SiouxSports.com Forum

Weekend Prediction?

cfm567b27

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were still a wagering man, I'd wager that WPoS can hardly think right now, seeing how frustrated he is about going to a wedding in Michigan instead of to Grand Forks for the BIG series.

Hey, at least he'll be able to wear his brown leisure suit and his yellow shirt in honor of his boys on ice.

Here's saying four points for the Sioux. Probably by near identical 5-1 or 5-2 scores. Shutouts ain't outta the realm of possibilities. By the Sioux, not Briggs.

funny guys...funny... :(

I am putting out the call of a split. It has been shown that both teams can play badly and well...so it all comes down to whom plays which way which night and how many penalties are called....

I'd love to say a Gopher sweep or even three points, but I agree UND will be fired up to try and sweep and only stellar tending by Briggs will keep them from taking more than two points. That and Goligoski, Potulny and Tally scoring lots...

WPoS

Not sure on scores or results, but I have a few things I'll be looking for:

* Last year, Ballard and maybe Harrington were hurt for this series, so the Sioux forwards had a free shot at an inexperienced defensive unit for MN. They took full advantage and scored plenty of goals, with territorial and puck possession advantages as well. Sioux forwards get another crack at inexperienced MN defensemen again this weekend. Will they be up to the task of giving this group of MN kids a rude introduction to WCHA play? The Sioux play in Mankato suggests some doubt that they will punish MN as they did last year. A couple things may help UND, though: First, they're finally at home. Second, they're on the "little ice," and I still think they just don't play their game on the big ice. Third, it is MN, after all.

* UND is clearly having trouble adjusting to the new officiating, as I believe they have been shorthanded more than their opponent in every game so far (haven't checked, but it sure seems that way). Penalty-killing has been great so far, but Lucia is a PP master, and MN will probably score some PP goals.

* I think looking for 5-1 type scores this weekend will be like looking for them last weekend. MN will be looking to make a statement this weekend, and I don't think they'll just roll over. (I will be happy to be proven wrong here.)

* Who the heck does Hakstol start in goal? He has expressed a desire to get down to two goalies, and I can't see any of the three playing their way out of the rotation. Good problem to have, I guess.

Off-topic: Congrats to Rylan Kaip on his first career point Saturday.

The Gophers really ticked me off last weekend. They destroyed my prediction that UAA wouldn't win a game this year :(

The Sioux being outplayed by Kato? The Gophs losing to AA? It is like a college hockey twilight zone. I have no idea what to think of this series other than a few certains:

The Sioux will have good goaltending.

Spirko will get a point in each game.

Potulny will end up getting at least a couple of points.

I see a 3-3 tie and a 4-2 Sioux win - with an en goal.

I am pumped about the trip to NoDak this weekend but am honestly a little worried about the games. The loss vs. AA this weekend PISSED THE HELL OUT OF ME (so much so that I now have to buy a new walkman after the one I was using the other night got smashed against the door). Stupid late penalties cost the Gophers a victory I believe, that and it seems like Lucia treated this game as an exhibition in some ways.

If Briggs has a good weekend I really believe the Gophers can pull out a split. I think Chucko is going to have a stellar weekend, just a gut feeling I guess.

4 days from now we'll be on the road to Grand Forks! :(

My 2 cents:

*Goaltending - Hope to see Lammy in this weekend for at least one game

*Penalties - Don't take so many! :(

*Power Play - With the number of pentalies being called, need to take advantage of this.

I wonder who the ref will be this weekend....

I predict a Sioux sweep, 3 points at the least. Also, Zajac and Spirko each get a couple points both nights.

I'm a little concerned after last weekend. I hope to see a team ready to play hard. I predict a split - Ryan Putolny will follow up his brother's legacy of always being in the right place at the right time, only double - he's much better. But I don't know if the Gophers can get enough balance and our D should take care of business on their younger team...but still, I'm concerned...someone make me feel more confident... :(

I seriously had concerns over the Gophers defense and goaltending this season. We will find out a lot more about where these freshmen are at this weekend when they face a real forecheck for the first time.

The new concern is the slow start of the forwards outside of Ryan P. Guyer and Barry have to start contributing goals not just solid play if the Gophers are going to have a decent season.

If the Gophers manage a point this weekend I'll be thrilled. Unless of course they get it Friday, then I'll want more.

Considering that UND has not scored much in any game so far, I just hope they can avoid the crazy shootout type of game they had in the Final Five vs the Goofs.

UND needs to play solid defense first, with an aggressive set of 4 lines giving their all. If we can get that, I think the Sioux take 4 points, but the scores will probably be more like 3-2 each night.

Lets get a sweep this weekend. I know, what a prediction coming from a sioux fan but I think we really can use our defense in a big way against the gophs. they have some very skilled players and it will be tough but if we stay out of the fricken penalty box at least 1/3 of the game we should be ok....i think jake will go friday night and jordan sat although it would be interesting to see if lammy gets a start after his nice performance last saturday. ya never know.....lets get the ralph rocking...............

My predictions

1) Fri. Sioux win 5-2

2) Greene lays a Goofer out. :(

3) Sat. Sioux win 6-2

4) Greene lays a goofer out....again. :D

5) We see a full 60 minutes from our Sioux each night.

6) Greene lays a goofer out....again. :sad:

7) Goofers go home swept by the mighty Fighting Sioux! ???

8) We will read POI for weeks all the goofer fans bashing this years Goofer Team.

Go Sioux!!!!!

I predict the Sioux will win 4-2 on Friday, with Spirko gettin a goal and an assist. The gophers will come out flying on Saturday but will lose the game 3-1. Brandt and JParise will split the time in the net. Phil won't play this weekend cuz he doesn't have enough experience playing in WCHA games and especially the gophers. GO SIOUX!!!

Here are my predictions. I've decided to be optimistic instead of truly safe, so I'm saying Sioux take 3.

Things that I'll look for:

1. Ryan Potulny will be a mite cautious when Greene's on the ice with him :(

2. I don't think it will be Sheperd officiating, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Anderson. He and Campion haven't officiated yet this season to my knowledge.

3. I don't think these games are going to be high scoring. But I do think Minny will have a minimum of 5 more power plays than we will.

4. Our powerplay will get one if any goals for the weekend (still a problem).

5. The only way Minny will score on us on the power play is if the refs give them 5x3s.

6. Brandt on Friday/ JPar on Saturday. I say Brandt on Friday because he happens to be the most rested goaltender we've got. Lammy backs up both nights.

7. I think both Minny and UND are even offensively, but I think UND has the edge defensively. Briggs will be tested early and often, but he should do well. JJ in nets = easy UND 2 pts.