SiouxSports.com Forum

COVID Protocols ruin the College World Series (shocker)

NoiseInsideMyHead

At least NC State can take solace from the Jon Rahm debacle...Wolfpack guaranteed to take it all in '22.

These are the facts that form the backdrop of today's decision:

- teams have been competing for months, NCAA regionals/super-regionals for weeks, together in Omaha for > 1 week

- fans in stands at full capacity without masks or vaccines

- baseball is played outdoors, with players generally at great distance

- players (adults, at that) have had ample access to vaccines for months

Sports 2021 is shaping up to be not much better than "sports 2020".

Still no proven correlation between a positive test and illness or contagiousness.  Yet, here we are again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

At least NC State can take solace from the Jon Rahm debacle...Wolfpack guaranteed to take it all in '22.

These are the facts that form the backdrop of today's decision:

- teams have been competing for months, NCAA regionals/super-regionals for weeks, together in Omaha for > 1 week

- fans in stands at full capacity without masks or vaccines

- baseball is played outdoors, with players generally at great distance

- players (adults, at that) have had ample access to vaccines for months

Sports 2021 is shaping up to be not much better than "sports 2020".

Still no proven correlation between a positive test and illness or contagiousness.  Yet, here we are again.

Unfortunately, the NCAA didn’t explain their ruling. You are correct in that vaccines have been available. The first 2 players who tested positive were unvaccinated. It’s reasonable to assume the kid sent home was ill, but that is only an assumption. Others who subsequently tested positive had been vaccinated. The risks for transmission are much less playing a non-contact outdoor sport.  In my opinion, exposure alone would not be a reason to disqualify baseball players. If the only reason was that SC State was down to 14 kids and they had been exposed I would disagree with the decision to disqualify SC State. However, I don’t know all of the facts or details involved in the decision, nor have I seen the tournament protocols. This should be a wake up call for athletes who aren’t vaccinated to consider the ramifications. I hope all athletic departments, teams, and athletes are being counseled by competent medical staff that are advising them based on the facts and scientific evidence.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Unfortunately, the NCAA didn’t explain their ruling. You are correct in that vaccines have been available. The first 2 players who tested positive were unvaccinated. It’s reasonable to assume the kid sent home was ill, but that is only an assumption. Others who subsequently tested positive had been vaccinated. The risks for transmission are much less playing a non-contact outdoor sport.  In my opinion, exposure alone would not be a reason to disqualify baseball players. If the only reason was that SC State was down to 14 kids and they had been exposed I would disagree with the decision to disqualify SC State. However, I don’t know all of the facts or details involved in the decision, nor have I seen the tournament protocols. This should be a wake up call for athletes who aren’t vaccinated to consider the ramifications. I hope all athletic departments, teams, and athletes are being counseled by competent medical staff that are advising them based on the facts and scientific evidence.  

name me one professional athlete in the last 18 months that even came close to dying.....you won't find one because 85 year people with diabetes and high blood pressure aren't first basemen for the yankees....

get real ira

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

name me one professional athlete in the last 18 months that even came close to dying.....you won't find one because 85 year people with diabetes and high blood pressure aren't first basemen for the yankees....

get real ira

How many patients do you see each day?  I would be surprised if you could explain how the virus infects people, how the vaccine works, the safety and efficacy of the vaccine, what is in it.  I’m guessing you get your information from social media or some whack job web site that focuses on politics. If all you know is that most people haven’t contracted COVID, that most that contract it survive, and most people who die or are severely ill are elderly or have pre-existing conditions, then good for you but that doesn’t cut it. You haven’t a clue. My comments were for athletes to consider the ramifications and make informed decisions.

“Get real Ira?”  My world is real, where people die and my job is to prevent that. There is no reason to derail a discussion of what it seems the NCAA did to SC State with shallow, ignorant comments from someone who has neither the expertise nor the experience to understand the issue. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

How many patients do you see each day?  I would be surprised if you could explain how the virus infects people, how the vaccine works, the safety and efficacy of the vaccine, what is in it.  I’m guessing you get your information from social media or some whack job web site that focuses on politics. If all you know is that most people haven’t contracted COVID, that most that contract it survive, and most people who die or are severely ill are elderly or have pre-existing conditions, then good for you but that doesn’t cut it. You haven’t a clue. My comments were for athletes to consider the ramifications and make informed decisions.

“Get real Ira?”  My world is real, where people die and my job is to prevent that. There is no reason to derail a discussion of what it seems the NCAA did to SC State with shallow, ignorant comments from someone who has neither the expertise nor the experience to understand the issue. 

so......zero athletes?

I really hope all athletes are getting vaccinated at UND.  I know plenty of them already had covid, but with new strains, that's no guarantee not to get infected.  I'd hate for an outbreak to ruin a season or postseason. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

What?  You comparing my credentials to yours?  I’ve taken care of literally thousands of athletes. Mostly high school athletes as a team physician. Also previously served as a college team physician. I still take care of number of college athletes, former NHL  and NFL athletes. Over the past 15 years, NFL players and their family members, NHL players and former players, collegiate athletes from Div 1,2,3 schools. How about you?  How many athletes do you care for?  I have also been responsible for vaccinating thousands of soldiers in preparation for combat and taken care of wounded soldiers on the battlefield. 
How about you?  What is it that would make me think I should forget my training, experience and defer to you with regards to anything medical including dealing with athletes and vaccines. If you want me to dumb it down for you, PM me. Don’t ruin another thread with politics please. 

who is bringing politics into this thread?

no matter what you ramble on about there is ZERO reason why that baseball game couldn't be played......ZERO

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

who is bringing politics into this thread?

no matter what you ramble on about there is ZERO reason why that baseball game couldn't be played......ZERO

Which is what I said in the first place. I qualified my statement by recognizing that we don’t know all of the facts. 
You seem to be unable to comprehend that. You commented some unrelated info about 85 y/o and you challenged my experience with athletes. I answered. I challenged your expertise. I guess your inability to provide evidence is in itself your answer. 

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

Which is what I said in the first place. I qualified my statement by recognizing that we don’t know all of the facts. 
You seem to be unable to comprehend that. You commented some unrelated info about 85 y/o and you challenged my experience with athletes. I answered. I challenged your expertise. I guess your inability to provide evidence is in itself your answer. 

the average age of someone dying from covid is/was around 80 with multiple health problems.....all the more reason for kids in the prime of their lives to live in a bubble and not play a baseball game.

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the average age of someone dying from covid is/was around 80 with multiple health problems.....all the more reason for kids in the prime of their lives to live in a bubble and not play a baseball game.

I stated I disagreed with the NCAA. The problem as I see it is the NCAA isn’t concerned with our opinions. However, I stand by my comment that athletes who refuse to get vaccinated should make sure they get accurate and factual information when making a decision about vaccinations and consider the ramifications of going unvaccinated. There have been multiple athletes who have had to miss games and multiple teams who have missed games including tournaments and playoffs. Those are facts that should be considered as athletes make their decisions. 

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

I stated I disagreed with the NCAA. The problem as I see it is the NCAA isn’t concerned with our opinions. However, I stand by my comment that athletes who refuse to get vaccinated should make sure they get accurate and factual information when making a decision about vaccinations and consider the ramifications of going unvaccinated. There have been multiple athletes who have had to miss games and multiple teams who have missed games including tournaments and playoffs. Those are facts that should be considered as athletes make their decisions. 

making some big assumptions ira by saying anyone that doesn't get the vaccine is "refusing" it....there are lots and lots of reason why people are not getting the vaccine...whether it be medical, religious, or historical reasons.

11 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

making some big assumptions ira by saying anyone that doesn't get the vaccine is "refusing" it....there are lots and lots of reason why people are not getting the vaccine...whether it be medical, religious, or historical reasons.

The reasons for refusing/declining to be vaccinated are up to the individual. I’ve assumed nothing. My point is that in making the personal decision to be vaccinated or not,  one should make sure they have received factual information, hopefully from their own physician or provider, and consider the ramifications (risks/benefits for themselves and their teammates).  Seems like a common sense approach. 

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

The reasons for refusing/declining to be vaccinated are up to the individual. I’ve assumed nothing. My point is that in making the personal decision to be vaccinated or not,  one should make sure they have received factual information, hopefully from their own physician or provider, and consider the ramifications (risks/benefits for themselves and their teammates).  Seems like a common sense approach. 

You mean tiktok videos might not be providing sound medical advice.  ;)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

common sense went out the window a long time ago when a 22 year old person with no symptoms goes to get a covid test (hoping to win a giftcard or get a 10-14 day vacation from work)....tests positive and on his way home on his bike gets hit by a car and killed and our Gov has a press conference stating that a perfectly healthy 22 year old died "of or with" Covid.

• Upvote 3