SiouxSports.com Forum

Weekend Scores

Corella

There were 2 scores that really caught my eye Sat. The first one was the Bison-Carson Newman score. Yet again, a team from the south comes to North Dakota and is supposed to be a national title contender, only to be slaughtered. That tis the 1st thing I thought when I saw the score, the Southern teams get so overhyped every single year, and this is yet another example of it.

The second score that caught my eye, our old friends from Newberry College did something that made me laugh hysterically. They played at Coastal Carolina, a 1-AA team that was 2-0 on the year, after already beating 2 other 1-AA teams, and Newberry beat them 21-7 and outgained them almost 450 to 200. Newberry, the same team that UND and us fans have taken so much crap about for the last year from Bison fans. Newberry, the word that preceeded "is what is wrong with D2". Ironic and funny all at once.

Coastal Carolina is only in their second year of having a football program (not just I-AA, but ANY football). The two wins they have were against DI-AA non-scholarship (PFL teams) and they barely squeaked by in those. With mainly freshman and sophmores on the team(some transfers- but nobody with more than two years on the team), they're not a good measuring stick.

Newberry, on the other hand, is interesting. They beat a fledgling I-AA program, and have beat two DII schools by a combined 94-19. Maybe this is their year to have a winning record, maybe they will make the playoffs.

Yet again, a team from the south comes to North Dakota and is supposed to be a national title contender, only to be slaughtered. That tis the 1st thing I thought when I saw the score, the Southern teams get so overhyped every single year, and this is yet another example of it.

I tried to post this over on Bisonville and got laughed at. I knew it would be a blow out just like UND-UNA last year.

Southern teams just don't have defense (unless we're talking about SEC, ACC, Southland, or SoCon teams).

Another intersting thing: what if NDSU was still D2 this year. The only possible recruit that you could take away from us is Washington, but we still might have gotten him with the promise of going DI next year.

We would walk through DII blindfolded if that really was the 3rd best team in the nation!

We would walk through DII blindfolded if that really was the 3rd best team in the nation!

Somehow I knew that a Bison fan would be on here talking about how yesterday's game proves they could now kill every DII team. It was one game and the Bison won. I think we should send them the Nickel since it would now be unnecessary to play for it.

The Bison have a good team this year and would have been a contender in DII. Believe me, that would have been more exciting for you Bison guys than beating up the little guys all season.

A couple other games of interest were UNO getting handled by a traditionally average Western Washington program in a game that perhaps wasn't even as close as the 10-point margin of victory would suggest. It's interesting that the talk out of Omaha coming into the season was that this was perhaps the best defense they've had in the Behrns era, but they've been lit up twice in four games.

The other game of interest was MSU-Mankato hammering the supposed second-best team in the NSIC--Concordia-St. Paul. That should pretty much end the chirping from certain NSIC fans that occurred after Concordia beat Augie and UMD. It certainly appears right now that UMD is the worst team, perhaps by far, in the NCC. How they only managed to beat Moorhead, who appeared through three weeks to be making a bid for the worst team in all of dII, is beyond me. Bubba can't be having much fun right now.

Another intersting thing: what if NDSU was still D2 this year. The only possible recruit that you could take away from us is Washington, but we still might have gotten him with the promise of going DI next year.

I suppose none of the Juco kids the Bison brought in are playing then? That must not have been A.J. Cooper scoring a TD yesterday? Isaac Lavante and Alvin Robinson haven't played a snap at DE yet? I'm sure Rodney Thompson hasn't factored into the DT rotation since he recovered from injury. That is 4 right there to add to Washington.

Perhaps you should worry about GVSU first.

It still doesn't change the fact that no matter how many times NDSU beats a team like Carson, they're going nowhere in their division and have zero chance at post season play - and that's a shame. NDSU could have had a Nat'l Championship contending team this year and that team has been wasted at the expense of the fans who won't even realize it until UND is advancing and the Bison season is over.

If UND plays for and/or wins a D2 Nat'l Championship, all the Bison fans will be able to say is "we could've done that"...which is really lame. That goes to your comment re: how the Bison could kill all the D2 teams which is simple speculation on your part and very doubtful at best.

Believe me, we would be more concerned with gvsu than ndsu even if ndsu was still in d2.

i SECOND that!! The Lakers have it going now (kind of like your team did a couple decades ago) Fortunately, they're able to wear the crown WITHOUT the insufferable arrogance that seems to afflicted others. You are wise to speak well of the lakers....otherwise you may summon the MONSTER who will lay the smacketh upon thy head and otherwise demolish you with his clever logic. :D

Supertrex,

Despite being a Sioux fan, your logic is flawed. I can only assume NDSU thinks it can compete for an NCAA title almost every year in D-II. I don't think they jumped to DI-AA with the thought of winning a national title in their very first year there. Their thought process must have been "well, even if UND wins a D-II national title in 2004 and some grumbling ensues about why we jumped up, it's still small-time football." NDSU's goals were more long-term.

That being said, let's review this in, say, 3-5 years and see what happens. My guess is the more successful UND is in women's basketball and men's football, the more whining you'll hear from Fargo about why the jump was made in the first place. Of course, if NDSU pounds out a D1-AA national football title and maybe a women's national championship in D-1 basketball, they will thumb their noses at UND and say "we're Division I, ha ha!". It'll be interesting, to say the least, to see what pans out.

There's no "AA" in womens basketball.

UConn, Tennessee, and a host of other DIs will keep that from happening for a long, long time.

Definitely, although I think there is a better chance in womens' bball to advance farther in the tournament than on the mens' side. SMS made it to the final 4 twice in the 90's (the last one may have been 2000, but I think you get my point). Also, teams like Old Dominon and Louisiana Tech are consisitently pretty good. At any rate, first the Bison have to get into a conference, be competitive in that conference, and then worry about national prominence (if it ever happens). If Amy Ruley can recruit well during the transition period and we're in a conference, I see no reason why the women won't be competing for a tournament in their first year of eligibility.

i SECOND that!! The Lakers have it going now (kind of like your team did a couple decades ago) Fortunately, they're able to wear the crown WITHOUT the insufferable arrogance that seems to afflicted others. You are wise to speak well of the lakers....otherwise you may summon the MONSTER who will lay the smacketh upon thy head and otherwise demolish you with his clever logic. :D

You better believe that!! I'll be bringing my whole crew with me. :angry:

16.jpg

You don't want any of the Monster, Homer J. Simpson, and the Allentucky Goalpost Humper.

To see more of my peeps! :)

Sicatoka,

I know there's no women's D1-AA basketball tournament. I did edit my post. I should be working, so perhaps that explains my poor clarity.

SMS did make a nice run a few years ago...I'm sure Amy Ruley is dreaming of Geno Auremia trekking UConn to Fargo, but it's not gonna happen...

Wow...are those Grand Valley State Laker football fans or St Cloud State hockey fans? Oh wait, nevermind. They must be GVSU football fans because there are no signs protesting the racist Sioux nickname! Duh!

Holy Snikees! After seeing some of the GVSU hotties, it's obvious that those fans aren't from St Cloud! Thanks for the pics!

Funny story...two years ago, Minnesota played St Cloud at the WCHA Final Five. A group of fans surrounding were all related to each other....some Minny fans and some St Cloud fans. One of the more non-sober Minny fans turns around and yells to his buddy as the St Cloud cheerleaders hit the ice..."Hey, Brad, at least your cheerleaders live up the team nickname....HUSKY!" I have never laughed harder in my life. :D

Wow...are those Grand Valley State Laker football fans or St Cloud State hockey fans?  Oh wait, nevermind.  They must be GVSU football fans because there are no signs protesting the racist Sioux nickname!  Duh!

Couldn't be us. Hell, we had us some chants of "fags wear purple" directed towards the Ashland players. :angry: *disclaimer*Not that there is anything wrong with being a homosexual*

MafiaMan, I'm sure you must have enjoyed the shots of the Laker Dance Team. Almost as good as drunken Russian girls eh comrade??

Oh, and at least SCSU has girls. You should see the total sausage factory that is Ferris. You could be an obese hermaphradite with an odor problem and those guys would still be hitting on you. :angry::D:)