SiouxSports.com Forum

Weekend Prediction?

cfm567b27

2.  I don't think it will be Sheperd officiating, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Anderson.  He and Campion haven't officiated yet this season to my knowledge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Campion was the ref for the Gopher/Pios HOF game at the X. I have a feeling it will be Anderson. I would take Campion over any other ref in the WCHA, especially Anderson and Shepard.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say they take all the points this weekend. Spirko and Zajac will combine for 12 points between them with Spirko leading the way with 7 points this weekend. Either goals or assists which every it don't matter as long as we kick the rodents butts. The sioux will be really fired up because of the season home opener. Especially when the start the home games verses the annoying rodents. They will be really fired because they wanna prove they are a force to be recken with this year. Phillipe will have a mind blowing start this weekend for his home town crowd. That is what I am going with.

My predictions

1) Fri. Sioux win 5-2

2) Greene lays a Goofer out. :(

3) Sat. Sioux win 6-2

4) Greene lays a goofer out....again. :D

5) We see a full 60 minutes from our Sioux each night.

6) Greene lays a goofer out....again. :sad:

7) Goofers  go home swept by the mighty Fighting Sioux! ???

8) We will read POI for weeks all the goofer fans bashing this years Goofer Team.

Go Sioux!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With Greene taking penalties for every hit. :(

If ANderson is reffing?

Greene logs in more penalty box time than ice time if Anderson is reffing. :(

But yes, Greene will occupy the penalty box at least once each game.

Out of curiosity, has Greene ever had a penalty free game at UND?

NOTE: I'm not calling Matt a dirty player or a burden on the team. He just has had a bad freshman campaign and developed a reputation.

Keys to the game:

For Minnesota, the young defense must limit their mistakes and Briggs needs to play very well. More than anything I am concerned about offensive production, the power play is not clicking yet.

For NoDak, the big experienced defense need to keep the front of the net clear, I think it is in NoDak's favor to get in a shootout. The difference in my opinion will be home ice. Grand Forks is a tough draw for Minnesota so early in the year for such a young team.

Prediction: Sioux sweep. Anything less and the Gophers can feel like they stole one.

Sioux keys to success:

Take away Minnesota's transition game and they're beat.

Gophers are small but fast. Maintain physical play. Make the hits count.

Need to generate shots. 20 shots on Briggs and the Sioux will lose.

Maintain outstanding penalty kill. We'll need it.

Prediction:

Sioux sweep but both games will be low scoring and close.

Potulny goes on the disabled list.

Check this out: They are not overally confident in Gopherville:

http://www.prideonice.com/chat/viewthread....=10501&sec_id=1

I think this is the first time I have ever seen Gopher fans this unsure about a series. I think as Sioux fans we aren't positive on a sweep but anything less the 2 or 3 points is going to be disappointing. And, in the back of our minds if we play up to our potential, we win each game by a couple of goals.

Let's not forget that the first year of the Ralph we had 9 or 10 freshmen in the lineup and played the gophers tough all season including a win in Minneapolis, and if it wasn't for poor goaltending they had a decent chance at two other games. I guess what I am saying is that anything can happen when these teams play and I am not counting my chickens just because the gophers are young at defense. If they were young and untalented I would be more convinced, but they have a few games under their belts, so they won't be completely dazed, although the environment will be a little different. Some players, no matter how young seem to thrive under adverse conditions. Put me under the cautiously optimistic category.

Let's not forget that the first year of the Ralph we had 9 or 10 freshmen in the lineup and played the gophers tough all season including a win in Minneapolis, and if it wasn't for poor goaltending they had a decent chance at two other games.  I guess what I am saying is that anything can happen when these teams play and I am not counting my chickens just because the gophers are young at defense.  If they were young and untalented I would be more convinced, but they have a few games under their belts, so they won't be completely dazed, although the environment will be a little different.  Some players, no matter how young seem to thrive under adverse conditions.  Put me under the cautiously optimistic category.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you have a good comparison between the matchup in '01-'02 and this year, with the roles reversed of course. While the Sioux did play the Gophers tough in many of the games, the Gophers did win 6 of 7.

If the Gophers are to win a game from the Sioux this year, I want it to be @ Mariucci or in Ohio. Enjoy the games!

Lucia ALWAYS down-plays this series.  Last year, the Lucia-pet said that Minnesota's biggest rivalry is Michigan.  (Even though some of his players said it is the Sioux!!)  :(  :D  :sad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you are referring to when Lucia said he likes to use Michigan as a measuring stick, knowing if you can beat or skate with Michigan you can beat or skate with anyone.

The games the Gophers play with Michigan are always high intensity and when it is in the tourney the stakes are obviously high. I thoroughly despise that program. A Michigan/UW matchup is the only time I ever consider rooting for UW, then I slap myself and reluctantly pull for Michigan.

That said everyone who watches the games (Lucia included) knows that Gophers/Sioux matchup is currently as good as it gets.

Predictions:

1) Friday. 3-2 Sioux.

- Gophers go 2 for 9 on the power play. Sioux talk about taking fewer penalties.

- Brandt in goal.

- Becomes obvious that 5x5 play tilts the ice toward UND.

2) Saturday. 2-0 Sioux

- Lammy in net, shuts the door.

- everybody stays out of the box,

- late goals from Stafford and Zajac

- Sioux D has worn down MN and they can't mount a comeback

3) Sunday: churches in GF note that the singing is somewhat hoarse.

GO SIOUX!!!

Check this out:  They are not overally confident in Gopherville: 

http://www.prideonice.com/chat/viewthread....=10501&sec_id=1

I think this is the first time I have ever seen Gopher fans this unsure about a series.  I think as Sioux fans we aren't positive on a sweep but anything less the 2 or 3 points is going to be disappointing. And, in the back of our minds if we play up to our potential, we win each game by a couple of goals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I counted four sioux fans that posted in that thread ( I may be wrong) 2 said split 1 said sweep and one mumbled something about gravy on my back to back t-shirt.

Seems confidence isn't overflowing in Grand Forks even though Minnesota is very young and having a hard time putting the puck in the net.

I think there is good reason to be cautious.

Even if the Gophers haven't won any games at all, they still play us VERY well. They always seem to have a good idea of what the Sioux's number is. Inexperienced or not, the Gophers can win if they catch us flat footed. It is best to honor their capabilities. Like him or not, Lucia may be the best coach in the WCHA now that Blais has gone pro. The only coaches who are close are Eaves and Sandelin, but they are relatively young in the coaching ranks.