SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches Show. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or USCHO. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

From Joe DeMaggio's in beautiful downtown Grand Forks, Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman are the hosts with Sioux hockey coach Dave Hakstol.

TH: The Sioux are already another man down this week with an injury to Mike Prpich.

DH: There are a couple guys who won

Edited by PCM

Thanks Pat!

It is great to start learning more about Hak. I really hope that he will turn out to be a strong force as Blais was. Many recruits would always say coaching, facilities and tradition are why they choose UND and I hope Hak can keep bringing them in. This is why it is pretty important to have a good year and show people nothing has changed. I read in the Star Tribune the other day about another kid who is interested in either Minnesota, Boston College or Denver. It would be nice to see UND considered again in those choices.

Soar past the Eagles!

DH: I'm going to put some heat on our defensemen. We need them to be solid. They are where we should be strong. We still need to play with reckless abandon and play physically, but we need to stop taking penalties that put us down 5-on-3, penalties that are way over the line. If the defensive corps can do that, it will help the offense and in all other aspects.
Finding this balance is what the season hinges on.

Caller: By time of the WCHA Final Five, do you think that the officiating will be back to the way it usually is?

DH: All the commissioners and officials are fully backing what's happening and they say that they’re not going to change. The problem is: What's a penalty and what isn’t? It's something we have to adjust to because it’s here to stay.

This is a tired old story that we've heard before. Come March, the answer to the callers question will be a resounding "YES".

Caller: Losing to the Gophers is always a big deal. I have a whole new respect for Rory McMahon. Mike Vanelli might have gotten one good punch in. Matt Jones took three punches to the back of the head from Flemming and just pushed him away. It must be hard for a player to take that without retaliating.

DH: Rory leads by example on and off the ice. He did what he had to do. Fighting isn't a big part of college hockey and we can’t do it much because of the rules. Jones is smart enough to know not to retaliate. The guys will play their butts off for Rory this weekend.

I've always liked McMahon. He was the first one to step up in a similar fashion at Yale a few seasons ago when Jones went down with what looked like a cheap shot at the time. Leadership worthy of a "C", but I'm sure the players have a reason for voting the way they do.

TH: I have respect for Vanelli for fighting McMahon. Most Minnesota players won’t drop their gloves. Hats off to Vanelli for doing it.

Right on, TH. Gopher "enforcers" philosophy: Hit 'em when they ain't lookin'..better yet, when their back is completely turned. Then board 'em. :lol: McMahon called Vanelli's bluff on the face-rub BS. Just wish it had happened when it was 3-0, not 5-0.

Thanks, PCM!

Foyt playing center?  Wow.

In any case, Federov and I can bury the hatchet from last season.  Now both Foyt AND Bina get to play :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bina is still on the team? :D:silly:

It doesn't seem like we have the great depth that we normally do. What is Bochenski even doing now? :lol:

Thanks for the recap PCM.

I liked what DH said. He didn't dismiss Sat's loss as "no big deal" but at the same time didn't overreact to it. I think the biggest thing this year is figuring out what is/is not a penalty. If our D can figure it out quickly we should be all right.

I expected a slow start on offense, losing the top two scorers hurts. The talent it to replace them is there, but I expected it to take a few weeks before some players step up.

I liked the comment about Porter on the PP, I can't understand why people think it would be a good idea to have a D on forward during the PP. Porter, Kaip and Massen are the type of player you want in the slot.

Foyt playing center - should be interesting, glad to see he's getting a shot in a 'real' game. The few times he's played he has shown some talent, a good skater.

I wonder if they ever tried getting Bina to play up, with his speed and offensive skills I think he could play up.

Thanks for the recap PCM.

I liked what DH said.  He didn't dismiss Sat's loss as "no big deal" but at the same time didn't overreact to it.  I think the biggest thing this year is figuring out what is/is not a penalty.  If our D can figure it out quickly we should be all right. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What has been learned, however, so far concerning penalties? There was no consistency in the penalty filled Friday game, and Friday to Saturday was a total turn around by Anderson. Think it's safe to say that the Sioux will not get away with hooks, picks and cross checks by the D. Not sure what their opponents may or may not be able to do.

Thought the HE referee in the Maine series was far more consistent than any WCHA referee I've seen this year.

I am surprised the callers didnt say anything about the offense that scored 2 goals in 2 games compared to the gophers 8. Offense will be a bigger problem than defense this year. It sucks missing role players like Prpich  and Mcmahon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: You mean 4 goals in two games? :silly: