much of a chance at getting the game at home since NDSU would offer a much bigger guarantee to the NCAA. A recent example would be the Delta St.-NDSU game. I'm sure that game would have been in Fargo if the system used in the 80's were still used today. Since money doesn't seem so important now, the NCAA went to a 3rd or 4th criteria to give the game to Delta St.

Since you mentioned rankings, I wouldn't mind seeing DII national polls eliminated since they don't mean anything anyway. Being that'll never happen, it would nice if all national polls didn't come up until later in the season like the BCS rankings. That would reduce the bias towards the preseason rankings (how else can you explain USC being ranked so much higher than OU or Auburn?).

I remember some of those bison playoff games. I remember the REPORTED attendance being like 18,000 when the place only held 10,000. Go figure. You had the ag. dept. doing the math. Well at least with all those inaccurate numbers they were able to justify building a dome that holds 18,000. Well it's nice to see now that there DI they can get it almost 2/3 filled for a game. And never once did they host a lowly DII playoff game in there. But did you know they beat montana-TECH.

NDSU never announced attendance for a playoff game of 18000. 13000-15000 was the most they ever announced.

Pretty sad that you have to lie about NDSU to make yourself feel good about UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty sad that you have to run a message board which seems to have two purposes, ripping on Grand Forks and ripping on UND, to feel good about NDSU.

I'm going to take the middle ground here:

Why even bring up NDSU? This conversation is about SCSU attendance (and UND on this site).

Next, honestly, is claiming 15000 in a 10000 seat stadium much better than claiming 18000 in a 10000?

That said, folks, let it go.

Diggler, all you have to do to stop me posting here is this: quit making stuff up.

The Sicatoka happens to be one of the guys to whom I explained the playoff situation to a couple years back, but what does he do? Rather than step up like a man and correct a fellow UND fan, he comes up with a brand new lie that Dacotah Field had a maximum capacity of 10000!

So since he's so fond of rhetorical questions, I'll post this one: Sicatoka, which is worse behavior: repeating a lie -or- knowing the truth but remaining silent in the face of a lie?

The Sicatoka happens to be one of the guys to whom I explained the playoff situation to a couple years back, but what does he do? Rather than step up like a man and correct a fellow UND fan, he comes up with a brand new lie that Dacotah Field had a maximum capacity of 10000!

So since he's so fond of rhetorical questions, I'll post this one: Sicatoka, which is worse behavior: repeating a lie -or- knowing the truth but remaining silent in the face of a lie?

You did? I don't recall that. Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else?

As far as capacities, Dacotah Field had a capacity of 10000 up to 1972. It was expanded to 13000 at that point. Forgive me for that oversight. (The older number was stuck in my head.)

And all that after taking tony's side and asking why even bring up NDSU.

I mentioned playoff attendance being reported at 18,000. I really meant to say regular season games being reported at 18,000. What a joke. In fact, looking at the bison program from Sept. 1, 1990 a game played against Indiana, PA there was something interesting I came across. It says in that prorgam that on Oct. 14, 1989 a game against Northern Colorado, the bison set a record for attendence at 19,000. I guess I was off 1,000. So playoff or no playoff the bison lied for years about the attendence to the ncaa to make things look really swell. I can't believe that the ncaa bought all of this. The funny thing is when there had to be a public apology made in the paper about lying about attendence. Were talking about increasing the numbers 7,000-8,000 or more. Hect it probably helped with recruiting and everything else when people heard you were getting 18,000 for a game. Perhaps one of the biggest scams ever in DII. All the records for attendance for bison games are all even numbers also, 18,000, 18,500, 19,000. You think they could have made it look better by saying like, 19,241 or something.

Page 8, 2004 Bison media guide:

DACOTAH FIELD (Estimated)

19,000, vs. N. Colorado (1989)

18,500, vs. South Dakota (1989)

18,500, vs. Minn. St.-Mankato (1989)

18,500, vs. N. Michigan (1989)

18,400, vs. St. Cloud State (1988)

FARGODOME (Actual Count)

19,046, vs. North Dakota (2002)

19,020, vs. North Dakota (2000)

19,006, vs. North Dakota (1998)

18,760, vs. North Dakota (1994)

18,600, vs. North Dakota (1996)

18400+ in 13000 seat Dacotah Field.

Uh, tony...

BTW, I would first worry about the lies spewed on your board 1st, especially on regards to ones the JBB. Ah who cares, once again we are still playing football and they are not!!

Back to the subject, I am still in disbelief over that attendance last Sat. I wouldn't doubt St Cloud might have as many fans tonight at the Ralph. Well, not that many but will be closer than it should be.

Uh, they were round numbers because NDSU estimated attendance based on what they thought the capacity was. At the UNC game, attendance was well over capacity due to people standing around the field.

When somebody had a screaming fit about the capacity, they ended up concluding that 15500 could sit in the stadium. Personally, I think we packed more into the student section than they give us credit for, but no way could the stadium seat 18,000. 16000 maybe including SRO.

To recap:

1. It's not true that NDSU bought home games for the playoffs.

2. It is not true that NDSU claimed anywhere near 18000 for a playoff game... ever.

3. It is not true that Dacotah Field's final capacity was 10000.

4. It is not true that Dacotah Field's final capacity was 13000.

5. It IS true that NDSU's final seating capacity was 15,500. It is also true that there is no way there were 19000 at the UNC game.

6. It is not true that the NCAA gave NDSU home games in the playoffs because of attendance figures... it's not like anybody else in DII had bigger crowds.

Man, that's five "it was an honest mistake but how dare you point it out"-type statements in one thread.

Bye, bye tony. It's your own school that is giving the estimates of 19,000 for the UNC game. Are you saying we shouldn't listen to what your school says? If so, who should we listen to?

Anyways have fun ripping on *UND on your board even though you no longer talk about them.

Straight from the Bison media guide:

DACOTAH FIELD (Estimated)

19,000, vs. N. Colorado (1989)

18,500, vs. South Dakota (1989)

18,500, vs. Minn. St.-Mankato (1989)

18,500, vs. N. Michigan (1989)

18,400, vs. St. Cloud State (1988)

Four of those numbers in 1989 and the fifth in 1988.

What was going on at NDSU and in Fargo about that time?

I'd guess they had a guy who really couldn't estimate crowd size doing the estimating.

But wasn't that about the time the lobbying for building FargoDome was going on too? FargoDome opened in 1992.

I mentioned playoff attendance being reported at 18,000.  I really meant to say regular season games being reported at 18,000.  What a joke.  In fact, looking at the bison program from Sept. 1, 1990 a game played against Indiana, PA there was something interesting I came across.  It says in that prorgam that on Oct. 14, 1989 a game against Northern Colorado, the bison set a record for attendence at 19,000.  I guess I was off 1,000.  So playoff or no playoff the bison lied for years about the attendence to the ncaa to make things look really swell.  I can't believe that the ncaa bought all of this.  The funny thing is when there had to be a public apology made in the paper about lying about attendence.  Were talking about increasing the numbers 7,000-8,000 or more.  Hect it probably helped with recruiting and everything else when people heard you were getting 18,000 for a game.  Perhaps one of the biggest scams ever in DII.  All the records for attendance for bison games are all even numbers also, 18,000, 18,500, 19,000.  You think they could have made it look better by saying like, 19,241 or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm....... I surely haven't seen "estimated" attendance in recent years (such as 2001)- 13,500 in the Alerus

Stadium: Alerus Center        Attendance: 13500

Kickoff time: 1:30 pm  End of Game: 4:40 pm  Total elapsed time: 3hr 10m

Officials: Referee: John Lieser; Umpire: Mike Carr; Linesman: Mike Trewick;

Line judge: Gary Putz; Field judge: Mark Gelle; Side judge: Dale Freese;

Scorer: Dani Hanson;

Pot, meet kettle. :lol:

Someone estimated 13500, in a brand new stadium in its first season hosting the eventual National Champion, with a listed capacity of 13500? Really? :lol:

The only 13500 I see in the season (2001) you linked to is for NDSU and there's no "estimated" for that one. No other number is 13500 for that year. The 2003 NDSU number isn't an estimate either (12-something). Seems like real counts to me.

T-bone,

I realize it is force of habit for you to come over to our board at the end of the regular season to talk about football, cause there is nothing to talk about anymore on your board, but seriously. The numbers don't lie--if it sat 13,000, 10,000, or 5,000---your school said 18,500, 18,000, etc. You tip-toed around the point that they padded the numbers by talking about how we messed up the Total Capacity of Dacotah Field. Big deal--you guys were still off 5,000!! That is unless your SRO is 4000-6000 people. :lol:

Scoring Summary--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scoring Summary (Final)

North Alabama (13-1) vs. North Dakota (12-1)

Date: Dec 06, 2003 Site: Grand Forks, N.D. Stadium: Alerus Center

Attendance: 9652

We didn't lie about this one I know that! Not that impressive anyway!