SiouxSports.com Forum

Latest Regional Rankings.

Let'sGoHawks!

UND will benefit from a road win against USD, like

Winona benefited from a road win against BSU.

USD's winning percentage (.700+) is inflated by playing

NAIA, D3 and weak nonconference D2 schools, so

it sort of works itself out in the end. Remember, Winona

gets penalized in many ways because of playing in the

NSIC, because their are so many poor teams there is

less opportunity to get big points for beat teams with .500

or .700+ records. Remember UND will score a lot of points

in the last couple of weeks, were Winona only has one game

to score decent points. You'll be fine. Though I will say I

find it amazing that so many are disgruntled by Winona.

Winona is no longer a much inferior team to UND, remember

you only beat Winona with less than a minute left at home.

And "the Al" is arguably one of the toughest places to play

in nation, so I guess I would be worried to have to actually

play Winona on the road. The teams you should be most

frustrated with are the Glaic teams. You smoke one and two of

their top teams lose and stay in front of you. Though this will

work itself out as well because the big hitters are starting to

play one another. A very strong UND team has been $hitting

shamrocks for years, you'll be just fine at the end of the year.

Good Luck!

Todd Burns

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I will say I find it amazing that so many are disgruntled by Winona.

Winona is no longer a much inferior team to UND, remember you only beat Winona with less than a minute left at home. And "the Al" is arguably one of the toughest places to play in nation, so I guess I would be worried to have to actually

play Winona on the road. The teams you should be most frustrated with are the Glaic teams. You smoke one and two of  their top teams lose and stay in front of you.  Good Luck!

Todd Burns

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think anyone is disgruntled about Winona. Just with the idea that somehow wins over Bemidji St. or Concordia St. Paul would possibly merit 14 points if common sense played any role in the process at all. Winona St. would probably still do well if it played a tougher schedule, but I can't say the same for anybody else in the NSIC. Winona St. is the only team in the NW region that will have a virtual bye into the playoffs every year unless one or more NSIC programs drastically improves.

I always wondered if I'd ever see a ranking as bs as this one. I don't really understand why we dropped in the polls after everyone above us lost and I really don't care to know what processes they smoked up to do it. What I did hear was that it was not really against the Sioux that they went down in the polls. Rather it is the NCC's wish not to hold a playoff game in Grand Forks, even if it would cost the league money.

Don't know if that is close to the truth, but it seems to make sense with our win and everyone else's losses (some by huge margins).

What I did hear was that it was not really against the Sioux that they went down in the polls.  Rather it is the NCC's wish not to hold a playoff game in Grand Forks, even if it would cost the league money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is perhaps the single stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. The NCC could very well hate UND with the greatest passion in the history of the world and they'd still want UND to host games. I don't know if the NCC gets a piece of the money that would be made for the game or not, but the simple fact that UND will/would be very tough to beat at home and therefore making it more likely that a NCC team would win the NC, the NCC would want UND to have games.

Here's a crazy idea that actually might work.  Get rid of the "Regional Rankings."  A team shouldn't get penalized/rewarded of where they are located within the United States.  :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't it used to be like this and then it changed when USD played NDSU for the NC?

Here's that ABSOLUTE worst scenario for this year....

Albany St. wins the SE...shouldn't happen, but you never know

Plays NE whomever.....NE wins the regional semi.

National Championship game is 91-0. I don't care who the NW/SW rep is, this is what would happen in this situation.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 6 team/region system, even though UNA might have to take advantage of that to even make the playoffs this year. One thing I'm dead set against is the earned access rule, with the conference winner getting an automatic if ranked in the top 10 in the region...that may or may not make them in the top 40 in the country.

I'd be all for taking the top 16, seeding and playing, and let's see who truly is the best team. Bottom line, the best team at the time should win the championship.....

I would think the Sioux would move up in the rankings with both Grand Valley and St. Cloud losing (although I think UNO could jump UND). Winona's position couldn't have been helped by beating Moorhead. I would think that MTU and Northwood would be 1 and 2 in the next poll, and it seems like it's possible that they could end the season with the top two seeds.

This weeks results:

1 Michigan Tech beat #9 Ferris 28-6

2 St. Cloud lost to #7 UNO 28-13

3 Northwood beat #4 GVSU 35-14

4 Grand Valley lost to #3 Northwood 35-14

5 Winona State beat MSU-Moorhead 42-0

6 North Dakota beat MSU-Mankato 20-3

7 Nebraska-Omaha beat #2 SCSU 28-13

8 Saginaw Valley beat N. Mich. 42-7

9 Ferris State lost to #1 MTU 28-6

10 South Dakota beat Upper IA 45-12

I'm pretty sure UNO won't jump over UND since UND's SSI is still higher, and obviously they have one more loss. I believe this week it will be 1. Mich. Tech; 2. Northwood; 3. Winona St.; 4. UND.

I had been concerned that even if the Sioux somehow managed to win out, they wouldn't be able to jump over Winona St., at least in SSI. However, UND got potentially a big break yesterday when Concordia-St. Paul lost again. That means that when Winona St. presumably beats them in two weeks, it will be a 12-point game rather than a 14-point game since Concordia will likely finish with an under .700 winning percentage. UND should be no lower than 3 IF they could win the last two. Actually, I believe UND could rise all the way to 2 if Michigan Tech were to lose to either Saginaw Valley at home, or to Grand Valley State at the Big House.

EDIT: I see Jim has updated his regional rankings estimator, and SCSU is still in the top 4, at number 4. If that is the case, I suspect there will be a pretty big uproar for the second week in a row over the regional rankings. It seems inconceivable that a 2-loss team who didn't even play a particularly difficult non-conference schedule (UMC, Wayne St., Northern St. and West. Wash.) could be ahead of UND, or UNO for that matter. The manner in which the SSI is calculated is really looking like a joke right now.

Other interesting games were Delta beating Harding 48-14. It's good to see Delta get to .500 after a couple of tough losses. They should at split there remaining two games as they play 2-5 Ouachita Baptist and 6-3 Arkansas-Monticello. Central Wash. beat Humbolt St. 13-3 to make them 5-4. There remaining games are against 5-3 Western Wash. and 1-6 Western Org. After Ferris loss to Tech they are 6-3 with games left against 8-1 Northwood and 6-2 Saginaw. I doubt they can win both and bring their percentage to .700. And Mesa, well they got beat by Fort Hayes 17-9, and are now 0-9, what a joke. Delta and C.W. should both finish .500 so that is good news I guess. But, it all comes down to Omaha. That's scary. Anyone think we have a chance to make playoffs if we lose to Omaha? I don't because I can't see them taking 3 from the NCC. We would however, get decent points even losing to Omaha on the road and beating S.D. at home. Do they strictly go by points for the top six in region or would other things come into play, like not letting 3 from the NCC in.

I ran through a few different scenarios last night and I think that if UND wins out, they probably get the 3rd seed. If the Sioux lose to UNO, I still think it's likely that UND gets in as probably a 6 seed (provided that they beat USD).

Other things to watch that could help the Sioux:

-Delta State needs to keep winning. They got back to .500 last week and *should* win their last two games.

-Saginaw Valley and Grand Valley both have to play Michigan Tech and SV has to play at Ferris State. I think the chances of both of the Valleys winning out are pretty slim.

-Central Washington beating Western Washington on Saturday. A CWU win assures them of finishing .500 or better (which helps the Sioux) and a WWU loss assures them of finishing below .700 (which hurts both UNO and SCSU).

Jim is your ssi correct for Northwood? It looks like you gave them 13 pts for a loss on the road? I thought the only game that scored 13pts was a win at home to a team with a winning percentage above .700? Sorry I can't find the ncaa pt schedule I had...

Edit: Forget it, it says 8 pts, I'm not sure were 13 come from...sorry