SiouxSports.com Forum

Parise Article

dagies

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another Parise article, in the October addition of American Hockey Magazine (can't find it on their web site usahockey.com).

Full page on the last page under American Star. Much of the same as we've been reading (comparisons to father JP, comments from the Mac AAA tourney, etc).

Lou Vairo, head coach of the US National Junior Team, compares him to N. Broten, "He reminded me of Neal Broten at the same age," says Vairo, who considers Broten of the the top three greatest American hockey players.

From the article, The United States Hockey Report, an online scouting service, gushes over Parise's "eye-popping moves and bullet shot," projecting a 40-point freshman season for him a the University of North Dakota.

Regarding the hype, the article ends with, not many have had to prove themselves as often - and as successfully - as Zach Parise has.

Expectations obviously go far beyond those of Sioux fans, I think.

If Zach WERE to have a 40 pt freshman season, then Bochenski would also probably get there. Given that, UND would likely reach the nationals this year, with a 2nd line that will also produce well. I certainly hope its true, as many of us missed watching UND in April last season.

From the article, The United States Hockey Report, an online scouting service, gushes over Parise's "eye-popping moves and bullet shot," projecting a 40-point freshman season for him a the University of North Dakota.

Expectations obviously go far beyond those of Sioux fans, I think.

Sorry Sprig, I'm sticking with my prediction of a team-leading 48 point year for Parise.

LET THE "ZACH ATTACK" BEGIN!!!

Sorry Sprig, I'm sticking with my prediction of a team-leading 48 point year for Parise.

LET THE "ZACH ATTACK" BEGIN!!!

Ok, I'll agree, Sioux fans do have great expectations for this team, and Parise. Only a few hours 'till game time. Time to light it up.

Question: Do you suppose Blais comments comparing Parise with Hrkac and Broten were not so much "hype" as they were calculated comments to help keep Parise motivated to achieve at the highest possible level?

The article, and other comments have shown that Parise drives himself to work hard and to achieve. He is now in an environment with guys who probably don't work quite as hard to polish their skills (what I mean is showing up between classes to shoot pucks, etc), and he is living on his own. For one who is truly gifted it might be easy to begin to slide a little, relying on natural ability to still achieve at a high level, but maybe not the highest possible level (ala Fournier).

DON'T GET ME WRONG! I am not comparing him to Fournier. What I mean as a comparison is that Fournier was obviously talented enough to dominate at the Junior level without developing the kind of work habits that would help him achieve at the D-1 level. By setting lofty comparisons for Parise, it shows the young'un that his potential is truly unlimited and if he achieves at a level below his potential he is leaving untapped ability under the table.

One might say this is putting a lot of pressure on Parise, but Blais does know talent and if he feels Parise can achieve at that level, this might be his way of communicating to Parise that only he (Parise) will limit his achievement at the D-1 level.

And to me, this makes a lot more sense than someone who is just hyping up a recruit.

From what I've read about Parise, I don't think he needs any extra push to motivate him. I think the comments are more of Blais just calling it as he sees it. Plus, he's probably so excited that he finally landed a "blue chip" recruit, that he couldn't contain himself. As we all know, players with Parise's talent are a dime a dozen at other, more prestigious, programs. :D

HERE COME YOUR FIGHTING SIOUX!!!!!!!!

Did anyone see the official stats. I listened to the game and Tim said Jason shot the puck went behind the net and fed it to Andy Schneider for the first goal. Announcer annouced Schneider from Notermann and Spiewak. How did Bochenski who wasn't even on ice get the assist?

If you check + - Jason got credit for being on the ice.

How could they make that change?

Confused in Rochester?

Way to go Sioux!

Did anyone see the official stats. I listened to the game and Tim said Jason shot the puck went behind the net and fed it to Andy Schneider for the first goal. Announcer annouced Schneider from Notermann and Spiewak. How did Bochenski who wasn't even on ice get the assist?

You're right, that was the call. USCHO had the stats as Bochenski also. Would think the official score sheet would have it corrected, but who knows. Usually up to linemates to make sure the referee gets the assists right, isn't it?

Yes, but they announced it Schneider from Notermann and Spiewak on the PA. #7 wasn't even on ice for the +- calculation and yet official score sheet has it Bochenski. I don't know how the players can get that fixed they don't even know it is wrong. It is not a big deal except at the end when the totals are important..

Good job by all the guys!

I was just wondering how something so obviously wrong becomes official...

Yes, but they announced it Schneider from Notermann and Spiewak on the PA. #7 wasn't even on ice for the +- calculation and yet official score sheet has it Bochenski. I don't know how the players can get that fixed they don't even know it is wrong. It is not a big deal except at the end when the totals are important..

Good job by all the guys!

I was just wondering how something so obviously wrong becomes official...

When you look at UND's site, the text gives the assist to Notermann but the box score gives it to Bochenski.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/mhocke...RELEASE_ID=1442

Not sure how such a thing goes wrong, but most media outlets (including USCHO and SiouxSports.com) just post the officially released box score. Attempting to correct it wouldn't be a good precedent.

Yes, this was an important win for the Sioux. Honestly, I didn't think they were going to pull it off, but the top line of Fylling-Parise-Bocheski is doing amazingly well. Really, that combination has been magic so far for UND.

BTW, Parise had another 4 point game. 2 goals plus the assists on goals by Fuher & Bochenski. The kid is amazing. This is going to be a fun season!

I agree that this game definitely reminds me of those games where the Sioux owned the third period and would come back in a fury. (Unlike last season ...)

Even though Parise was definitely the "star" this tourney, it's nice that a lot of the other players are taking shots and scoring too. This weekend should be a good confidence builder for the whole team and allow Blais to tinker a bit more.

Nice wins, boys! :D