SiouxSports.com Forum

Team Benches

The Sicatoka

I know many don't ponder such esoteric things as "benches relative to the rink", but I do notice. 

UND is historically a "left change" team. What's that? At the opening faceoff the UND left wing is closest to the UND bench.

I noticed over the weekend that Duluth is a "right change" team (meaning their RW is closest to the bench at opening drop); that means UND plays as it's usual "left change" self at "I'm Soiled" Arena. Alternatively, UMD plays as a right change at REA. 

So, I'm drawing a blank on the rest of the league. (Darn brain.)

Help? 

And I've wondered why UND doesn't stay with "left change" when they are the higher seed at tournament sites (home locker room aside). 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I know many don't ponder such esoteric things as "benches relative to the rink", but I do notice. 

UND is historically a "left change" team. What's that? At the opening faceoff the UND left wing is closest to the UND bench.

I noticed over the weekend that Duluth is a "right change" team (meaning their RW is closest to the bench at opening drop); that means UND plays as it's usual "left change" self at "I'm Soiled" Arena. Alternatively, UMD plays as a right change at REA. 

So, I'm drawing a blank on the rest of the league. (Darn brain.)

Help? 

And I've wondered why UND doesn't stay with "left change" when they are the higher seed at tournament sites (home locker room aside). 

Denver is right

CC changed ends from World Arena, so right

Western is right

St. Cloud is right

Omaha should be canceled with that garbage bench set up and banned from home games

Miami is right

2 hours ago, siouxweet said:

What is the significance of left change or right change?

Not sure if there is one.  Thinking of all the rinks I've been in over the years and it seems almost 50/50.  The score clock in the Agri in Williston will mess with you though.  The Visiting team is displayed on the left and home on the right.   

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

Denver is right

CC changed ends from World Arena, so right

Western is right

St. Cloud is right

Omaha should be canceled with that garbage bench set up and banned from home games

Miami is right

Regarding Omaha, with facing benches, they'd still be something. Based on this photo, they are a "right change" also. 

So everyone in the league is right change but UND. Interesting.

UND has the same "perspective" (left change) on every league game except at Omaha (opposing benches make both teams "right change"). 

I imagine that each bench connects directly to a corresponding locker room. If so, when building a new rink, do the architects ask the current coach if he wants left change or right change? Or do they just build the rink and then the home team discovers their change orientation?