SiouxSports.com Forum

DI hockey to pick up NHL slack?

Bisonfan1234

At my house also, college hockey gets more exposure than the NHL. I am not just talking about Sioux hockey either. I have a dish so I get other games, mainly east coast, and like watching them more than a random NHL game. College seems much more exciting to me. To answer the original question: I don't see ESPN picking up many college games. Poker or bowling sadly would get better ratings. It would be great if I was wrong and we could watch games on ESPN or at least ESPN2!

Nope. ESPN will most likely just show more poker on TV. Yea...that's a sport.

Maybe. It really depends upon the day.

I think the biggest benefactor for this whole thing is that now they can air more college basketball. ESPN's own surveys believe that college basketball has higher rankings than it really has. Of course, they probably poll places that have DI basketball.... like Chapel Hill, Raleigh/Durham, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Syracuse, etc. If they ever polled an equal distribution of places even within the same state as DI bball programs, their numbers may be a bit less flattering to their true sports love.

In any case, lots of college and high school bball and poker (which is enough of a sport to be petitioning to make it an Olympic event),

It says there are 58 DI teams, but how many are of UND quality. I'm assuimg UND has the nicest arena in all of college hockey.

Though they're subjective qualities, most would say UND is in the top few teams in terms of arena niceness and long-term team competitiveness.

I'm not in the camp that expects the NHL lockout to be good for college hockey. To the contrary, I think the NHL players are hurting hockey players' reputations and further putting hockey out of the minds of Americans. It won't matter in hotbeds like Grand Forks, but it could hurt hockey's national stature as a growing youth sport, which would in turn work to limit any nationalization of college hockey.

Interesting, however, how many of the DI teams would you consider to have a chance at being a national champion this year?

Tough question, I could probably come up with a field of 10 that I would say has a 50% chance of containing the eventual champ. However, my field of 10 most certainly wouldn't have contained Denver last year (picked for 5th in the WCHA, finished 4th, hadn't won it all since 1969). Of course, a surprise champ like that is much more likely from the WCHA than from any other conference, so maybe you could make a list of 20 that you were 80% sure would contain the champ.

I think we'll see the regional sports networks pick up more games. So if you have a dish you might be in luck.

My feeling is that hockey fans tend to be hockey fans. There aren't many casual fans. Therefore, I don't expect a huge drop off in fan support after this mess. Though this will hurt the sports growth.

Fraction-wise about the same fraction of college hockey teams have a real shot at a national title as the fraction of DI football teams that have a real shot at a BCS title. Fraction-wise, it's probably the same for college basketball as college hockey also. (Who's picking IUPUI to win the Final Four? Alabama-Huntsville in the Frozen Four? Louisiana-Monroe for the BCS?)

It's almost a requirement to be near the top in a top conference or you won't be strong enough to get it done.

As far as arenas, when former (arch-rival) Gopher, NHLer, and US Olympian, Neil Broten says, "I've been in a lot of rinks, and there isn't any better than this," you know it's probably the best anywhere.

So really, only teams from the WCHA, CCHA, and HE have a chance?

I would through the ECAC in there. There chances are less than the other 4 but are much greater than the CHA and AHA (or whatever the hell they're called).

Colgate has had some good recruiting classes. Harvard has had some good teams. I believe Harvard was the last ECAC team to win it all, that was in the early 90's. This is off the top of my head though.

As far as arenas, when former (arch-rival) Gopher, NHLer, and US Olympian, Neil Broten says, "I've been in a lot of rinks, and there isn't any better than this," you know it's probably the best anywhere.

So with all the marble and leather seats and fancy electronic score board, etc., really the only think that keeps the REA from being the best arena in the world is its capacity?

I have been in the REA once and it was very nice, but I think the Xcel is probably a slight better arena.

So with all the marble and leather seats and fancy electronic score board, etc., really the only think that keeps the REA from being the best arena in the world is its capacity?

I have been in the REA once and it was very nice, but I think the Xcel is probably a slight better arena.

Huh? Who mentioned anything about capacity? Doesn't appear that Neal Broten did. :p

Why are you asking hockey questions, anyway? That's one 'think' that I just don't understand. :love:

The X is the better arena (i.e. capacity). As a side note, I've been in the third deck of The X watching a game. The players look bigger on a television screen.

The Ralph is the better overall facility (arena, training spaces, additional spaces available).

PS - Marble is soft. Those floors are granite. :p