SiouxSports.com Forum

Weekend Scores

Corella

That being said, let's review this in, say, 3-5 years and see what happens. My guess is the more successful UND is in women's basketball and men's football, the more whining you'll hear from Fargo about why the jump was made in the first place. Of course, if NDSU pounds out a D1-AA national football title and maybe a women's national championship in D-1 basketball, they will thumb their noses at UND and say "we're Division I, ha ha!". It'll be interesting, to say the least, to see what pans out.

More likely, dispite any success in women's bball and men's football UND has in DII, any success NDSU has in DI is going to cause UND fans to say "hey, we can do that!". You have the facilities, the recruiting base (same as ours), and the alumni financial support.

Minneapolis+North Dakota can support 2 I-AA schools as UMN looks out of MN for the majority of their talent.

Speaking of UNA-DSU, it seems some people never learn about the quality of midwest football compared to the south, at least as it pertains to dII:

A national semifinalist in 2003, UNA is 2-0 and brings a No. 6 national ranking to Cleveland on Saturday (6 p.m.) to play 16th-ranked Delta State, 1-1.

"They'll be the best team we've played, and we played North Dakota, which is No. 1 (in some polls) in the country," said DSU coach Rick Rhoades. "That should tell you something.

"I think North Alabama is better than North Dakota; they've got more speed. We have our work cut out for us, no question."

Give me a break. :D

Definitely, although I think there is a better chance in womens' bball to advance farther in the tournament than on the mens' side. SMS made it to the final 4 twice in the 90's (the last one may have been 2000, but I think you get my point). Also, teams like Old Dominon and Louisiana Tech are consisitently pretty good. At any rate, first the Bison have to get into a conference, be competitive in that conference, and then worry about national prominence (if it ever happens). If Amy Ruley can recruit well during the transition period and we're in a conference, I see no reason why the women won't be competing for a tournament in their first year of eligibility.

Sounds like a typical "pumping up the other team", getting them thinking they are pretty tough and then going out and throttling em. There is no way in his right mind he thinks UNA is better than UND.

Speed? We had no problem with speed, we haven't had problems with speed since the early 90's when we had to go to UNA (when they were giving out 66 scholarships or whatever :D ).

Speaking of UNA-DSU, it seems some people never learn about the quality of midwest football compared to the south, at least as it pertains to dII:

I have to laugh sometimes about some southerners and their football. They believe all success on the football field is a direct derivative of speed and not much else. Of course speed is important, but if you consistently get beaten at the point of attack, you're not going to have an opportunity to use it.

I wonder who DSU quarterback Scott Eyster thinks has the better defense- the UNA team that didn't record a sack the entire game and allowed the DSU running game to flourish or UND, who shut down the running game, recorded 6 sacks and sent Eyster home with a monster of a headache? :)

Back to the topic of this thread:

Delta State 28 <--- helps UND's strength of schedule

North Alabama 21

Eastern Washington 39

Central Washington 8 <--- loses to a DI-AA, but scores on them :)

Mesa State is not going to be helping UND's strength of schedule. Mesa has now dropped to 0-4 after losing its first two conference games, including one to New Mexico Highlands, who had not won a game in over two years. :D

Sounds like typical souther football BS. It's esp. bad in DII where they simply put all their fastest players on offense and think that automatically equals wins.

They have s#!% defenses which is why they consistantly get beat by the better West, North, and East reigon DII teams.

DIAA probably has teams like that as well, but most of the Southland and SoCon are fairly solid.